AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a few posts saying a new input/output will ne needed for PVR's and HDTV. Am I missing something or why would anything be needed? The Tuner/Reciver is outside the tv, then you feed comp. into the set, could those comp. not go to a PVR and then from the PVR to the TV? Am I missing something http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Just want to make sure I have it all correct before I lay down big bucks for a set.

So far I know I should make sure to get

2 sets of comp.

svideo set for NTSC

something that will do 720p

1080i

16:9

Anything else I need to watch for http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Thanks

------------------

Chris

·
Registered
887 Posts
Yes you are missing something! It's not just the connections that need to be changed/supplemented , it's the guts of the PVRs, which only work for regular TV and don't handle the "bandwidth" needed for HD. You should check out the forum on HDTV recorders but the product you're looking for (HD-PVR) isn't yet available....

This issue probably should not significantly affect which set/display you select (with the big bucks)

Andy

·
Registered
276 Posts
Even more importantly then the fact that no PVR currently available accepts component inputs (much less HD inputs), there is the copy protection issue. It is 99.999% sure that there will be no HD PVR that doesn't support copy protection. The current front runner is known as 5C and works over a 1394 (aka Firewire aka iLink) cable. More then likely any HD PVRs will require a 1394 connection between TV and PVR, so the TV will need to be able to handle both a 1394 connection and 5C copy protection. The new 2002 Mitsubishi HD sets will be available with 1394/5C inputs, and they have promised an upgrade module for their current sets which will add the 1394/5C input. Other manufacturers may be adding 1394 into their 2002 product line. While I wouldn't let this issue be the deciding factor in purchasing an HDTV, it is good to keep in mind.

--Andrew

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is what I was looking for http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Anyone know about the Hitachi's or Toshibas? I have not really been impressed with the Mit's for the $ they are. I have seen beter picture quality on the Hitachi's over the Mit and for 2k less...

------------------

Chris

·
Registered
71 Posts
That "promise" module is still a LOOOOOOONG way off.
http://www.tvinsite.com/twice/index....=searchResults

Seems like you'd want to do the upgradeable tv, then the upgrade module, and then the fully integrated system. Oh well...I guess they figure the early adopters can wait a full 3 years for this "promise" module. Wouldn't want to reward early adopters or anything.

Thank god for this forum. If I hadn't found several references to good info on twice.com, I never would've tracked down the real info on this upgrade. Saved me from making a $2k mistake.

Mark

·
Registered
276 Posts
When I mentioned the upgrade, my point was that for those (like me) whose several thousand dollar purchase of a Mits HDTV should last a long time, they will have the opportunity to upgrade their set to 1394/5C. With other manufacturers TVs, it is pretty certain that you will have to buy a new TV to be able to use an HD PVR.

That said - like I said before - I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor. IT is good to know, but if you like another TV better for whatever reason, then go for it. Just go for it with your eyes open.

If I were in the market for an HDTV today, I would wait until the 2002 models come out form the various CE companies. Some of them will have 1394 connections and if an HD PVR was important to me, I'd go for the HDTV that supported 1394 and 5C.

--Andrew

·
Registered
549 Posts
I don't know if it's clear whether or not there will be PVR with component video out. I think it's pretty clear that PVR won't use component video IN though. It wouldn't make any sense to build a box capable of doing HDTV-res MPEG compression for consumer use. A DTV PVR would work like a DirecTivo or UltimateTV, storing already compressed data directly from OTA or satellite.

Now how to get it out is another issue. The studios may not be that scared of PVR if it provides only high-res analog component out and no digital out. Then it's not significantly worse than current STB if there is difficulty to get access to the data on the drive. Maybe they want to ban high-res analog component output (making most people's current HD sets useless), but we should fight them on this.

For digital out, certainly there will be copy protection for this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.