AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes i have searched but not found a direct answer...

I am thinking of re-arranging my TV room with future HT work in mind.

For the time being the move will place my L sectional in the "rear" corner of the room (until a wall is knocked out to increase space) however this would place the right surround speaker in the rear right corner at 90* and directly above the corner of the sectional.

Diagram as flws:
http://s519.photobucket.com/albums/u...atersetup2.jpg

The room is 12' long by 12.5' wide and once the wall is out would be 17' long 12.5' wide... until the wall is out a 7.1 setup is out of the question... for now im stuck with 5.1...

My question is would this pose a problem with surround setup?

I am worried about less than desirable sound quality with the R surround overhead at 90* to the sectional and in the corner...

FYI equip as flws:

RECEIVER: Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K

FRONT: Klipsch F-2

CENTER: Klipsch C-1

SURROUND: Klipsch S-2

SUB: Klipsch Sub-10

(yes there was a sale at best buy...)

appreciate yr comments and any insight as to what i could do?

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I'm sure you realize that it's not optimal, but in the end given the alternative of not having any surround, it's better than nothing.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
As currently configured, the Rs's rear tweet fires into the back wall about 2' from the corner, and the Ls's rear tweet shoots into the sub-wall. Assuming the prime seat is on axis of the video screen, the Ls is also about 20" further away than the Rs.

Just a thought. You might try putting the surrounds at a 45* angle on the back wall, in the corners. That will put them equidistant to the prime seat. Since the 2 tweets are mounted at 90* to each other in each speaker, that will then fire one set of tweets forward, and the other along the back wall toward each other. Not sure that will help a lot, but I suspect it might be better than having them hitting the walls so directly.

Try to keep your options open so you can move them around a few times and see what sounds best.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
The surrounds are bi-poles and fire at an angle already.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was actually thinking of setting the surrounds in the corner as well at 45* angle however what i am most worried about is the speaker on the right being "too close" to the sectional... in otherwords if there are 3 people on the sectional the person on the right side would experience near 0 surround from the right as it would be "overhead"??

also what do you guys think of this setup:
http://s519.photobucket.com/albums/u...atersetup3.jpg

i was thinking of this however i would have to build a dividing wall at 11-12 ft from the rear wall (the area with diagonal lines is 7' ceiling btw whereas everywhere else 8') and this would give little room to create space behind seating for 7.1 and also limit the throw distance from a projector (future project)...

*sigh* need a new house...

·
Registered
12,417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by W01F /forum/post/16925026

I was actually thinking of setting the surrounds in the corner as well at 45* angle however what i am most worried about is the speaker on the right being "too close" to the sectional... in otherwords if there are 3 people on the sectional the person on the right side would experience near 0 surround from the right as it would be "overhead"??

The surround will not be zero, but of course it will not be balanced wrt to the other. That compromize is still there even with the room rotated 90*.

Aside from angling the surrounds 45* in the corners, you could also tilt them down a bit. Just have to try a few positions and see how it comes out. In fact, you can just hook up the pair of surrounds to a stereo source and move your seating position (a chair) to different positions and see how well these two room options compare before you commit either way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts