AVS Forum banner

1681 - 1700 of 1747 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Finding a truly practical/functional cabinet for A/V isn't as simple as it sounds. Most of them gear for looks/decor and less for functionality. It really depends how important either are for you and the other people in the house. Open shelved cabinet would be the best for storing gear. Speaker inside a cabinet, let alone one with a rear port is not optimal.
It's always the issue, except the one time I had a man cave/HT room and speaker size, color and stands meant nothing, so easy that way!

The struggle is real and I have never put anything in an enclosed cabinet but one time and that was because the design allowed for tinted glass fronts and enough space where I installed some ultra quiet and large PC fans for excellent air flow (plus it had a half open back)...great unit.

The main struggle I'm facing now is AVR space, 6hx18d and need ventilation

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
It's always the issue, except the one time I had a man cave/HT room and speaker size, color and stands meant nothing, so easy that way!

The struggle is real and I have never put anything in an enclosed cabinet but one time and that was because the design allowed for tinted glass fronts and enough space where I installed some ultra quiet and large PC fans for excellent air flow (plus it had a half open back)...great unit.

The main struggle I'm facing now is AVR space, 6hx18d and need ventilation
On this thread I saw some cabinets that looked pretty good. They are rather expensive though:
I'm using AC Infinity MULTIFAN S7 on top of my AVR as those things get hot. It's just like $20 or so iirc. I connect it to a USB on my TV and it turns on and off with ARC. Gets the job done. They have other types of fans too (like side mounting etc).

·
Registered
18,411 Posts
Nope, I've had it out before (blocking the screen just to test), while better it just doesn't have the depth I'm looking for, it's a very narrow sound field and I've never been able to get it to blend well.
Yep, that's exactly the experience I had with the 3090 I home demoed: tinny and boxy-sounding. Can't expect much out of lousy 4" woofers.

The thing with your setup is, if you insist on the towers and center being white, your range of options will be far far more limited and lower BFTB than plain black.

These Cantons are the best reasonably priced options I can think of if white is a pre-requisite:

Reactions: Tim Hess

·
Registered
626 Posts
Yep, that's exactly the experience I had with the 3090 I home demoed: tinny and boxy-sounding. Can't expect much out of lousy 4" woofers.

The thing with your setup is, if you insist on the towers and center being white, your range of options will be far far more limited and lower BFTB than plain black.

These Cantons are the best reasonably priced options I can think of if white is a pre-requisite:

I'm moving away from white and going walnut; if I had a theater room, I'd go all black and mix and match and care, but that's not the case and do enjoy my place looking put together (as do the kids).

Ultimately, I was shaving off some of the spend going with the Qs and they just didn't hold up/meet my needs (tho the 3020i do perform well but I don't have space to use them so I'll sell the pair+center hopefully.

·
Registered
626 Posts

·
Registered
18,411 Posts
I'm moving away from white and going walnut; if I had a theater room, I'd go all black and mix and match and care, but that's not the case and do enjoy my place looking put together (as do the kids).
Walnut = Wharfedale Diamond 11.3 is available in that finish (Crutchfield) but same problem as with the QA: the "matching" center is mediocre.

Only Walnut option with a decent "matching" center is the Wharfedale Evo 4.3 or 4.4 with the 4.C center but that's going to be a bit over $2K just for those 3.

HTD Level 3 speakers come in a semi-Walnut color called Macasser Ebony...they are more reasonably priced and have gotten very good user feedback here for HT...might want to look into those.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Stand-wise, I just bit on this:

Had a Bell'O before, amazing quality...in hindsight I should have kept it :p dust was a * tho.
That looks pretty good!
I assume you'd want the center to be on the middle shelf? From Amazon Q&A:
Q: what is the height of the middle shelf?
A: From the front it's about 7.25 inches, past the wooden frame its about 8 inches high

You should keep that info in mind when you choose a new center. Measure it too to be sure when you get it assembled.
HDT L3 CC is 8.3" high.

The WD Evo is quite widely loved so they sounds like a good option. I think Zorba922 prefers them for music, but I'm sure they'll be fine for HT too. Evo4.c is 9.6" high though.
I don't pay a ton of attention to finishes, for me it's black all the way ;)

I'm not sure if you stated a budget, here are some other options, all (including the EVOs are more expensive than QA 3XXX series):

The new Chane L series launching in October comes in walnut, and I think will be similarly priced to the EVOs, maybe a bit less and the center may not be as expensive (you can ask them for approx pricing).
I think the CC is 9.25" high.

Ascend Acoustics has the Sierra Tower in Satin Espresso and Satin Dark Cherry for $2298/pr
Sierra Horizon center is 11" high.
They also have the Sierra-1 which is 7.5" high, still a bit high if the Q&A is correct.
The Duo LCR as center could work though, 5.75" high:

A step up in price for furniture grade speakers are Salk Sound:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just saw an ad on the What HiFi site announcing the availability of Q Acoustics speakers in the US. As such, an owner's thread is now appropriate. Please add your comments regarding any experiences you have had with Q Acoustics products. Here is the info: Q Acoustics: Beautifully Engineered Speakers and Soundbars
I have 1050 plus 10 series small/center/subwoofer. 10 years happy apart from woofer, always been happy but newer series looks nice.

·
Registered
626 Posts
That looks pretty good!
I assume you'd want the center to be on the middle shelf? From Amazon Q&A:
Q: what is the height of the middle shelf?
A: From the front it's about 7.25 inches, past the wooden frame its about 8 inches high
Nope, top shelf under the TV (I've recently raised my set) as I need the room due to more gear being added to the mix anyway and the current stand doesn't have enough space.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Nope, top shelf under the TV (I've recently raised my set) as I need the room due to more gear being added to the mix anyway and the current stand doesn't have enough space.
That leaves more of options then. Providing the budget and selection of walnut finishes is there. Think you got a few good contenders, not sure if WD/Chane/Ascend are in the price range you were considering, they are just the ones I could think of in the walnut region.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Was this if the US? I've been waiting for the 3090ci to come back in stock for quite some time. I almost pulled the trigger on an open box 3090c they have on their ebay store...
3090c is in stock but not the 3090ci. I spoke to them and they said it's on backorder. They don't have an idea on when it should be back but are being told "before the end of the year"

·
Registered
13 Posts
No need to buy Q Acoustics stands if you choose to go with stand mounters.

One thing I don't like about the 3090 is the tweeter placement which places it below ear level in many cases meaning you will need to tilt them to aim the tweeter at your ears while seated.

In a small room such as yours where you are forced to sit rather close I think I'd go for the 3030i.
Thanks. When I got an alert from QAcoustics that the 3090c and 3030i in Walnut were both back in stock I impulsive ordered the 3050 towers, the 3090 center, and the 3030i. I guess I figured I would test them all and then ship back what I don't want. They're expected to arrive tomorrow. If I stay w/ the 3030i I will it test w/ the 3090 and then decide if I want to wait for the 3090ci to be back in stock which may not be till the end of the year. I figure if the 3090 is ok for me the 3090ci will be about the same if not slightly better. If I like the 3050s with the 3090c then I'll keep them and ship back the 3030i. I have a subwoofer so I have a feeling I'm going to be keeping the 3030i in which case I'll be without a center for a bit but may go with either the Concept Center or Zorba's suggestion of the 3-way Emotiva C1 (thanks Zorba!). How are companies with people trialling and returning in the 30-day window? Is it understood that this happens or is it considered unethical? If anyone has any questions about these speakers once I get them, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
18,411 Posts
Thanks. When I got an alert from QAcoustics that the 3090c and 3030i in Walnut were both back in stock I impulsive ordered the 3050 towers, the 3090 center, and the 3030i. I guess I figured I would test them all and then ship back what I don't want. They're expected to arrive tomorrow. If I stay w/ the 3030i I will it test w/ the 3090 and then decide if I want to wait for the 3090ci to be back in stock which may not be till the end of the year. I figure if the 3090 is ok for me the 3090ci will be about the same if not slightly better. If I like the 3050s with the 3090c then I'll keep them and ship back the 3030i. I have a subwoofer so I have a feeling I'm going to be keeping the 3030i in which case I'll be without a center for a bit but may go with either the Concept Center or Zorba's suggestion of the 3-way Emotiva C1 (thanks Zorba!). How are companies with people trialling and returning in the 30-day window? Is it understood that this happens or is it considered unethical? If anyone has any questions about these speakers once I get them, feel free to ask.
30 day return periods are standard practice for all internet-direct companies, it's part of the cost of the business model...the manufacturer doesn't have to deal with a middleman dealer nor the massive overhead of a retail brick and mortar location, and presumably (hopefully) passes the savings on to the consumer, with the understanding that the consumer may send back their products if not 100% satisfied. Many companies offer FREE return shipping (SVS, RSL, HTD, Aperion, etc) and some vendors offer subsidized flat rate return shipping (Crutchfield).

If you find yourself less than thrilled with the 3090c, experiment with using a single 3030i as your center especially if you are able to stand it up vertically.

When I home demoed the 3090c, I found that using a 3020 or Concept 20 bookshelf as the center actually produced much better results.

·
Registered
21,727 Posts
Nope, I've had it out before (blocking the screen just to test), while better it just doesn't have the depth I'm looking for, it's a very narrow sound field and I've never been able to get it to blend well.
Perhaps my positive experiences with the dual 4" Martin Logan Motion 8 is that the cabinet has a gentle curve to it and that I only sit about 10 feet away from it.

·
Registered
626 Posts
'demoing' a Polk P35 - despite its size it sounds much better than the 3090ci to me, wider stage and more detail (and it fits where I need it.

·
Registered
18,411 Posts
'demoing' a Polk S35 - despite its size it sounds much better than the 3090ci to me, wider stage and more detail (and it fits where I need it.
Ouch! I guess my dislike of the 3090 is not so unusual, huh Geoff? @gajCA :D

@Tim Hess
The S35 is usually described as having decent voice clarity but lacking in tonal realism/fullness due to the small woofers.

How does it do with male voices, to your ears? How "male" do they sound?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
'demoing' a Polk P35 - despite its size it sounds much better than the 3090ci to me, wider stage and more detail (and it fits where I need it.

·
Registered
21,727 Posts
Ouch! I guess my dislike of the 3090 is not so unusual, huh Geoff? @gajCA :D

@Tim Hess
The S35 is usually described as having decent voice clarity but lacking in tonal realism/fullness due to the small woofers.

How does it do with male voices, to your ears? How "male" do they sound?
Well, that makes two of you that I can recall in this thread!

I don't expect universal approval of any speaker, center or otherwise, but, in general, in this entire thread most owners have been satisfied with the 3090/3090i.

To be honest, the S35 has received more criticism on AVS but that is neither here nor there.

If the OP prefers the S35 more power to him.

I do recall, not sure if it was in this thread, a member compared the Q Acoustics 3050s to Polk Signature S55s, or maybe it was S60s, at home and found that they sounded about the same to him so he kept the less expensive Polks.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'm actually enjoying the P35, I like the wider soundstage and the detail is crisper than the 3090ci; I would say tonally they are very close, with edge going to the P35 for clarity and soundstage width and if anything, the 3090ci sounds muddy in comparison.

I should note that I'm running P55s alongside it (and so far much prefer the highs and mid over the 3020i (I'm using my Outlaw LFM-1EX and Denon AVR-S750H) the Polks provide more detail to my ears; they're a tad brighter which is what I was hoping (I was tempted to go Klipsch again...). Jury is still out tho.

I've been A/B'ing all sorts of material and find that the Witcher on Netflix is a really good test for center channel male voice capabilities :p

·
Registered
18,411 Posts
I've been A/B'ing all sorts of material and find that the Witcher on Netflix is a really good test for center channel male voice capabilities :p
It would be interesting if you could substitute one of your 3020i in place of the S35 and compare how the male lead's voice sounds on those 2.

1681 - 1700 of 1747 Posts