AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I think its my settings on my SR8200 Marantz receiver but not sure since I've gone over it a coupla times...Bass does not seem to come up to the level of the mains when the volume is turned up...turning it down and the bass is right there but seems to disappear when cranked...Whats up with this??...Is it me or do I have to adjust a certain setting different?? ...BTW the sub's x-over is at 120 (tried 100 also) and the gain is about half...on the receiver I set the sub up +4 to try and rectify the problem but not much different...mains and center set to small also.

P.S. There is a bass peak level setting which I set to +5 (You start at -75 and keep cranking it till you think ur sub starts distorting) Maybe this is wrong...I dunno...Any help out there?? :confused:

Yosh70

·
Registered
60 Posts
Did you calibrate your system with Video Essentials or Avia?

What is your phase knob set to? Try either '0' or '180' and see if you hear a difference.

What is the volume level on the sub amp set to? Although this may vary among members, I usually set mine to the '12:00' position. If it's too much

I would just turn it down until you reach the level of volume that you like.

Where do you have the sub placed? In a corner of the room? Next to the TV? Out in the room as a coffee table?

For now, put the bass peak level to the 'zero' setting. You can adjust (if necessary) that once you know you have the expected performance coming from your sub.

Let us know and we could help you better.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, first off, how do you have your sub connected? If your using the line level output of the receiver to your sub, make sure your speaker settings are SMALL for all of them. Then, your subwoofer setting should be set to LFE + Mains or something like that. That will route all the bass to your subwoofer, not just an LFE channel from a 5.1 digital track.

I assume your using the line out, if not, post again and we can discuss that. I have the Marantz AV-9000 and love it, so I'm very familliar with marantz setups.

If your setup is correct, it's odd that your bass level decreses with volume level, normally it's the opposite because of the non linearity of our ears. I don't think it has anything to do with phase, and if you think you have the bass nicely adjusted with the subs sensitivity control (volume control) to match the main speakers at the crossover, discuss your setup a little more...

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Yosh, can you defeat the peak limiter? If so, I would get it out of the loop. At least until you figured this out. How large is the room? Where do you have the PW2200 located?(and how far from the key seating). Have you calibrated with a SPL meter?

Could you offer an example of the type of DVD scene that this problem seems LEAST noticeable and one scene that it seems MOST noticeable on?

TV

·
Registered
42 Posts
The peak limiter cannot be taken out of the look, and is definatly not the problem, I have the same type of marantz setup as his receiver and have no problems with bass loss. Plus, if it were room placement, you would have no bass/extreme bass at any level, not just when you turn it up.

How loud do you mean loud when cranking?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
>>>The peak limiter cannot be taken out of the look, and is definatly not the problem, I have the same type of marantz setup as his receiver and have no problems with bass loss. 2500 cu-ft with the subwoofer a decent distance from the listening position(>3 meters?)...this could definitely be an issue to consider.

TV

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok before I got this receiver I had a Denon AVR1801 and the bass seemed to increase with the volume on that one...just to summarize, my speakers are all set to small (Studio 60's, CC and Titans for rears) the phase knob is at 0 (the sub is right between my TV and left speaker), the gain(volume) is at about half and x-over is about 100-120HZ. Now when Im talking loud, Im saying somewhere in the -5 to +5 range on the receiver. My room is a good size (roughly 25' X 15') but obviously its something on the receiver that I dont have set quite right since my old one was OK. Maybe if someone can give me their settings for the peak, DB setting for LFE etc. then maybe I could start there...Im gonna call my buddy at the store and get him to bring his SPL meter and properly configure this thing as well.

Thanx to all who have replied and am willing to listen to any more suggestions.

Yosh70

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Is it possible you were using one of the Denon's *super bass* modes(having the speakers and the sub producing bass)...but with the marantz...it is just the sub right now?

TV

·
Premium Member
4,292 Posts
I know this is off topic and I apologize for that. But, you should have your crossover turned all the way up (150hz I think) or completely removed. This will not fix the problem you are asking about, but it does need to be done. I have the Servo15/40s setup and was erroneously using my x-30 about 1 year ago. Your receiver is acting as the crossover in your system and the x-30 should be doing nothing more than providing a convenient volume control for your sub. If you place 2 crossovers in the path, you increase the slope of the crossover and effectively cut off some wanted bass. Again, this will not fix your problem with bass loss at high volumes, but it should allow your system to sound more seamless when handing lower frequencies from your sub to your 60s.

reaper

·
Registered
42 Posts
Couple of things here....

1) The loss of bass at high levels would be a subwoofer reaching it's max SPL of bass support, NOT the room supporting the bass.

2) Reaper is totally correct with the crossover setting. The subs crossover should be set ABOVE the receivers setting....

I'm not sure what the crossover region is on your marantz model, on mine I don't have a variable crossover, when in a specific mode it's 100 Hz, nothing more or less.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I tried changing some other settings and I think it sounds alot closer to what I am looking for...On the bass peak level setting, I set it to the highest setting (+18db)...now before it was set somewhat closer to 0 but it start to distort if I went much higher...the thing I dont understand is what should the gain on ur sub be when you set this setting?...I turned it down in order to set it to the max so I wouldnt seperate the voice coil! :D

Now the bass is more pronounced when playing at a louder volume(ahhhh)

Another thing I tried is setting the three front speakers to large as AC/DC

seemed to be screaming in my ear from the center...the transition is alot smoother now with the speakers picking up a little of the bottom end. Now

I have to wait prolly another week til the wife goes out again so I can try some movies and see if this helped :p

Yosh70

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And just to let y'all know this sub has been tested with a finding of 109DB SPL reading at 32-62 HZ....lots for this room anyways!!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know the story behind large vs small....had em all at small for over a year...just that it DID sound a little better switched to large...now that was just for music DVD...movies may sound better with the speakers set to small...who knows? Maybe a Servo15 is due next? :D

P.S. Im still not 100% happy with this new Marantz receiver yet...bass management on my Denon almost seemed better :( I hope I made the right decision (the 4802 looks pretty good;except the cost!)

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One more thing...A guy mentioned on his Servo15 that he removed his X-30

and plugged the interconnect directly into his receiver and found it sounded quite a bit better...maybe somethin to try??

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bumpety-bump

·
Premium Member
4,292 Posts
I've been thinking about removing the x-30 but it is convenient for changing bass volume. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep it in mind the next time the wifey goes out of town and I can tweak ;)

reaper

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.