AVS Forum banner

1661 - 1680 of 1694 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a question about the 3020i bookshelf speakers. I'm planning on purchasing these and am also purchasing an Amp that puts out 125W/Ch into 8 ohms. Can these speakers handle that? I won't be turning it up super loud.

·
Registered
21,634 Posts
I have a question about the 3020i bookshelf speakers. I'm planning on purchasing these and am also purchasing an Amp that puts out 125W/Ch into 8 ohms. Can these speakers handle that? I won't be turning it up super loud.
Speakers tell you when they are not happy with higher volumes by distorting well before any damage is done.

You should be fine.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Q ACOUSTIC 3030i SPEAKERS

CONCLUSION

That these speakers can be bought for £329 startles me. They have me scratching my head that this level of quality can be had for such a low price.

Full review!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a question regarding the 3050i and 3030i speakers. For a new audio setup I'm looking for a nice stereo pair, preferably without subwoofer.

If I compare the frequency specs, there doesn't seem to be much difference:

3050i: 44Hz - 30kHz (+3dB, -6dB)
3030i: 46Hz - 30kHz (+/-3dB, -6dB)

The towers have a slightly higher efficiency of 91dB vs 88dB so they play a bit louder but I'm sure this will be a minor feature during normal use.

I would think that the larger volume of the 3050i would lead to a lower bass response but I'm not seeing this in the specs. Would anyone be able to compare the two or comment on the 3050i bass performance?

·
Registered
17,975 Posts
I have a question regarding the 3050i and 3030i speakers. For a new audio setup I'm looking for a nice stereo pair, preferably without subwoofer.

The towers have a slightly higher efficiency of 91dB vs 88dB so they play a bit louder but I'm sure this will be a minor feature during normal use.

I would think that the larger volume of the 3050i would lead to a lower bass response but I'm not seeing this in the specs. Would anyone be able to compare the two or comment on the 3050i bass performance?
I'm guessing the mere 2Hz difference in mid-bass extension is due to the 3030i having larger woofers (6.5" vs dual 5" on the 3050i).

·
Registered
21,634 Posts

I wouldn't "trust" specs too much but your premise is true; the 3050i not only has much larger cabinet volume but twice the woofer cone area as the 3030i.

Owners in this thread who have bought the towers 3050i/3050 have been satisfied with the performance without a sub.

If you can't audition using an SPL meter and test tones I'd go with the safer bet without a sub in the equation and get the towers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello,

Had been settled on the 3050s for a few weeks but haven't pulled the trigger because I was waiting for the 3090 to get back in stock. But, I think now I'm going to get the Concept Center and if the 3090 comes in stock soon get that to compare to the Concept Center and then keep one of them (assuming the 3090 is back in stock within the 30 day trial - I called and they say they should be in in a week or so). But now i'm having second thoughts and wondering if I should get the 3030i. I have a BIC PL-200 subwoofer so wonder if it's overkill to get the floor standing ones. I may end up moving the BIC down to the basement with the Energy Take set up I have currently. But would consider getting a new sub too down the road. Would be about 70%movies/30% music. I would probably have to get nonQ Acoustic stands because the dimensions of the base wouldn't fit where they need to go although the floor standings would (they're a little narrower than the stands). Room dimensions are about 13WX15L. I kind of like the look of the floor standing ones better but not sure if the 3030i would be better sonically or equivalent to the floor standing 3050s given I have the sub. Thanks. Shouldn't be this hard to make these decisions!

·
Registered
26 Posts
(assuming the 3090 is back in stock within the 30 day trial - I called and they say they should be in in a week or so).
Was this if the US? I've been waiting for the 3090ci to come back in stock for quite some time. I almost pulled the trigger on an open box 3090c they have on their ebay store...

·
Registered
21,634 Posts
Hello,

Had been settled on the 3050s for a few weeks but haven't pulled the trigger because I was waiting for the 3090 to get back in stock. But, I think now I'm going to get the Concept Center and if the 3090 comes in stock soon get that to compare to the Concept Center and then keep one of them (assuming the 3090 is back in stock within the 30 day trial - I called and they say they should be in in a week or so). But now i'm having second thoughts and wondering if I should get the 3030i. I have a BIC PL-200 subwoofer so wonder if it's overkill to get the floor standing ones. I may end up moving the BIC down to the basement with the Energy Take set up I have currently. But would consider getting a new sub too down the road. Would be about 70%movies/30% music. I would probably have to get nonQ Acoustic stands because the dimensions of the base wouldn't fit where they need to go although the floor standings would (they're a little narrower than the stands). Room dimensions are about 13WX15L. I kind of like the look of the floor standing ones better but not sure if the 3030i would be better sonically or equivalent to the floor standing 3050s given I have the sub. Thanks. Shouldn't be this hard to make these decisions!
No need to buy Q Acoustics stands if you choose to go with stand mounters.

One thing I don't like about the 3090 is the tweeter placement which places it below ear level in many cases meaning you will need to tilt them to aim the tweeter at your ears while seated.

In a small room such as yours where you are forced to sit rather close I think I'd go for the 3030i.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Been off the forum for years? I can't fight the upgrade bug when I see all the eye and ear candy in here.

Last time I was in here I was running Orbs Mod4 L/C/R, Mod 2 rears (SVS slim towers and water heater sub, and Klipsch RFII/Outlaw separates before that...I've downsized over the years), and the [aging] workhorse that is my Outlaw LFM-EX1 - I ran that system for ages of an Onkyo NR807...it worked fine and money was tight, tight, tight...so no upgrades....

I picked up the a pair of 2030i + stands + 3090ci (white) July of last year and slapped together withx4 Polk OWM3 (I have very little room) for Side and Rear surrounds...running off a AVR-S750H (Limited cabinet space, was using a Pioneer VXS520 prior until it died...refurb off Amazon) I'm in apt. 2nd floor so I don't go too loud (The Outlaw is just legacy and it still works great and doubles as an endtable :p but I'm looking to downsize to two smaller subs...two 10s maybe even 8s...suggestions?).

The Qs are much better than the Orbs (tweeters) but the center has always bugged me...angled, above, below, grills lined up on the y axis, run hot, run cold (which is what I do, by -5.5); Audissey does it's magic and gets them very all close to sounding ok...I've since moved my side surrounds (they were overpowering the rears - ceiling mounted/angled to LP) and the mains no matter what I did, so now they're front height (which I should have done ages ago!!).

The 3020i work well for HT but felt they lacked a bit for music (stereo) and running full stereo they would just get lost in the midrange hell that is the polks OMW (I'm eyeing the SVS elevations for front high and rear surrounds in white since they'll blend and no walnut :)

Anyway, back to that center..(and them being in white), I don't like the look of them on the Q stands...just sort of over it :\ plus I've tried everything to get it to blend but it always sounds too forward (I'm about 10' away, dead center) so I did a few BB returns to try out new centers (low budget and, truth be told, I want a wiiiiiide center for looks - I know, dumb but I can't go too big so adding in design/looks...and needed to be Walnut ;)...almost bit on the Qs 3050i towers in walnut but that center ;)...and oddly enough settled on the Polk PS35/PS55 (over Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450 both available in walnut but wasn't interested in the harsh klipsch sound that always gets to me).

So, I will be leaving you all! Here are some pics:

Note this was before the addition of front heights above the mains at ceiling level/angled 45

Rear surround is behind the plant (shot was taken before I added side surrounds)

·
Registered
966 Posts
Been off the forum for years? I can't fight the upgrade bug when I see all the eye and ear candy in here.

Last time I was in here I was running Orbs Mod4 L/C/R, Mod 2 rears (SVS slim towers and water heater sub, and Klipsch RFII/Outlaw separates before that...I've downsized over the years), and the [aging] workhorse that is my Outlaw LFM-EX1 - I ran that system for ages of an Onkyo NR807...it worked fine and money was tight, tight, tight...so no upgrades....

I picked up the a pair of 2030i + stands + 3090ci (white) July of last year and slapped together withx4 Polk OWM3 (I have very little room) for Side and Rear surrounds...running off a AVR-S750H (Limited cabinet space, was using a Pioneer VXS520 prior until it died...refurb off Amazon) I'm in apt. 2nd floor so I don't go too loud (The Outlaw is just legacy and it still works great and doubles as an endtable :p but I'm looking to downsize to two smaller subs...two 10s maybe even 8s...suggestions?).

The Qs are much better than the Orbs (tweeters) but the center has always bugged me...angled, above, below, grills lined up on the y axis, run hot, run cold (which is what I do, by -5.5); Audissey does it's magic and gets them very all close to sounding ok...I've since moved my side surrounds (they were overpowering the rears - ceiling mounted/angled to LP) and the mains no matter what I did, so now they're front height (which I should have done ages ago!!).

The 3020i work well for HT but felt they lacked a bit for music (stereo) and running full stereo they would just get lost in the midrange hell that is the polks OMW (I'm eyeing the SVS elevations for front high and rear surrounds in white since they'll blend and no walnut :)

Anyway, back to that center..(and them being in white), I don't like the look of them on the Q stands...just sort of over it :\ plus I've tried everything to get it to blend but it always sounds too forward (I'm about 10' away, dead center) so I did a few BB returns to try out new centers (low budget and, truth be told, I want a wiiiiiide center for looks - I know, dumb but I can't go too big so adding in design/looks...and needed to be Walnut ;)...almost bit on the Qs 3050i towers in walnut but that center ;)...and oddly enough settled on the Polk PS35/PS55 (over Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450 both available in walnut but wasn't interested in the harsh klipsch sound that always gets to me).

So, I will be leaving you all! Here are some pics:

Note this was before the addition of front heights above the mains at ceiling level/angled 45

Rear surround is behind the plant (shot was taken before I added side surrounds)
The QA center is a bit on the small side drivers wise, which many criticize, but it doesn't look like you have a lot of room in the cabinet. There are better options if you can fit a larger one. Is raising the TV and have one under it an option, or would it be too high?
With bookshelf for mains (but also floorstands) in a living room, you'll likely need a subwoofer to extend the sound.

·
Registered
17,975 Posts

Nice living room! Wish I could be even half as neat... :)

If you want a decent WHITE center speaker, I'd look at the RSL CG25. Front ported and free return shipping. I'd use a tabletop TV stand to raise your TV to make room for a decent sized center speaker if needed.

What speaker companies and speaker salesmen will never tell you is, the center speaker does 70-80% of the HT/TV output: at least 50% of the front sound effects, and 99% of the DIALOGUE. It is the true workhorse/backbone of any HT setup and thus the absolute LAST place you should ever cut corners. Smaller centers (4.5" or smaller woofers) almost always produce tinny voices and often, terrible voice clarity.

QA makes weak centers, driven by WAF/marketing not engineering. I home demoed the Concept 20, 3020 and 3090 a few years ago. Liked the bookshelves, hated the center...sounded boxy and small in my room. Even using one of the bookshelves on its side in the center position made for a significant improvement.

Audyssey is NOT "magic" in the least---half the time it screws things up. Use it as a STARTING POINT only, then manually tweak the settings to YOUR tastes.

If you don't have a subwoofer, that is what I'd strongly suggest adding asap. And for the love of bejesus, DON'T buy either of the QA subs...their subs are the only thing they make that are even worse than their center speakers.

Reactions: AlexLac

·
Registered
966 Posts

If you want a decent WHITE center speaker, I'd look at the RSL CG25. Front ported and free return shipping. I'd use a tabletop TV stand to raise your TV to make room for a decent sized center speaker if needed.

What speaker companies and speaker salesmen will never tell you is, the center speaker does 70-80% of the HT/TV output: at least 50% of the front sound effects, and 99% of the DIALOGUE. It is the true workhorse/backbone of any HT setup and thus the absolute LAST place you should ever cut corners. Smaller centers (4.5" or smaller woofers) almost always produce tinny voices and often, terrible voice clarity.

QA makes weak centers, driven by WAF/marketing not engineering. I home demoed the Concept 20, 3020 and 3090 a few years ago. Liked the bookshelves, hated the center...sounded boxy and small in my room. Even using one of the bookshelves on its side in the center position made for a significant improvement.

Audyssey is NOT "magic" in the least---half the time it screws things up. Use it as a STARTING POINT only, then manually tweak the settings to YOUR tastes.

If you don't have a subwoofer, that is what I'd strongly suggest adding asap. And for the love of bejesus, DON'T buy either of the QA subs...their subs are the only thing they make that are even worse than their center speakers.
He seems to want a walnut finish if I understood correctly. Very nice room indeed.

·
Registered
559 Posts
He seems to want a walnut finish if I understood correctly. Very nice room indeed.
Correct, and I don't like the stands (I regret not getting towers).

Thanks for the room comments, took me a while to get it together.

I've got a sub (Outlaw LFM-1EX, from launch and it's still kicking) so I'm good there serves as my end table ;)

I had some OMW3s on stands right in front of the LP but moved them up to the front high; ATMOS tracks sound great, it'd definatly a 'bubble' with the surrounds in the rear position but I kind of like it, much less directional.

I've got the'ole RS SPL meter as well, and always tune after the Audyssey run (which really does my setup correctly, minus a few tweaks to crossovers and levels...it always wants to set the 3020i to [email protected] (and they are away from the wall/not plugged) and -12 the sub as is commonplace if you run your subs a little hot; I always trim the sub -5 per Outlaws rec.

I'll admit when redoing the room I did speakers first and then cabinet with a desire to tuck the center away for AF (no W here) so I had to find one that would allow both the center width and a low profile/depth AVR (no need for separates or crazy wattage these days).

The 3090i center is the weak link for sure! I was checking out the RSL line recently, I'm a fan of matching the LCR by brand/series and don't mind have smaller/matched form factor LCRs.

I swapped out the set legs for a stand (gross) and raised it up again in prep for a new center and towers, moved the 3090i, recalibrated (after installing swivel mounts for the front highs - which were useless for swiveling - but got me a better angle)...don't mind the wire, will be running/sticking flat wire to the wall.

Using scraps/mix of wire during testing

·
Registered
966 Posts
Correct, and I don't like the stands (I regret not getting towers).
I've got a sub (Outlaw LFM-1EX, from launch and it's still kicking) so I'm good there serves as my end table
I had some OMW3s on stands right in front of the LP but moved them up to the front high, ATMOS tracks sound great, it'd definatly a 'bubble' with the surrounds in the rear position but I kind of like it, much less directional.

I've got the'ole RS SPL meter as well, and always tune after the Audyssey run (which really does my setup correctly, minus a few tweaks to crossovers and levels...it always wants to set the 3020i to [email protected] (and they are away from the wall/not plugged) and -12 the sub as is commonplace if you run your subs a little hot; I always trim the sub -5 per Outlaws rec.)

I'll admit when redoing the room I did speakers first and then cabinet with a desire to tuck the center away for AF (no W here) so I had to find one that would allow both the center width and a low profile/depth AVR (no need for separates or crazy wattage these days).

The 3090i center is the weak link for sure! I was checking out the RSL line recently, I'm a fan of matching the LCR by brand/series and don't mind have smaller/matched form factor LCRs.

I swapped out the set legs for a stand (gross) and raised it up again in prep for a new center and towers, moved the 3090i, recalibrated (after installing swivel mounts for the front highs (which were useless for swiveling but got me a better angle...don't mind the wire, will be running/sticking flat wire to them.

Using scraps/mix of wire during testing
I dislike stands too, so I feel you there.
If you want to replace the entire LCR that's of course possible and you can get one with a matching finish to your liking.
I would worry about the CC space. To get a bigger and better one you'll need more space. The QA seems to just fit there and it's small. If you can lift the TV up to allow a CC under it, that would open up more options for you. You can use a floorstand or a desktop stand to raise it if you don't wish to mount it on the wall. You'll need to verify that raising it doesn't place it too high.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I dislike stands too, so I feel you there.
If you want to replace the entire LCR that's of course possible and you can get one with a matching finish to your liking.
I would worry about the CC space. To get a bigger and better one you'll need more space. The QA seems to just fit there and it's small. If you can lift the TV up to allow a CC under it, that would open up more options for you. You can use a floorstand or a desktop stand to raise it if you don't wish to mount it on the wall. You'll need to verify that raising it doesn't place it too high.
The stands really do bug me...didn't think it would.

I'm looking at stands to accommodate a wider/bigger center, PS5 and Xbox series X, as it is now, I don't have enough room and would like to keep everything in a cabinet rather than on top (excluding the center but would like that inside as well, if possible).

·
Registered
21,634 Posts

I'm looking at stands to accommodate a wider/bigger center, PS5 and Xbox series X, as it is now, I don't have enough room and would like to keep everything in a cabinet rather than on top (excluding the center but would like that inside as well, if possible).
So moving the center out of the cabinet onto the top of the cabinet still not sounding better?

·
Registered
966 Posts

Finding a truly practical/functional cabinet for A/V isn't as simple as it sounds. Most of them gear for looks/decor and less for functionality. It really depends how important either are for you and the other people in the house. Open shelved cabinet would be the best for storing gear. Speaker inside a cabinet, let alone one with a rear port is not optimal.

·
Registered
559 Posts
So moving the center out of the cabinet onto the top of the cabinet still not sounding better?
Nope, I've had it out before (blocking the screen just to test), while better it just doesn't have the depth I'm looking for, it's a very narrow sound field and I've never been able to get it to blend well.

1661 - 1680 of 1694 Posts