AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I was looking into buying a computer screen, and I have found one (the Samsung Central Station 23" to be exact) and so I am going to be going to school, and over there they have a cable line. Me being as I am, I don't want to leave and port unused. I was thinking of ways to get TV on the monitor because it has VGA and HDMI inputs, but I cannot figure out an economic way to do so. I know I can go out and buy one of those junky looking boxes to do the job, but I really don't feel like doing that. If I were to take my Comcast HD box over there and connect it to the college's cable line, would I at least be able to pull the basic channels? I'm pretty sure the school doesn't offer boxes so everything is unencrypted, if that matters. Well thanks for any input

·
Registered
948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneelmaan
Hey everyone! I was looking into buying a computer screen, and I have found one (the Samsung Central Station 23" to be exact) and so I am going to be going to school, and over there they have a cable line. Me being as I am, I don't want to leave and port unused. I was thinking of ways to get TV on the monitor because it has VGA and HDMI inputs, but I cannot figure out an economic way to do so. I know I can go out and buy one of those junky looking boxes to do the job, but I really don't feel like doing that. If I were to take my Comcast HD box over there and connect it to the college's cable line, would I at least be able to pull the basic channels? I'm pretty sure the school doesn't offer boxes so everything is unencrypted, if that matters. Well thanks for any input
You want a USB stick tuner (Hauppague is a good one) with QAM and NTSC, unless you can find out ahead of time which system the building uses. You just plug the cable into one end, and the other end goes in a USB port. The PC can DVR programs using the tuner's included software, or Windows Media Center.

These tuners can also do ATSC with an antenna.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneelmaan /forum/post/20840869

... I am going to be going to school, and over there they have a cable line..... If I were to take my Comcast HD box over there and connect it to the college's cable line, would I at least be able to pull the basic channels? ...

Is the cable line hooked to cable or an antenna? If the latter your Comcast HD box won't do you any good, you'll need a OTA HD tuner with HDMI(or some even have VGA) output. Check out Ken H's sticky thread in this forum.

If they have some other inhouse cable system a DVDR with a NTSC/ATSC/QAM tuner would work but note DVDRs are SD upconverted to HD, not the same as true HD, you'll want one with HDMI output.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
My guess is it's analog with no HD. The tuner would have to be able to tune analog cable and provide HDMI(or VGA) output. Any upconverting DVD recorder with a tuner should work, doesn't have to have a digital tuner.

Don't get a digital only STB as it probably won't do you any good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.