AVS Forum banner

1581 - 1600 of 1664 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Concept 40 - Speakers Grills On or Off?

For you guys with Concept 40s... do you have any preference for speakers grills on or off? I've been leaving them off but decided yesterday I'd try putting them on to see if it made any difference. I think the treble is maybe slightly subdued, but aside from that I can't hear an appreciable difference. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
i bought a Q acoustics 3050i and 3090ci speaker which are connect with denon avr-x2600H.

i am confusing that should i set the speaker config as small or large?

if i set it as large, will it lack of bass for the subwoofer

if i set it as small, the center speaker sound become small and unclear.

·
Registered
624 Posts
i bought a Q acoustics 3050i and 3090ci speaker which are connect with denon avr-x2600H.

I'm no expert and mostly followed advises I got here on AVS, but to get you started till someone else with more knowledge chimes in: I was told to set all to small when subwoofer is present, and set the crossovers for L-C-R to 80 (or 60) and subwoofer to 120. Also got several suggestions to disable stuff like Dynanic EQ/Volume.

·
Registered
549 Posts

If you have a subwoofer set all speakers to "small" and set your crossovers to 80hz as a starting off point.
If you do not have a subwoofer set all speakers to large so they will run full-range.
In any event, run Audyssey first. Tweak in manual settings to your liking.

·
Registered
77 Posts

The "large" vs "small" setting tells your receiver to enable or disable its internal crossover. It's just a poor naming convention.
Setting them to large generally means the receiver will bypass its internal crossover and send the full frequency spectrum (bass) to your speakers.
Setting them to "small" means the receiver will enact a low-cut filter at the crossover point and send low frequencies to your subwoofer (if you are using a separate subwoofer).

I'm not familiar with your receiver, but in some cases you can configure it utilize both your sub and "large" speakers at the same time (LFE+Main). Weather this setup makes sense for your situation or not depends on a lot of things, but in general, most recommend setting the speakers to be "small" (even if they are actually large towers) and letting your external subwoofer handle the low frequencies. A subwoofer is specifically designed to handle LFE and bass easily, most towers are not. An 80hz crossover is a good starting point, and also the THX standard I believe.

·
Registered
17,031 Posts
Reactions: audiofreak38

·
Registered
541 Posts
No pro reviews for the 3030i bookshelf speaker yet. I did find an unboxing video on YouTube, though. Unfortunately, the video doesn't seem to play on this site. Oh well. So for now—[the 3030i] "bassy, hard-hitting yet beautifully poised sound from a compact, discreet cabinet." —QA

Their current bookshelf speaker line-up:
• Concept 300
• Concept 20
3030i
• 3020i
• 3010i

---

Out of curiosity, does anyone own the Concept 20 and BBC LS3/5A, or a contemporary clone of a BBC speaker?
I'm curious how the Concept 20 compares with, say, a Harbeth P3ESR in your listening room—without a sub.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No pro reviews for the 3030i bookshelf speaker yet. I did find an unboxing video on YouTube, though. Unfortunately, the video doesn't seem to play on this site. Oh well. So for now—[the 3030i] "bassy, hard-hitting yet beautifully poised sound from a compact, discreet cabinet." —QA

Their current bookshelf speaker line-up:
• Concept 300
• Concept 20
3030i
• 3020i
• 3010i

---

Out of curiosity, does anyone own the Concept 20 and BBC LS3/5A, or a contemporary clone of a BBC speaker?
I'm curious how the Concept 20 compares with, say, a Harbeth P3ESR in your listening room—without a sub.
There is a review of 3030i.

https://www.lite-magazin.de/tag/lautsprecher/

You can use google translate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Q Acoustics adds the bass enhanced 3030i standmount speaker to its 3000i

The Q Acoustics 3030i will be available from February 2020, priced at £329 / €399 / $399

https://qacousticsnewsroom.com/2020/01/09/q-acoustics-expands-award-winning-3000i-range-with-3030i-standmount-loudspeaker/

Enclosure type: 2-way reflex
Bass unit: 165 mm (6.5 in)
Treble unit: 22 mm (0.9 in)
Frequency response (+/-3 dB, -6 dB): 46 Hz – 30 kHz
Average impedance: 6 Ω
Minimum impedance: 4 Ω
Sensitivity ([email protected]): 88 dB
Stereo amplifier power: 25 – 75 W
AV receiver power (2 ch. driven): 50 – 145 W
Crossover frequency: 2.4 kHz
Effective volume: 12.5 L (763 cu in)
Enclosure dimensions (WxHxD)(inc. grille, terminal and feet) : 200 x 325 x 329 mm (7.9 x 12.8 x 13.0 in)
Weight (per speaker): 6.4 kg (14.1 lbs)
I was on the waiting list for the 3030i speakers, and Q A notified me when they were available. I ordered them on the 5th of March, and they came in the following Monday. I have them hooked up to my Denon AVR-4300H and a Sony 800 CD player. The first CD I had on hand was Massive Attacks' "Heligoland". This CD is very heavy with bass output. This just happened to be the first CD I picked up. I really did not realize that my subwoofer was not on. They are that good. I had the receiver in the pure position, thus only the 3030i's were playing.

However, the bass wasn't the only great characteristic of this speaker. The vocals, instruments, all came out sounding very even, IMHO.
I had another much more expensive speaker in this room that was not so great with male voices. To be specific, the Eagles "Hole in the World", from their live farewell tour album. With the 3030's the sound was perfect, with no shrill vocals. On other songs, the horns were also very clear and crisp.
These speakers compliment my 3090i center channel, which is also better than its size would indicate.
I have not read any professional reviews yet, but for me, it doesn't matter.

These are in my media room, which is small at 12 x 15, with an 11' ceiling. My sub is a RSL speedwoofer 10s. It blends in well with the 3030i's, and I can only tell the sub is on when really low passages are playing. Still sounds like all of the sound is coming from the 3030is
I might add that I like the grill on, not off. I have the walnut finish, but later, I will get the black.
Next, I plan to swap them out in my living room, which is about 4500 sf. But that is much later, even though I am home 24/7.
Anyone else have these speakers?

·
Registered
21,470 Posts
This CD is very heavy with bass output. This just happened to be the first CD I picked up. I really did not realize that my subwoofer was not on. They are that good. I had the receiver in the pure position, thus only the 3030i's were playing.

However, the bass wasn't the only great characteristic of this speaker.

The vocals, instruments, all came out sounding very even, IMHO.

I had another much more expensive speaker in this room that was not so great with male voices. To be specific, the Eagles "Hole in the World", from their live farewell tour album. With the 3030's the sound was perfect, with no shrill vocals. On other songs, the horns were also very clear and crisp.

These speakers compliment my 3090i center channel, which is also better than its size would indicate.
Thanks for your impressions.

Congratulations.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had Concept 20 high-level paired with 2 REL T/Zero's which was quite good setup.
I had a long thought where do I want to land with my sound desire.
I knew that most likely I'll stay on streaming and flac's from NAS, no CD or turntable.
So NAD 758 with Dirac, BluOS, NAD amp and weak link were my speakers.
Decided for 500's as for the price dealer asked, they seamed to be best value I could get from them. I read a lot about them, they were called NEUTRAL which is what I was looking. I'm not very experienced here to give some PRO valuation in English.
They do impress me with the soundstage, clarity and instrument separation. When I listen to music and I know, the avr IS in stereo mode, still I have raised countless time to check is my center is off? :)
Sound comes on me as wall, speakers are not present! I know, that some people, to better enjoy their sound, close their eyes. I don't have to, even when I look directly to speaker my brain don't locate it in the wall of sound.
I feel same with my 3050s. I cant locate them :cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was on the waiting list for the 3030i speakers, and Q A notified me when they were available. I ordered them on the 5th of March, and they came in the following Monday. I have them hooked up to my Denon AVR-4300H and a Sony 800 CD player. The first CD I had on hand was Massive Attacks' "Heligoland". This CD is very heavy with bass output. This just happened to be the first CD I picked up. I really did not realize that my subwoofer was not on. They are that good. I had the receiver in the pure position, thus only the 3030i's were playing.

However, the bass wasn't the only great characteristic of this speaker. The vocals, instruments, all came out sounding very even, IMHO.

These are in my media room, which is small at 12 x 15, with an 11' ceiling. My sub is a RSL speedwoofer 10s. It blends in well with the 3030i's, and I can only tell the sub is on when really low passages are playing. Still sounds like all of the sound is coming from the 3030is
I might add that I like the grill on, not off. I have the walnut finish, but later, I will get the black.
Next, I plan to swap them out in my living room, which is about 4500 sf. But that is much later, even though I am home 24/7.
Anyone else have these speakers?
I am also waiting for 3030i for my 3rd setup in my living room :)

I have a 11.2 cinema room with 3050s and 3010s and I like them for both movies and music.

3030i will be used just for stereo listening. But I read that Q Acoustics was planning to unveil new concept series 20/40 in Munich Hi-End Show on May, but you know show was cancelled because of CoronaVirus.

Concept 300 is out of my budget and I need bookshelf speakers. Do you have other suggestions? My budget is 700-800USD, maybe a little more.

Q Acoustics, please tell me how long should I wait for the new Concept Series?

Thanks.

·
Registered
21,470 Posts
Concept 300 is out of my budget and I need bookshelf speakers. Do you have other suggestions? My budget is 700-800USD, maybe a little more.
I tested the Concept 20s against my LX16s and they were equally as good with the tiniest bit more detail in acoustic, classical, jazz and vocal music on the LX16s.

I'd look at the 35XTs which are now $800/pair vs a few months ago when they were $1200/pair.

For a stereo setup the black Cherrywood is stunning.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_839M35XTBC/MartinLogan-Motion-35XT-Gloss-Black-Cherrywood.html

·
Registered
16 Posts
I tested the Concept 20s against my LX16s and they were equally as good with the tiniest bit more detail in acoustic, classical, jazz and vocal music on the LX16s.

I'd look at the 35XTs which are now $800/pair vs a few months ago when they were $1200/pair.

For a stereo setup the black Cherrywood is stunning.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_839M35XTBC/MartinLogan-Motion-35XT-Gloss-Black-Cherrywood.html

I looked at those speakers. Looks good but I forgot to mention that my only option is white color because of WAF 🏻😋

I read a few reviews about 3030i and someone even told that it sounds better than 3050i 😱

Or maybe I should wait and see how more affordable concept series sounds 🙄
If it's not going to be more than 600-700$.

Any news about them?

·
Registered
21,470 Posts
I looked at those speakers. Looks good but I forgot to mention that my only option is white color because of WAF 🏻😋

I read a few reviews about 3030i and someone even told that it sounds better than 3050i 😱

Any news about them?
Concept 20s come in white.

Some others.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_970DBR62W/ELAC-Debut-Reference-DBR62-Oak.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_265M16WHA/Revel-Concerta2-M16-High-Gloss-White.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_991Q350W/KEF-Q350-White.html

·
Registered
112 Posts

Any news about them?
As you can see on link below, good old Concept 20 still included!
Or may-be it helps you to choose something else!
Best bookshelf speakers 2020: budget to premium
https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/hi-fi/best-bookshelf-speakers

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you for your help.

I read complicated reviews about Kef and Elac but almost everyone likes Revel Concerta2 M16. it also took my attention. But I am very unfamiliar with the brand. I should listen first.

Old concept 20 has very good reviews. But new version is around the corner.

I think it's better to wait new concept series and listen to the Revel Concerta2 M16 after coronavirus ends.

I just sent email to Q Acoustics and asked about new concept series. Let's see if they reply me 🙄

·
Registered
21,470 Posts

·
Registered
21,470 Posts
Thank you for your help.

I read complicated reviews about Kef and Elac but almost everyone likes Revel Concerta2 M16. it also took my attention. But I am very unfamiliar with the brand. I should listen first.

Old concept 20 has very good reviews. But new version is around the corner.

I think it's better to wait new concept series and listen to the Revel Concerta2 M16 after coronavirus ends.

I just sent email to Q Acoustics and asked about new concept series. Let's see if they reply me 🙄
Revel is a highly respected brand designed using the latest in measurement techniques.

They have only been around since 1996.

https://www.harmanluxuryaudio.com/

1581 - 1600 of 1664 Posts