Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am concidering buying this DVD player.

I have heard that there are 2 versions, Europe and International ?

Is it true that the Europe version does not have compoment out and does not inculde the Faroudja chip ?

Thank you,

anders

·
Registered
49 Posts
...If you are importing...might as well go for Philips 962sa which is PAL Pro. and SACD without any of the Q50 problems.I have had to return 3 Q50 machines so far because of ongoing problems with random freezes or machine freeze etc etc.I tried all firmware upgrades...i.o,n...but to no avail.Interestingly all the problems happened on the interlaced mode.No doubt the picture quality was still breathtaking but the ongoing hassle just put me off.So far I have'nt heard a single complaint about the 962SA.I am thinking of ordering it...just want to be double sure this time.

Cheers.

PS... Plus "Halcy" is happy with it so far & I value that as the ultimate seal of approval!

·
Premium Member
8,104 Posts
They are pretty good *dealer*,

Note, they do not make any modifications - they are reselling a Hong Kong version of the Q50 (which is multizone).

As I understand it, there are specific codes (look it up on this forum using search) to make the US Q50 fully multiregion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do NOT purchase the Philips!!!

I tried to call customer support for the known problems with the Q50 and the 4.13f firmware but they are no help at all. They state that they know of no issues and the unit cannot be upgraded. There is NO technical support at all.

Since running out of options with Philips I upgraded the unit to 4.15i and have more problems than before. They are as follows:

Horrible stair-stepping in chroma

dvd's freeze

dvd's skip constantly

audio dropout

This unit is going back and I will NEVER deal with Philips again!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mmcaleer

...snip of rant.

This unit is going back and I will NEVER deal with Philips again!

The upside of the unit is it has the best picture I have ever seen on a sub $1500 unit. But what good does it do if I have all these other problems and Philips ignores you?
While it is unfortunate that you have had the kind of experience you state from Philips and should certainly do what is needed to resolve your concerns, there is no justification for you to dig up old Q50 threads and go on and on with this petulant pouting. I suspect the the majority of Q50 owners, like myself, have never had a problem, even with older firmware and no upgrade. A few have had some difficulties that were resolved with a firmware upgrade. And I am sure that a very few have had lemons --- as you seem to have.

There is not a single product manufactured or grown that is perfect in every unit produced; that is life. You say that you can exchange or get a refund for the Q50 you don't like? Fine, do it and get on with enjoying your home theater. But please stop this personal vendetta that has you going on and on as if Philips knows you and personally has it out for you. My experience with Philips and their products has been superlative; and the Q50 produces a noticeably improved picture over the Panasonic RP-56 and RP-91 from which I have done direct comparisons.

I hope your final resolution leaves you in a better state and able to relax and enjoy your home theater.

Dave

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Dave,

Related to your fine Q50 images, I think the Q50 may still be the only DVD player in world (other than the EAD 8000 Pro and Krell Standard - which I don't know about) that combines the Faroudja deinterlacer chip with a 12-bit video DAC. I believe all other Faroudja powered players are using

"only" 10-bit video DAC's.

I noticed this detail buried in the Q50 specs over a year ago.....for what it's worth!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bugg

While it is unfortunate that you have had the kind of experience you state from Philips and should certainly do what is needed to resolve your concerns, there is no justification for you to dig up old Q50 threads and go on and on with this petulant pouting. I suspect the the majority of Q50 owners, like myself, have never had a problem, even with older firmware and no upgrade. A few have had some difficulties that were resolved with a firmware upgrade. And I am sure that a very few have had lemons --- as you seem to have.

Dave
The reason I am upset with Philips is because the way they have handled this issue with me. They ignored the issue, denied any problems with the unit and only after I asked to speak with a manager would they even suggest replacing the unit. They said it would take about 4 weeks to replace it.

And why is this is one of the only units that has more dedicated threads than any other unit on the market complaining about it's problems? I have never seen another unit where you have to get your fixes by trading firmware on the internet because the manufacturer denies they have firmware upgrades and that the unit in NOT upgradable.

On the upside I do love the unit and hate to return it. It probably has one of the best pictures of any units I have seen under $1500.

I hope they fix their problems because I would really like to have one that works properly.

I think I am done with my ranting.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mmcaleer

The reason I am upset with Philips is because the way they have handled this issue with me. They ignored the issue, denied any problems with the unit and only after I asked to speak with a manager would they even suggest replacing the unit. They said it would take about 4 weeks to replace it.

And why is this is one of the only units that has more dedicated threads than any other unit on the market complaining about it's problems? I have never seen another unit where you have to get your fixes by trading firmware on the internet because the manufacturer denies they have firmware upgrades and that the unit in NOT upgradable.
From your perspective, they certainly handled it poorly. I am unclear as to why it would take so long for a return to be made; it would seem that if this was this a local purchase, a return to the vendor would be a relatively straight-forward issue. Perhaps the store should be blamed for making a return more difficult than necessary.

Over the years I have seen virtually every manufacturer dog-piled on with complaints. The Q50 hasn't had what I consider to be an extraordinary amount of criticism: Indeed, what I see is a large number of Q50 enthusiasts engaged in dialogue about hacking regional code restrictions, PAL format progressive input hacks an, yes, firmware updates to solve glitches both minor and major.

The issue of firmware upgradeability may not be a common item in DVD players to date, but it will be much more common in the short run; and as far as I'm concerned, that is a good thing. It will be nice to get significant improvements by uploading new data, than haveing to wait for those changes to be made on the next iteration of product.

As to the Q50, the 962 now replaces it. It seems to be bug free with a slightly improved video performance and markedly improved video performance. I have one on it's way ($500.00 including shipping) set for arrival in the next day or two. In the meantime, I will be happy to sell my glitch-free Q50 for a great price to anyone interested.

Dave

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Dave,

Do you have any idea how you switch between interlaced and progressive on the 962?

My RPTV locks in full with progressive, so I need to use interlaced occasionally for non-anamophics.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pnichols
Dave,

Do you have any idea how you switch between interlaced and progressive on the 962?

My RPTV locks in full with progressive, so I need to use interlaced occasionally for non-anamophics.
I was under the impression that rather than using a switch on the player, there are two seperate sets of outputs, one for interlaced and one for progressive. I haven't recieved mine yet, but on the Q50 the outputs are seperate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.