AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my consideration for buying a new dvd player, one of the features that interest me is the zoom feature. But I'm wondering in all honesty, how often will/does it really get used?

-hud

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Interesting question ....... and I'm about to give an answer you probably didn't expect:

No DVD player yet exists that combines the great progressive deinterlacing like you get from the DVDO or Sage/Faroudja chips with the great natural-look zooming you get with the Malata or RP91 DVD players.

If someone would offer a DVD player that had the above I'd buy it and:

- zoom to fill my entire 16X9 screen every non-anamophic letterbox movie and watch the entire movie zoomed

- zoom to fill my entire 16X9 screen every anamorphic movie that had an aspect ratio greater than my 16X9 screen and watch the entire movie zoomed

I would do the above because the size of my 16X9 screen is so perfect for my current viewing setup that I'm willing to cut off the sides on widescreen movies so they fill the vertical height of my screen.

(I know you didn't expect this answer because I'm willing to bet that there's not any other person reading this that feels this way about "OAR"!!)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow, 7 whole votes so far...is the zoom feature really that uninteresting/useless???

As I don't own a dvd player yet, I'm asking this question honestly. I thought it would be a cool feature, to be able to freeze a scene and zoom in on particular things of interest in the scene. With regard to pnichols reply, I guess I didn't really even think of watching an entire movie while zoomed in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.