AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What specs should a display device have (let's talk plasma) in order to display every bit of information available from the current DVD standard?

I've read that, in resolution, the closest match to DVD is the 852 x 480 pixel plasmas. Now, I'm not sure how many "pixels-worth" of resolution are contained on a good DVD transfer, but the higher-def plasma screens I've seen do seem to pull more resolution/detail out of DVD images

than the 852 x 480 models.

How about color information? How much color bit processing is needed to fully encompass that which is available on DVD? 10 bit? 12? More? Less?

Bandwidth?

You get the idea.

Thanks,

Rich H.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The Panny 42 is much sharper and more detailed than the Panny 50 on an identical DVD source (an average player). I assume it's because there is less processing of the image required...

P.S. Standing farther back didn't seem to help.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
The Panasonic RP-91 is 12 Bit Processing and I beleive it does 4:4:4 as well.

Dave

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting comment Brian, regarding the Panny 42 being sharper than the 50 inch with DVD.

How did you compare the two?

Does anyone else agree? (cheridave, you've had both, right?).

I felt I was seeing more information from my DVDs on the HD-res screens, such as the Fuji 5002/Pio 433 (and, from what I've seen, the B+O plasma, which is essentially the Panny 50 inch with a B+O processor).

Interestingly, the Pio 433 did not strike me as being sharper on quite a few of my DVDs (Jaws seems sharper on my Panny), but some DVDs looked decidedly sharper and more detailed).

Rich.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
I won't go as far and say that the 42" is MUCH sharper than the 50", but there is some difference. Three things to consider:

1. Brightness- 42" is 780cd/m and the 50" is 500cd/m.

2. Native Resolution- DVD player is 480p to a 480p display.

3. 42" 1024 shades of Grey 10 bit processing, 50" 512 shades of Grey 9 bit processing.

Dave

·
Registered
271 Posts
Quote:
... I would look for is a unit that can simultaniously deliver video from all of its video outputs.
plasmaprincess, how would this relate to Rich's questions?

Quote:
I felt I was seeing more information from my DVDs on the HD-res screens
Rich, you were seeing more "information" on the HD panels but it was manufactured (interpolated) by the display's scaler; the (NTSC) DVD is encoded 720x480 always. When the scaler is well-executed, the higher pixel rate will usually equate to a nicer image; the display "oversamples" the source data.

The fact that different DVDs looked better or worse on the Pio, confirms that panel is the more accurate performer. That is the mark of a highly resolving device, the ability to expose variations in source material quality. This is a double-edged sword: awful, edge-enhanced discs will look that much worse making you reach for the Sharpness control.

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have to bump this thread because, while I appreciate the replies, I haven't got the whole picture I was hoping for.

Dennis implies that the 852 x 480 displays should be enough to capture all the resolution of the current DVD standard.

Is that the end of the story? How do I know that I'm getting all the color information possible from the DVD. How many bit color processing will cover what DVD is capable of? Still wondering about the DVD bandwidth too.

(I.e, is my Panny 4UY or the higher res Fuji 5002 showing me everything my DVD have encoded in their pits?)

Thanks

Rich H.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Honestly, Rich, the Panasonic is showing you all the information that is encoding on the DVD. Due to imperfections in color reproduction and the analog connection between the two, it is not going to be a perfect reproduction, but there are no pixels that are "discarded" at 852 x 480.

The Fujitsu, however, has more pixels to use so it can fill in between existing pixels with information that could make the picture appear better. Even back in the old days, line quadruplers on CRT projectors could do amazing things by interpolating data and creater a picture that was sharper, depite "making up" the data to get it there.

I've not spent enough time watching DVDs on the Fujitsu to render an opinion about how great it is or isn't, but it could do a nice job due to all the clever motion algorithms and such it has. Watch a fast-moving DVD on a Teranex and you'll see something approaching film quality even on a DLP projector. Keep watching the same DVD when motion slows and it's less mind boggling (I saw this demo with Phantom Menace at the AVS Forum dinner back in January).

Mark

·
Registered
88 Posts
RH, a local brick and mortar store has a Panasonic 42 and 50 mounted next to each other driven by a Sony progessive DVD player running The Mummy 2.

I adjusted both sets by eye as well as possible (which helped the 50's picture substantially). Watching the movie, the 42 was brighter and I could see the grain on objects and read small text easier than on the 50. People's faces were recognizable quite a bit longer as the camera pulled back. Colors were more vibrant.

Freeze framing left me with the same impression. The 50's picture was just plain softer and dimmer (I assume due to the processing required to scale to a different pixel count and the lower lumens).

I'm in quite a quandry over which to buy. I love the size of the 50 and the picture of the 42 when viewing DVD (HD cable here is years away). It would be interesting to compare them viewing a High Definition source to see if my opinion reversed...

So for DVD the Panny 42 rules.

P.S. Both sets killed the Sony and Sampo 37/42 sets in the same room.

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
(This thread is sort of taking two directions, but...)

Brian,

Thank you. Very interesting about your Panny 42 vs 50 DVD experience.

The 42 is truly killer. My brother gave me the DVD of The Thin Red Line and watching it last night on the Panny was just breathtaking. So smooth, rich and clear.

In regards to 42 vs 50 on HD. A local store, which I frequent, has the 42 and 50 beside each other, being fed the same HD signal.

For HD, the 50 is clearly better than the 42 in *almost* all respects. HD looks awesome on the 42, but there is significantly more, finer resolution in the 50" panel on HD. It's much smoother on HD from almost any distance.

For instance, I remember noting that, on a close-up of writing on on paper, on the 50" the fine texture of paper beneath the writing was apparent.

On the 42" the paper texture was almost gone...I could start to notice it at a closer distance, but then the larger dot pitch of the 42 became more apparent. So, with HD, I find the 50" like looking through a window, and the 42" *almost* window-like, but the lower res/bigger pixels keep it from perfecting that vibe. It's not just pixel count and image smoothness either.

There is simply more color information and detail on the 50." The 42" beside it looks a little more "generalized" when it comes to fine color reproduction (say all the fine colors on some old dude's face or something).

But, the 42" is brighter and punchier, and in that way can produce a more vivid experience on both on HD and DVD. It attracts the eye more...

Rich

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.