AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
Did you run Audyssey on the Onkyo? If so, where did it set the crossovers? If not, do so and report back.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
With those little 3" mid-woofers... As high as you can
Yep. They claim 95Hz - 20KHz. But good chance they are rolled off a good bit by then. I'd probably try 120hz.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the Reply's

The Onkyo amp set the speakers at 80hz.

I will try testing at 120hz as well .

I'm struggling to get a setting I like with these speakers at the minute, the sound doesn't seem as tight and accurate as my last 7 year old Tannoy EFX 6.1 system which cost £300

·
Registered
11,854 Posts
Thanks for the Reply's

I'm struggling to get a setting I like with these speakers at the minute, the sound doesn't seem as tight and accurate as my last 7 year old Tannoy EFX 6.1 system which cost £300
Sounds like you need to spend some time positioning and tuning the sub correctly. If you haven't already done the "sub crawl" (look up on this forum), I think you will gain significant improvements in "tightness" by following that procedure. Also, many folks tend towards a higher volume on the sub than is beneficial. The sub needs to blend with the main speakers. It should not overwhelm them.

Continue to experiment with crossover setting, speaker and sub positioning, and perhaps even seating position. Some pics of the current set-up would be useful in suggesting improvements ...

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Thanks for the Reply's

If your receiver recommends 80hz, then try it, 100hz and 120hz. See what works best for you. I usually find its beneficial to set it on one and leave it that way for a few days. Then another for a few days, and so forth, to get comfortable with each. Then do some comparing. That's just my technique. :)

What Ray said. You might have to experiment. Also, I think a sub usually sounds better after it's had a chance to break in a bit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.