AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked at Fulabeers site ( http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/fulabeer ) and like the blinds he has put up. I would really like to know how he and anyone else has eliminated the light.

Fulabeer has used what appears to be a plastic channel which the blind travels along. In daylight viewing I suspect light leakage will be present and obviously would not matter in the nightime.

My window is quite large and I have problems finding off-the-shelf blinds, so it's looking like made-to-measure. The size is 1.2m wide x 1.7m drop.

If anyone has an idea how to effectively cut out light and nosy people looking in, please reply, especially Fulabeer.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Miro - We have a large window, (8' wide x 5' high), in our home theater we needed to "black out".

Our solution involved a pull down shade and traditional curtains.

The shade is made of heavy vinyl, and is mounted on a spring loaded retractable rod mounted inside the window frame.

It blocks about 90% of the light. Just a little "spill" around the edges.

We then have traditional lined curtains mounted outside the window frame. These cover up the shade when it is down, and catch the light spill from the edges of the shade. It works well and looks very good. (even our interior designer liked the idea!!!) Reed.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Miro, if they're available in the UK, take a look at HunterDouglas Blackout Duettes. They stop 100% of the light, but like any shade, will leak around the edges. You would need to take this into consideration with any pulldown shade.

One way is to make a channel or baffle over the edge from wood, or hanging fabric panels.

Deane

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Reed.

My initial intentions were to have net curtains as per other rooms to maintain coordination with the house windows. These would let daylight in and keep the nosy ones out. When viewing, the blind is lowered and the enjoyment begins.

I may now reconsider and have a velvet curtain with/without a blind, to cover floor to ceiling and extending beyond the window reveals. It would also act as an acoustic break since the wall is opposite the screen and main speakers.

Thanks Deane.

I'll look for them. The trouble is size from manufacturers. They all go down to 1.6m drop but can be quite wide, 1.8m for example. A plastic U channel is available from uPVC window centres which I thought it could run in or as you say a baffle. Thanks for the suggestions.

Miro.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I don't know whats available in the UK, but here you can get room darkeners, which work quite well, and are very reasonably priced from Home Depot. Something else to consider: window film. A pro can install film that is available in different amounts of darkness, and you can get a smoke look or silver, etc. With many of these films, people cannot see in, which seems to be one of your criteria.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We don't have Home Depot but lots of similar type shops, B&Q, Focus DIY, etc. As an alternative there are hundreds of Blinds shops all over the place, just like a General Stores on every street. I will approach one, preferably a Hunter Douglas supplier, and find something.

I just may go for full drop ceiling to floor velvet or velour curtains to cover the entire window and as far either side as possible. The only hinderance are the rear speakers. Hopefully, sound absorption should be quite good.

Thanks for the interesting ideas. The reflective film is tempting. Mmmmm?

Miro.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.