AVS Forum banner

1041 - 1060 of 1748 Posts

·
Registered
18,444 Posts
Good review for them, but does anyone else find it odd they compared it against the larger 6" Elac? A fairer fight would be the 5" Elacs.

It's not hard to test any speaker against a larger one, then throw in comments that the larger one has more bass or is fuller or louder. It's kind of like a 'duh' comparison. But it also doesn't tell the reader much, especially if they own a sub.
Yep, I find a lot of CNET reviews very bone-headed in this way. It's like they're working on a deadline or quota and just slobber together something half-assedly. I guess what can you expect, CNET is more of a gadget site than an audio one. Scary thing is, there are much worse gadget sites reviewing speakers, and the poor clueless newbies googling up speakers have no idea.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just get something small and cheap like this, for fill-in bass that will make your 3010s sound a lot fuller/bigger:
Is the only difference between the 3010i and 3020i going to be more bass? If so, I can probably live with the 3010i given I'm in a small apartment.

Also, does anyone know of any white desktop/table speaker stands to use for the 3010i's? I just need anywhere from 2"-6" in height, and most of the desktop/table solutions I've been able to find online are black which kill the whole aesthetic. Some people suggest yoga blocks for a budget desktop stand, but of course even though don't come in white :rolleyes:

·
Registered
18,444 Posts
Is the only difference between the 3010i and 3020i going to be more bass? If so, I can probably live with the 3010i given I'm in a small apartment.

Also, does anyone know of any white desktop/table speaker stands to use for the 3010i's? I just need anywhere from 2"-6" in height, and most of the desktop/table solutions I've been able to find online are black which kill the whole aesthetic. Some people suggest yoga blocks for a budget desktop stand, but of course even though don't come in white :rolleyes:
Yes, the 3020 has a 5" woofer vs the 4" on the 3010 and a slightly bigger cabinet, which means it should give you an extra 5-10Hz of mid-bass. If you don't want to get a small subwoofer then it's worth the extra cost for a more tonally full sound. Your neighbors will never hear/know the difference, don't worry.

2-6" white something to put your speakers on, I think you'd better go browse Ikea or Target for some sort of improvised box maybe.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
CNETS review of the 3020i is finally up!
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/reviews/q-acoustics-3020i-review/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sarah Tew/CNET
"For our first round of comparisons we brought out a set of Elac Debut 6.2 bookshelf speakers, which are close to the same price, but considerably larger than the Q 3020i. The Debut 6.2 played louder with greater ease, and vocals sounded even better. The Q 3020i's soundstage is somewhat smaller and its bass didn't extend as deeply as the B6.2's. The Q's depth aside, sound quality is in some ways dependent on speaker size, and the B6.2 scored an easy win in this contest. "

I have both the QA3020i and Elac B6.2

QAs are better in the clarity,detail mid highs dept, than the Elac's so the article not exactly on point, everything else in the above paragraph pretty spot on
The new Elac's are definitely much improved
I would recommend QAs for 2.0 before the Elacs where clarity, detail is your primary importance

Reactions: gajCA

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Sarah Tew/CNET

"For our first round of comparisons we brought out a set of Elac Debut 6.2 bookshelf speakers, which are close to the same price, but considerably larger than the Q 3020i. The Debut 6.2 played louder with greater ease, and vocals sounded even better. The Q 3020i's soundstage is somewhat smaller and its bass didn't extend as deeply as the B6.2's. The Q's depth aside, sound quality is in some ways dependent on speaker size, and the B6.2 scored an easy win in this contest. "

I have both the QA3020i and Elac B6.2

QAs are better in the clarity,detail mid highs dept, than the Elac's so the article not exactly on point, everything else in the above paragraph pretty spot on

I would recommend QAs for 2.0 before the Elacs where clarity, detail is your primary importance

What about for a compact home theater, 5.1 the 3020is should be great? I might go smaller 3010i to save space.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
What about for a compact home theater, 5.1 the 3020is should be great? I might go smaller 3010i to save space.

Yes I've got the QAs in my son's room for his smaller HT room along with Emotiva C1 center. Works great. Dual subs also.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,444 Posts
That should be ok but I'd strongly recommend going with a proven high-quality MISMATCHED center like mpk1970 did by using the Emotiva C1, since it's the center speaker that you're mostly hearing during HT/TV to begin with (80-90% of output).

·
Registered
5,192 Posts

That was kind of my issue with that review. The larger speakers have more bass... so, umm... of course? That tells us nothing. Reviews like that also act like subwoofers don't exist. Now testing the B5.2 vs 3020is would have been interesting... same price ballpark ($50 apart I think right now, and that's using qacoustic non-sale prices). But for some odd reason they chose to compare apples to oranges, instead of apples to apples.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
That should be ok but I'd strongly recommend going with a proven high-quality MISMATCHED center like mpk1970 did by using the Emotiva C1, since it's the center speaker that you're mostly hearing during HT/TV to begin with (80-90% of output).
Or wait for a guinea pig here to test/review the new 3090ci. I doubt it beats the C1, but then again, someone over in the 'best centers thread' preferred the concept over the emotiva center. Unless a center is needed right away, might make sense to wait a little while... someone will get it here eventually.

·
Registered
18,444 Posts
But for some odd reason they chose to compare apples to oranges, instead of apples to apples.
That's what happens you have gadget geek reviewers review speakers on a gadget geek website, sadly enough.

Reactions: mpk1970

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm pretty sure they compared them to the 6.2 because that was the pair they had on hand, and like others have mentioned they're the same exact price point. Not really apples to oranges at all considering they are two of the most talked about speaker brands and the two models that a lot of people are trying to decide between. I'm sure if Q Acoustics had a 6" version they would have reviewed that one instead. It would be nice if they had a with sub section, but they are assuming people will just be using them in stereo. In which case the better bass extension and higher volume handling, and (in the reviewers opinion) bigger soundstage and better vocals with the Elac win out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anyone else not crazy about the new chrome rings around the drivers in the 30x0i series? The mirror finish reflects everything in the room :S I think I'm going to have to keep the grills on :|

·
Registered
745 Posts
Anyone else not crazy about the new chrome rings around the drivers in the 30x0i series? The mirror finish reflects everything in the room :S I think I'm going to have to keep the grills on :|
I seem to recall that AJ designs/specs the sound signature of his speakers w/o grills, for example, the B5.2.

I'll have to search for the source...interesting comments regarding the grills, the effects of the fabric, treble roll-off, and so on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

I have two 3020 pairing with two 3010 and 3090c in a 5.1 sistem. Everithing is very good. My sub is an Emotiva basx s12.

I want to buy speaker stands for 3020. I read that q acoustics 3000 series stands does not have a fasten system for the speakers, you put them on the stands and that is it. I am a little bit concerned about that. What do you say? Does anyone have problems with 3000 series stands?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello,

I have two 3020 pairing with two 3010 and 3090c in a 5.1 sistem. Everithing is very good. My sub is an Emotiva basx s12.

I want to buy speaker stands for 3020. I read that q acoustics 3000 series stands does not have a fasten system for the speakers, you put them on the stands and that is it. I am a little bit concerned about that. What do you say? Does anyone have problems with 3000 series stands?
The stands do come with different plates to suit the 3010 and 3020, if you remove the rubber feet you will see the threads for screws to secure to stands.

·
Registered
18,444 Posts
I read that q acoustics 3000 series stands does not have a fasten system for the speakers, you put them on the stands and that is it.
The only speaker fastening system you need:

Attachments

·
Registered
21,739 Posts
Yeah, I get that, but still, it kind of limits how useful their review is.

We could say the Polk S20 has more bass too, same pricepoint. Or maybe Dayton towers have more bass too and are fuller in sound. But would comparing the bass of the Qacoustics to larger Daytons be useful info to anyone? Pricepoint is variable as we all know too, as I expect Qacoustics to run sales eventually.

Just came across as a little weird to me. It's okay to mention the bass thing with larger speakers, but much more useful I'd think to compare speakers of the same size/general pricerange.
Not to mention the guy gave both speakers the same score in the "sound" category.

·
Registered
21,739 Posts
That's what happens you have gadget geek reviewers review speakers on a gadget geek website, sadly enough.
Same guy tested your B1s and liked them but preferred the Elac B6s.

Methinks he has a hard on for Elac, even the older much derided here on AVS B6.

Mike tried both the B6 and B6.2 and while he liked the latter I think he threw the B6s out the window IIRC. :p

1041 - 1060 of 1748 Posts