AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
LG C7, Denon AVR+amps, JBL 580s+520, Elac UB5s, KEF Q350s, SVS+Hsu subs, Schitt, Bluesound.
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to buy one of these sets. I like the price of the 75U. The 77U has the anti-glare screen, but is $340 higher on Amazon ($xxxx vs $xxxx) and I'm wondering if it's worth it.

Also, if I will be using a surround system and have cable, would it make sense to get a monitor only set, like last year's 42ph9uk? Has anyone heard if they're going to release a new 42" monitor-only set (with the same picture improvements that the 77U has) anytime soon?

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark754 /forum/post/0

I'm planning to buy one of these sets. I like the price of the 75U. The 77U has the anti-glare screen, but is $340 higher on Amazon ($xxxx vs $XXXX) and I'm wondering if it's worth it.

Also, if I will be using a surround system and have cable, would it make sense to get a monitor only set, like last year's 42ph9uk? ?

Aside from the Anti-Glare screen i don't think the PX77U is worth the extra $340, but if glare and reflection will be a problem when watching TV then it may be worth the extra cost.

The Industrial model's limited inputs sometimes make it difficult (or even impossible in my case) to integrate it into your A/V system. It doesn't have HDMI so you'd have to buy one or two HDMI terminal boards at like $150 each, and if you're not wall-mounting it you also have to buy the optional table stand and the price soon exceeds the Consumer models. The PX75U/PX77U is ready to go out of the box, and having the built in HD tuner is nice to pull in the local HD channels that cable doesn't carry, and they have the ability to stretch or zoom an HD signal where the Industrial models cannot (handy when watching 4:3 content on the digital HD channels).

·
Registered
LG C7, Denon AVR+amps, JBL 580s+520, Elac UB5s, KEF Q350s, SVS+Hsu subs, Schitt, Bluesound.
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. The two models are so close, it seems pointless to even offer them both.

The industrial model seems more trouble than it's worth. I didn't know it doesn't even have HDMI inputs.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
panasonic has already lowered the msrp on some of their new sets. and the 42px77u and the 50px77u are only $100 higher msrp now then the 75u models. msrp of the 42" 75u/77u are $1599/1699 and the 50" are $2299/2399 now. give em a couple weeks and a few resellers get the 77's in stock and the street pricing should adjust soon.

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for the info. The two models are so close, it seems pointless to even offer them both.

Well according to owners, the PX77U does an amazing job of reducing reflection and glare which could mean the difference of having great Plasma picture quality if the room is bright, vs settling for the lesser PQ and the other adverse issues of an LCD TV. This is a great way for Panasonic to steal some of the thunder from the 40" and 46" and 52" LCD market.

And i think the PX77U's cabinet is more attractive than the PX75U cabinet (lower, wider, and a little more elegant looking). The PX77U also has side-mounted side-firing speakers that are said to sound better than the PX75's under-screen speakers. If i were to choose between the two, i'd pick the PX77 myself

·
Registered
216 Posts
The 77 has the speakers on the side for a narrower profile and the controls and SD slot are on the right side instead of bottom. That and the anti-glare glass make it a nicer set to look at in my opinion. Also with the 77 you get the programmable remote. I am under the impression that the 75's remote is not the programmable one.

The actual online price difference is more like $100 to $200 and I have seen it shrink to less than that.

I got my 50PX77 this weekend and I'm lovin it.

·
Registered
216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_D /forum/post/0

When I bought my 77u this weekend, the price was only $50 different at a major nationwide retailer with CC initials.

Yeah me too. That was really a killer price for the 77.

They way that price was only available from Thursday to Sunday and not Memorial Day leads me to believe that was an error on their part but a great deal for those who were alert and ready to buy. I bought the previous weekend but was able to get a price match since the set had not even been delivered yet.

If they are going to sell them so close in price I'm not sure why you wouldn't go for the 77.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I found the 77u online, over the Memorial Day weekend for $200.00 cheaper than the retailer with the CC initials. On top of that, no tax and free shipping, so I made a killing! I take delivery of the set on Friday, along with a new stand and DirecTV HD DVR. I can't wait till Friday......

·
Registered
540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gscavezze /forum/post/0

I found the 77u online, over the Memorial Day weekend for $200.00 cheaper than the retailer with the CC initials. On top of that, no tax and free shipping, so I made a killing! I take delivery of the set on Friday, along with a new stand and DirecTV HD DVR. I can't wait till Friday......

I'm not willing to take the chance of returning such a large and fragile item through the mail, so I was happy to pay the premium. The sheer volume of I bought this and returned it posts in this forum scared me away from that route.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies. I think I've decided to get the 77U and will try to find one this weekend.

BTW, my viewing distance will be 9 feet and I'm a little concerned that the 42" won't be quite big enough. OTOH, a 50" (especially a 720p) is too big for that distance. 46" would be just right, but they don't make plasmas that size. Anyone who owns a 42" and has a viewing distance of 9', do you regret not going larger? The 42" will have about the same screen height as my old Sony 32", which was fine, but since this is HD, I'm worried that I'll miss some of the "immersive" HD experience if I don't go larger. The 42" is considered small, if you consider the THX/SMPTE viewing angle guidelines. They recommend 36 degrees, this set at 8' only gives me 20 degrees. I'll eventually be getting a 58" or 60" as my main HT set, once prics on 1080p flatscreens come down, so this'll be a secondary set.

I was at Costco and they had a Panny 42" that looks just like the pics I've seen of the 77U, but the model number was 42PE77U, instead of 42PX77U. Price is $1,350 or so. Anyone know if it's the same set and if so, why the different model #?

·
Registered
993 Posts

Quote:

BTW, my viewing distance will be 9 feet and I'm a little concerned that the 42" won't be quite big enough. OTOH, a 50" (especially a 720p) is too big for that distance. 46" would be just right, but they don't make plasmas that size. Anyone who owns a 42" and has a viewing distance of 9', do you regret not going larger? The 42" will have about the same screen height as my old Sony 32", which was fine, but since this is HD, I'm worried that I'll miss some of the "immersive" HD experience if I don't go larger. The 42" is considered small, if you consider the THX/SMPTE viewing angle guidelines. They recommend 36 degrees, this set at 8' only gives me 20 degrees.

Yes, I regret not going larger. I bought a 42" Panasonic plasma last year and sitting 8 feet away it was not as involving as I wanted. I've now moved my couch forward so am 6.5' away and it is much more immersive, but I really wish I had purchased the 50" to begin with. I'm now getting ready to pop for a 58" Panny at the great closeout prices that are out there right now and I will be viewing it from 8.5' which in the store proved to be a great distance for my eyes (and I do not notice any SDE at all from there).

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:

.....my viewing distance will be 9 feet and I'm a little concerned that the 42" won't be quite big enough. OTOH, a 50" (especially a 720p) is too big for that distance. 46" would be just right, but they don't make plasmas that size. Anyone who owns a 42" and has a viewing distance of 9', do you regret not going larger?

The 42" will have about the same screen height as my old Sony 32", which was fine, but since this is HD, I'm worried that I'll miss some of the "immersive" HD experience if I don't go larger.

You're going to get two completely different opposing opinions from people on this, but i think most people would opt for the 50" screen at 9 feet however i am not one of em. I sit 8-9 feet from my 42" 768p Panasonic and after two years i still do not regret not going larger for a couple of reasons - i don't really want the immersive in-your-face big-screen-threater experience in my living room, and the bigger problem is that i clearly see the SDE on my friend's 50" 768p Pioneer and Panasonic Plasmas at 10 and even 11 feet so at my 9 foot distance the SDE would kill PQ for me so the 50" is not an option.

With my 42" i see SDE at 7 feet but not at 8 feet so for me the 42" is perfect at 9 feet and i don't regret it a bit. If i regret anything, it's having this damn accute vision that makes it so easy for me to see SDE where others don't. I sometimes consider getting a new 50" 1080p set which would take care of my SDE problem, but still i don't really think i want that big immersive experience. And i don't want to block any more of my great view with a gigantic TV

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:

I was at Costco and they had a Panny 42" that looks just like the pics I've seen of the 77U, but the model number was 42PE77U, instead of 42PX77U. Price is $1,350 or so. Anyone know if it's the same set and if so, why the different model #?

The PE is the same TV as the PX Panny makes these specifically for the warehouses...why i dont know but all the specs seem to be the same. Only difference i saw was the stand might be different. Do you recall what type of stand the Costco model had? Did your Costco happen to have the 50pe77u in? i called yesterday and they said 1-2 weeks

·
Registered
216 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for the replies. I think I've decided to get the 77U and will try to find one this weekend.

It is basically the same set with some of the frills cut out for the discount stores like Costco and Sams. They are only now showing up and it rally hasn't been documented as to what the differences are. The glass is the same and the basic circuity. The stand is a bit different- the duck foot style rather than the swival and I would expect it not to have the programmable remote just the same one as the 75 has. That's all we can say untill someone buys one and details to us what it has.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Oxnard, CA Costco had 4 or 5 of them left as of Thursday. If this model has the anti-glare screen, it seems like a good deal, since the PX77U is going for $250-300 more at most places. For a 42" secondary set, I don't need a lot of frills or advanced features.

The box label doesn't say much about the specs or features and Costco's display label didn't say much either. The store employee I spoke to didn't know much about it.

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:

The Oxnard, CA Costco had 4 or 5 of them left as of Thursday. If this model has the anti-glare screen, it seems like a good deal, since the PX77U is going for $250-300 more at most places. For a 42" secondary set, I don't need a lot of frills or advanced features.

The box label doesn't say much about the specs or features and Costco's display label didn't say much either. The store employee I spoke to didn't know much about it.

The Costco TH-42PE77U does not have the PX77U's Anti-Glare coating. I spent a lot of time with both today and the only other differences i could find were the PE77 has a matte black/non-reflective bezel and of course the duckfoot stand.

More comments:

PE77 vs PX77 Thread

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.