AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mixture of videos encoded with various codecs and in various container files. I have a NAS box from which we stream to our TV which has an LG BD570 as the client on the TV. I also put videos on my iphone 4S and 5S. The BD570 supports a wide range of container files and codecs including H.264 and MP4 and MKV container files.

My plan is to "archive" the original files and create high quality re-encoded versions that will play on the iPhones, The LG BD570, possibly my x-box, and at some future date maybe an AppleTV or Roku. That way I have a single file that plays on all those devices without sacrificing quality on any playback device.

Since I will need to re-encode the files that do not use iPhone compatible codecs, What is your recommendation on HandBrake settings (or some other tool) to re-encode them with preferably no loss of quality during the re-encoding process?

Some of the catalog is HD quality but others come from DVD quality.

NOTE: My NAS does support Plex but trans-coding at the highest quality would be too much for it, so I consider trans-coding not an option.

--Bad Brad

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The default Handbrake settings are well-chosen for preserving video quality and compatibility. Stick with mp4 container, H.264 video, AAC stereo audio. I've tried many times to find an arrangement of surround-sound tracks that would leave the file compatible with all my devices, and failed. The only arrangement that's compatible with everything is a single AAC stereo audio track, no embellishments.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp  /t/1515411/q-handbrake-settings-to-preserve-quality-and-support-multiple-devices#post_24297487

The default Handbrake settings are well-chosen for preserving video quality and compatibility. Stick with mp4 container, H.264 video, AAC stereo audio. I've tried many times to find an arrangement of surround-sound tracks that would leave the file compatible with all my devices, and failed. The only arrangement that's compatible with everything is a single AAC stereo audio track, no embellishments.
I use handbrake also but always include 2 audio tracks(1st track ac3 5.1, 2nd track AAC stereo audio). This works well for playback on multiple XBMC devices, WD Live hub, Sony blu-ray players using USB hard/thumb drives, and iPad using the OPlayer HD app.

Jay

·
Registered
4,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBrad22  /t/1515411/q-handbrake-settings-to-preserve-quality-and-support-multiple-devices#post_24297170

I have a mixture of videos encoded with various codecs and in various container files. I have a NAS box from which we stream to our TV which has an LG BD570 as the client on the TV. I also put videos on my iphone 4S and 5S. The BD570 supports a wide range of container files and codecs including H.264 and MP4 and MKV container files.

My plan is to "archive" the original files and create high quality re-encoded versions that will play on the iPhones, The LG BD570, possibly my x-box, and at some future date maybe an AppleTV or Roku. That way I have a single file that plays on all those devices without sacrificing quality on any playback device.

Since I will need to re-encode the files that do not use iPhone compatible codecs, What is your recommendation on HandBrake settings (or some other tool) to re-encode them with preferably no loss of quality during the re-encoding process?

Some of the catalog is HD quality but others come from DVD quality.

NOTE: My NAS does support Plex but trans-coding at the highest quality would be too much for it, so I consider trans-coding not an option.

--Bad Brad
By nature, re-encoding will cause a loss in quality, no way around it.  The question is how much can you tolerate and that will depend on the screen size.  For me, I chose to keep the original file for playing on all TVs in the house via Popcorn hour.  For kids movies or others I want on the go I use handbrake to create a "mobile version" which is compressed down to under 2GB using H264 and AAC in MP4 container.  This gives me the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The apple tv 2 settings in handbrake will work fine to play back on the roku 3 or roku 2xs usb or roku medial player channel via dlna server. I tried this on my xbox 360 and ps3 but it would not work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE: I wanted to update you guys with the settings I have currently settled on. The settings below seem to work fine with my iPhone 4S and iPhone 5S as well as my LG BD570 blue ray player. For streaming in the house I am connected to the BD570 via wired connection.

Settings for converting from Video TS DVD:

- Handbrake for Win version 0.9.9

- Start with High Profile Preset

Video Tab: Change constant quality to 16

- Set container file to M4V

This seems to retain the DVD quality really well while at the same time supporting all my platforms of interest. I end up with a video file about 60% of the size of the video TS combined total. I have not tried it on the x-box

I will note that forward and rewind on the BD570 is a bit sluggish on these files while some other ones I have from elsewhere forward and rewind okay.

I do have a related question. High Profile uses variable bit rate. VLC seems to report the bit rate at about 610 . Does anyone have any comments about whether I should used constant bit rate instead and if so what bit rate?

·
Registered
612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBrad22  /t/1515411/q-handbrake-settings-to-preserve-quality-and-support-multiple-devices#post_24347562

UPDATE: I wanted to update you guys with the settings I have currently settled on. The settings below seem to work fine with my iPhone 4S and iPhone 5S as well as my LG BD570 blue ray player. For streaming in the house I am connected to the BD570 via wired connection.

Settings for converting from Video TS DVD:

- Handbrake for Win version 0.9.9

- Start with High Profile Preset

Video Tab: Change constant quality to 16

- Set container file to M4V

This seems to retain the DVD quality really well while at the same time supporting all my platforms of interest. I end up with a video file about 60% of the size of the video TS combined total. I have not tried it on the x-box

I will note that forward and rewind on the BD570 is a bit sluggish on these files while some other ones I have from elsewhere forward and rewind okay.

I do have a related question. High Profile uses variable bit rate. VLC seems to report the bit rate at about 610 . Does anyone have any comments about whether I should used constant bit rate instead and if so what bit rate?

You should pretty much never use constant bit rate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts