AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a question for you Surgex owners.

I bought an SX-1120-RT rack unit. There is some play on the black cable plastic clamp that secures the (hefty) main power cable to the chassis. Basically the clamp rocks in and out about 5/32", as shown in the attached pictures. I bought the unit used but it's absolutely pristine otherwise. I even opened the chassis up to see if maybe it was some plastic retainer that had popped out or something, but there was nothing in there, and by the look of the cable routing job inside everything looks original and untouched.

I would feel more comfortable if the cable was firmly anchored to the chassis, so that no movement could be induced on the 3 individual cores, which have their ends soldered (if I recall correctly) to the actual circuit.

So what do you SX-1115 / SX-1120 owners out there think, are they all like that ?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
And now for the opposing viewpoint...

If I had spent $800, I might expect more, but if I got a good deal, I wouldn't give it too much thought. It really isn't going anywhere and the small amount of movement isn't going to hurt anything.

The strain relief grommet on the connector is a pretty standard component. They come in many different sizes, including sizing for different panel thicknesses. The one pictured looks like it was designed for a thicker panel, but it should work just fine for the intended purpose, to protect the cable from chafing. The manufacturer's website and a couple of pictures that I found in a quick Bing image search are attached.

http://www.heyco.com/Strain_Relief_Bushings/index.cfm?sub=original-strain-reliefs

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks M. Clement for the heads up on the grommet. Not a deal breaker, I guess I could always try and find a replacement grommet that is more suited the thickness of the panel.
Starting this thread I was hoping to determine if they come like that from the factory or if mine had been messed with.
I guess contacting them will be my next move. I'll report back with an update.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's a question for you Surgex owners.

I bought an SX-1120-RT rack unit. There is some play on the black cable plastic clamp that secures the (hefty) main power cable to the chassis. Basically the clamp rocks in and out about 5/32", as shown in the attached pictures. I bought the unit used but it's absolutely pristine otherwise. I even opened the chassis up to see if maybe it was some plastic retainer that had popped out or something, but there was nothing in there, and by the look of the cable routing job inside everything looks original and untouched.

I would feel more comfortable if the cable was firmly anchored to the chassis, so that no movement could be induced on the 3 individual cores, which have their ends soldered (if I recall correctly) to the actual circuit.

So what do you SX-1115 / SX-1120 owners out there think, are they all like that ?
I know this is an older thread, but I just wanted to weigh in on it.
1st off, the AC power cord is not soldered on at the factory. It uses Faston crimp terminals on the hot and neutral and a ring terminal on the ground.
2ndly, the Heyco strain relief [SR-7N-2] should have virtually no play. It is sized correctly for the chassis thickness.

Units scrapped at the factory [for whatever reason] have their power cords cut off a few inches away from the Heyco. I've seen these units for sale on eBay in the past, and they can be a great deal. You just don't know why they were scrapped and are taking a gamble.

I'm *guessing* someone got a hold of a scrapped unit and replaced the power cord and Heyco.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know this is an older thread, but I just wanted to weigh in on it.
1st off, the AC power cord is not soldered on at the factory. It uses Faston crimp terminals on the hot and neutral and a ring terminal on the ground.
2ndly, the Heyco strain relief [SR-7N-2] should have virtually no play. It is sized correctly for the chassis thickness.

Units scrapped at the factory [for whatever reason] have their power cords cut off a few inches away from the Heyco. I've seen these units for sale on eBay in the past, and they can be a great deal. You just don't know why they were scrapped and are taking a gamble.

I'm *guessing* someone got a hold of a scrapped unit and replaced the power cord and Heyco.
Hi PCSOhio,

Thanks for chiming in.
The unit was one of about 10 identical units in a power distribution rack in an AV install. I actually saw the full rack with all the unit still installed and cherry-picked mine.
The power cord was intact. Now, I will check again if the power cord ends are actually soldered or not, I'm not too sure.
I'm thinking the cord might have been replaced for a longer one for whatever reason, as I find it's rather long. And it's one hell of a big heavy cable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.