AVS Forum banner

1061 - 1080 of 1667 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Same guy tested your B1s and liked them but preferred the Elac B6s.

Methinks he has a hard on for Elac, even the older much derided here on AVS B6.

Mike tried both the B6 and B6.2 and while he liked the latter I think he threw the B6s out the window IIRC. :p
Last years B6 sucks no way they better than Emotiva B1s
This year's B6.2 are good
I have them in my bedroom

Definitely an improvement...I applaud Elac for listening and realizing last years B6 Sucked

Attachments

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I will say the QA3020i and Emotiva C1 provides a very good detailed, clear dialogue in HT with HSU VTF2s as the low end
I walked into my son's room after hearing some booming from kitchen
He was watching Rogue One
Again, the clarity/detail was pretty dam good
I sat for 30 mins just enjoying experience in his small room

Attachments

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I will say the QA3020i and Emotiva C1 provides a very good detailed, clear dialogue in HT with HSU VTF2s as the low end
I walked into my son's room after hearing some booming from kitchen
He was watching Rogue One
Again, the clarity/detail was pretty dam good

Mike, that white looks so sleek! I really like it. Your son made an excellent choice as the room looks very cozy. Hope all is well!

Cheers,

Phil

·
Registered
17,759 Posts
Your son must have good karma, most folks never have such good audio in their entire lives...he gets dual Hsu subs falling into his lap??? LOL hope he knows how lucky he is!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Your son must have good karma, most folks never have such good audio in their entire lives...he gets dual Hsu subs falling into his lap??? LOL hope he knows how lucky he is!
He doesnt say much
I said how you like the subs....grin ear to ear!
He said everything so clear
Remember he had RBH R5bi horizontal as center before so C1 brings whole new dynamics to him

Man, it was pretty dam sweet he has no idea how lucky he is
Maybe a couple years

Reactions: gajCA

·
Registered
17,759 Posts
Man, it was pretty dam sweet he has no idea how lucky he is
Maybe a couple years
Yeah, if he ever dates some girl whose parents have a Bose HT setup maybe... :D

Reactions: Lp85253

·
Registered
9 Posts
The only speaker fastening system you need:
Funnily enough, after my 3-year-old tipped my unattached 3020 off of its stand, I bought some 40 inch zip ties and wrapped one around each speaker. Worked like a charm, and the white ties match the speakers.

It also allows me to very rapidly move the speakers, because their normal (kid-friendly) position is back against the wall, secured by a nylon belt and clip. After the kiddos go to bed, out they come. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

·
Registered
21,601 Posts
Across the pond, Hi-Fi Choice's listeners do a Group Test of entry-level standmount speakers, which, by the way, includes a "true giant killer." See October issue.
I could only find a link to the cover which alludes to an article on what many of us like around here; speakers with very good sound at a modest price.

Can you give us the gist of it; not just Q Acoustics but any other speakers that may have surprised them with excellent sound value?

https://www.hifichoice.co.uk/news/article/october-2018-issue-on-sale/26573

·
Registered
21,601 Posts
Here's a pic of the summary of the HiFi choice
Thanks.

So overall the 3020i won closely followed by the Dali Spektor 2, Acoustic Energy AE 100, Fyne Audio 301 (these last two not available in the US) and then a tiny bit back the Wharfedale Diamond 11.1 with the Jamo S803 bringing up the rear but still deemed a good choice.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Can you give us the gist of it; not just Q Acoustics but any other speakers that may have surprised them with excellent sound value?

Congratulations to Q Acoustics.

Interesting CD tracks, test songs... For instance, I encourage you all to listen to Diana Krall's performance of "Desperado" ("Wallflower") and Donald Fagen's "The Night Belongs to Mona" ("Morph the Cat") through your loudspeakers. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just want to check the thread and see if anyone has tried the new 3090ci center? I will probably get it next month along with 3020i (L/R) and 3010i (rears) but interested to know if others have had experience with it since they are available now in the US.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Just want to check the thread and see if anyone has tried the new 3090ci center? I will probably get it next month along with 3020i (L/R) and 3010i (rears) but interested to know if others have had experience with it since they are available now in the US.
I wouldn't bother.
Get the Emotiva C1 for the center. It is much better. THe QA center seem putrid (I haven't listened to it but the specs look unimpressive) I have the QA3020i for my son's room and got him the C1. THey blend great together.

·
Registered
8,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,075 (Edited)
Way to trash a speaker you've never heard. Granted, the Emotivas have been well received, but that doesn't necessarily make it the right choice for him. Let's face it , your son's system is just piecemealed together from the leftovers of your speaker shootouts. How do you know the system is better, if you haven't heard it with the matching center?

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I wouldn't bother.
Get the Emotiva C1 for the center. It is much better. THe QA center seem putrid (I haven't listened to it but the specs look unimpressive) I have the QA3020i for my son's room and got him the C1. THey blend great together.

You may be right, but come on now... silly to trash a speaker you never even heard before. There are also aesthetics + cost + preferences to consider, even if the emotiva > qacoustics.

If the 3090 is as improved as the 3020 was, it may actually be pretty nice. And everyone has different ears... there was at least one person who preferred the concept center over the C1 (or C2, forget which it was) in an older thread here.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thank you all for the input. I have been thinking hard since the shootout thread as that is where I learned about the QA speakers. I was set to to get the B1/E1/C1 combo but the 3020i got glowing review and I read some more reviews online. The aesthetics of the 3000i speakers did play into consideration (English walnut is quite classy.)

I am hoping that the 3090ci has improved over the predecessor and addressed issues that others had raised. Good thing they offer 30 days returns.

·
Registered
21,601 Posts
Thank you all for the input. I have been thinking hard since the shootout thread as that is where I learned about the QA speakers. I was set to to get the B1/E1/C1 combo but the 3020i got glowing review and I read some more reviews online. The aesthetics of the 3000i speakers did play into consideration (English walnut is quite classy.)

I am hoping that the 3090ci has improved over the predecessor and addressed issues that others had raised. Good thing they offer 30 days returns.
Looking forward to your impressions.

I do know one thing, the old center measured very very well though a small percent of owners in this thread, (less than 5 percent), thought it wasn't ideal.

So an approximately 95% success rate by owners in this thread which with speakers is quite impressive.

From Sound & Vision: the old 3090c is the green trace, the old 3010 is the purple trace and the old 3070s subwoofer is the blue trace. The old sub's ruler flat frequency response would be ideal for music though not deep enough extension for action movies...at least for me.

One thing to keep in mind if for some reason the 3090ci doesn't meld with the 3020i's to your satisfaction that at $300/pair buying a second pair and using one as your center and with a high chance of finding an AVS buyer for the second one you don't need, you can always use the 3020i as a center assuming you have the vertical space to fit it.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/q-acoustics-3000-51-speaker-system-review

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Way to trash a speaker you've never heard. Granted, the Emotivas have been well received, but that doesn't necessarily make it the right choice for him. Let's face it , your son's system is just piecemealed together from the leftovers of your speaker shootouts. How do you know the system is better, if you haven't heard it with the matching center?
Actually you're wrong. I had bought the new QA3020i to replace the old ones anyhow because they match my son's white cabinet. The $300 cost for the speakers didn't matter to me. But yes I included them in the shootout but I was keeping them anyhow. Just like the I kept the Elac's.

I'm going on the past reviews I read from users that had the QA Center who said it was lacking/unimpressive. Unlike the 3020i's which they improved over last years 3020, I didn't notice any changes to the QA center but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
You may be right, but come on now... silly to trash a speaker you never even heard before. There are also aesthetics + cost + preferences to consider, even if the emotiva > qacoustics.

If the 3090 is as improved as the 3020 was, it may actually be pretty nice. And everyone has different ears... there was at least one person who preferred the concept center over the C1 (or C2, forget which it was) in an older thread here.
Well the concept center is different from the 3090. From what I know, the 3090 has no improvements from last years model unlike the 3020i that did improve over last years 3020.
I've read the 3090 is unimpressive but if he doesn't care about the overall acoustic sound that much and really wants matching speakers then the 3090 is the way to go.

1061 - 1080 of 1667 Posts