Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello--

After getting a number of questions answered in this forum, the construction is about to begin on my dedicated room. Over the weekend, I picked up a pair of Infinity IL40's to be used as my L/R fronts, and they are bi-wirable. After doing some research, it looks like there is a decent advantage to be had from using this option. Here is my plan for pre-wiring. Let me know if this sounds right: From my Yamaha receiver (which does not have a bi-amp option), run one set of speaker wire (+/-) to a binding post wall plate. Then, from the binding post, run a pair of +'s, and a pair of -'s to the bi-wiring terminals. My reason for doing it this way is so I won't have to run two sets of speaker wire through the wall for each speaker. I have the ability to buy spools of Monster in-wall CL3 speaker wire at/near cost, so that's what I plan to use for the wiring. My equipment room is about 20-30 feet from the screen wall, so if I can split for the biwiring at the end of the run instead of at the beginning, it will minimize the amount of wire that will need to be run while still providing the same effect (I'm assuming here). Does this sound right, or am I missing something?

Thanks,

jj

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
This is a waste of time. The advantage of bi-wiring such a short run is negliable. Since you have that long run of single pair, the loss is going to be over that.

I will even say Bi-wiring with a commen amp is not worth the effort. yes, it's true it splits the load current over the wires, but simply using a heavier gauge will accomplish the same thing.

Where BiWiring really makes a difference as when you have a low level electronic crossover and seperate power amps for high and low end. But then you have no choice but to BiWire with this config.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Glimmie--

Good advice.....isn't 2 amps with a crossover considered bi-amping?

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Ross,

Yes it is bi-amping (as you know), and I just did it to part of my system and what a HUGE difference it made. From when you were here, I have added a Sub w/ (2) 12" speakers and a 300W built in amp. That allowed be to bi-amp the 10" subs that were in the sides of my Carver towers and use them as bass speakers rather than subs. What a difference since taking the sub chores away from the Carvers. Now the couch has the low end "feel" that was missing and the sound isn't as muddy as it was.

We are now in the process of building all new speakers for the system and will be bi-amping everything (more wire....geez!) Have you listened to any of the new DVD music in DTS. Steely Dan is a fantastic mix.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I havent yet. I definately will. Good deal on the sub. As for building new speakers...i would hang onto your old ones forever because you got some serious braggin rights in the bargain dept on them :)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
JeffTHX

If you want to Bi-Wire and maybe in the future Bi-Amp run two runs of two conductor cable for at least the Left, Center & Right fronts. Or run a single run of four conductor cable to each location. Wiring of rear speakers and subs would be dependant on speaker choice obviously.

I personally wired for every possibility I could think of. Wire is cheap compared to the effort of tearing down and repairing wall board. 17 possible locations wired with 2 or 4 conductor or both and some with RG6 quad shield also.

Jim Mc

"The Stargate"

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...&sp=1&vt=vpall

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.