AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother in law bought a HD RPTV, I believe is a Toshiba (or Hitachi) about 42 inch 4:3 A/R. I have watched it a few times and I think this tv sucks. The picture watching DSS SD is very pixelated and grainy. I need to get over there and try out a PS DVD and use Avia, but I don't know how much better it will be. Anyone know if this is normal? My 53" XBR (circa '95 not HD) is much better and don't even mention my Sony Plasma, crystal clear! It may be his source also, he told me he is using the rf outs on his Sat, tv tuned to channel 3.

John

San Jose, Ca.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
First off 4:3 HD tv sets are not the best to show off picture quality. To see the best you need a 16x9 set. Secondly DSS picture quality is horrible and made even worse by an HD set. It lets you see how the picture actually looks and not how your regular tv hides its imperfections. Almost all channels on Dss systems are over compressed and pixilated. A dvd will look a lot better then that and true HD will look even better. Don't judge an HDTV by a Satliate signal.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, like I said I need to get over there with some good equipment to see what is up. They only have reg sat, no hd decoder, no antenna, no PS DVD. But I can see my sat image is very good, yes I know about the compression issues.

By the way I was watching CNN Wed morning (2am pac) And the pic was superb! I was wondering if they kick up (down) the compression since at that time they shut off many of the ppv channels.

John

San Jose, Ca

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Actually your sat pic isnt good at all. You are fooled to think that by the way your interlaced set hides a lot of the defects of the signal. These defects are easily seen on an HD TV though.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I would hook the DSS receiver up using at least an RCA video cable and ideally s-video. Couple this with reducing the contrast and sharpness using Avia and I think the picture will improve greatly.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Honestly, your bro-in-law's set up is a recipe for a visual mess. The only thing that you did not mention that he could do worse would be the distance he is currently sitting at. Tell us he is isn't sitting about six feet from the set. For a NTSC signal, he needs to get back from that screen to have some kind of "chance" with that set up. Good luck- he is fortunate to have you in the family to look after his

A-V "best interests"!

[This message has been edited by WOLVERNOLE (edited 09-15-2001).]

·
Registered
61 Posts
Savageone79, what makes a 16:9 set display a better picture than a 4:3 set, given the same input source?

Thanks for the info,

Rob

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Quote:
First off 4:3 HD tv sets are not the best to show off picture quality. To see the best you need a 16x9 set.
False. Some 4:3 sets are just 16:9 sets with taller screens. The 4:3 Philips 60PP9601 uses the same projector hardware as the 16:9 Philips 55PP9701, producing the same 55" 16:9 HD picture in the same manner.

16x9 sets are often inferior to 4x3 sets for OAR 4x3 DSS content. Mitsubishi 16x9 sets lose a ton of effective resolution when in OAR 4x3 mode, though Pioneer Elite sets do it right.

Back to the problem. The best (least compressed) DirecTV channels look very good with a quality line doubler on a decent set. First, use S-Video to hook up the DSS box! Then, adjust with Avia or Video Essentials. If that doesn't do the trick, consider an external line doubler like a DVDO iScan Pro.

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator, DirecTV + 128 hour SVR-2000 TiVo

HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE, AccessDTV, Cybermail, Audiophile

It's not HD. It's HBO.[/i]
s>

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
The reason i said that 16x9 looks better is when i was refering to HD material. For DSS pictures and DVD's it doesnt make as much of a difference but most 4:3 tv's when showing an HD Channel throws out some of the resolutoin to fit it in the 4:3 screen with the black bars on the top and bottom like a letterboxed movie. 16x9 tv's of course do the best job of showing HD material in it's native format but again it depends on the tv more then anything. I was just making a statement that applied to most tv's in general.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I had never heard that about mit's tv's and 4:3 material.. what do you mean by that? I have a mits and 4:3 matierial looks ok.. how is it bad?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Quote:
most 4:3 tv's when showing an HD Channel throws out some of the resolutoin to fit it in the 4:3 screen with the black bars on the top and bottom like a letterboxed movie.
False!

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator, DirecTV + 128 hour SVR-2000 TiVo

HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE, AccessDTV, Cybermail, Audiophile
It's not HD. It's HBO.
s>

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Although I prefer the appearance of a 16:9 display, my prior 32" 4:3 Sampo provided a letterboxed HD picture essentially identical in quality to that from my current Sampo 16:9. However, I much prefer the completely flat screen vs. the curved screen of the 32" set.

As for Directv or DISH SD video displayed on HD sets, you can't expect much quality from a signal that is giving you only about 200-240 lines of resolution on static shots and severe motion artifacts with any type of movement.

My large dish (BUD) is far superior in terms of video quality when comparing SD video from it vs. DISH or Directv.

Sub-VHS video quality is a fact of life with either Direct or DISH, when viewing SD video--the exceptions being HD, some SD PPV or HD downconverted to 480I.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I have a 4:3 HDTV (Toshiba 61H71) and I challenge anyone with a Mits platinum series 16:9 to tell me that their picture looks better. I have a LARGER 16:9 picture than a 55" 16:9. I dont care if I have bars on my screen, the picture is identical, and it's BIGGER than the 16:9 for regular programming.

·
Registered
13 Posts
To quote Back to the Future, "Better get used to these bars kid." As HD content becomes more available the SD aspect ratio will change since it will be a down convert. You will start to see the aspect change within the next couple of years as new programs are shot in 16:9. This is not necessarily for the current HD adopters but for later when the shows are shown in syndication after the "big switch".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.