Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Q50 users

I've received Q50 firmware upgrade files from PHILIPS KOREA.

fixed : image shift, chroma bug, random freeze etc.

use : Download both of 2 files and copy to empty CD. Play the CD on Q50 without any control on the player during automatic set-up. Finally Q50 opens the tray and draw back the CD. Completed!

Have a good luck!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got file from FTP site but I don't know how to burn those files into my CDR. They are not image files for burning CD-ROM.

Should I just copy those files into CDR than Q50 will update itself?

·
Registered
39 Posts
æ Q50´Â ÄÚµåÇø®±â°è ÀԴôÙ. ÀÌ ¾÷µ¥ÀÌÆ®ÈÄ¿¡ ÄÚµå Çø®´Â ¹®Ã¦ ¾ø³ª¿ä?

亸 °¨»ç ÇմôÙ.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You can download this file at
ftp://203.231.213.246/incoming/0108161042/

now.

I don't know how long it can last at that server. better hurry!:)

And please, don't forget to post results of your update.:D

P.S:I haven't tried this update since I'm not in home thus use it with your own risk.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If I need to ask Singapore Philips for this then what should I be asking them ... version info etc. ... will they know about this???

Judging from my last few interactions they don't seem to know much about this

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi, can this patch be applied to HK version?

And what format should I write on the CDR? Data? Audio CD?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The upgraded firmware was reportedly deveoped by Q50 design team in Singapore and can be applyed to every Q50s except for European version I'm not sure of.

The 2 files don't need converting. Just copy them to an EMPTY CD and play the CD on the unit.

On the code freed unit, no problem found yet.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Who/where do I contact to get a software upgrade CD sent to me - not all of us have CD burners.

A U.S. dealer I visited this week had a demo Q50 on the floor that had stamped on the back August 2001 as the month of manufacture. I wonder what month of manufacture will automatically include the updates in the player?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks evaa.

But when buring to a CDR, you need to decide on which format, whether it is a data CD, audio CD, VCD?

Please advise.

·
Registered
97 Posts
In addition, any improvement those who upgraded have seen? What will be the new firmwire version?

Sorry for so many questions asked.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pnichols
A U.S. dealer I visited this week had a demo Q50 on the floor that had stamped on the back August 2001 as the month of manufacture. I wonder what month of manufacture will automatically include the updates in the player?
The upgrade file has just been made available, so my guess is that no model out there in the market has this upgrade. My model is manufactured on Aug 2001 as well, and it had all the glitches.

I am about to give my Q50 an upgrade in a few hours when I get back home. From what I hear, it has corrected:

- the vertical shift problem

- chroma bug in interlaced mode

- random freezing

PLUS the player can now zoom in play mode (previously, the zoom function automatically paused the image).

If the upgrade really solves all the problems, Q50 is now back as a candidate for best buy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No format selection needed. Just select 'copy files' on your burning program.

I don't have any idea where to contact outside Korea. Philips Korea provided the firmware for 'HIFINET' I'm working for just yesterday, I'm sorry. Don't mind down loading from ftp://203.231.213.246/incoming/0108161042/ . In case you have no CDR, just refer to your friends. It's just 2 and some MB. That would be the fastest way outside Korea, I guess.

Improvement :

*Image shift - corrected.

*random freeze - might be OK. I palyed 'the fifth element' last night and no freezing found except when changing layers.

*chroma bug - not checked yet. But Philips insists it'll be fixed with tihs firmware. I'll report next week.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks again evaa.

From your reply I guess the format is a normal Data CD, I will give it a try.

Hope it solves all problems I have with interlaced and chroma problem.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Any hot key to verify the version of the firmware? I want to know if the firmware is updated properly after I insert the CDR.

Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
I got a blank CD-R, and burnt those two files into the CD-R as data CD format.

Then I recorded the existing Q50 firmwire version, and turn on the DVD player, put in the CDR, and closed the door.

On the screen, it shows reading... reading... and after a few seconds, the CDR was rejected.

I checked the version, but nothing has been changed!

And then I put the CDR into my CDRWriter and finalized the data CD and tried again.

Still nothing changed.

The version is still 4.13.f 010711 P70 5.1.14

What's wrong? Please help.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Music,

I bought my Q50 in HK and upgraded successfully with those files this evening.

I have failed first try with CD-RW and succeeded with CD-R.

I didn't need to finalize my disk anyway.

You need to turn off and turn on again after put CD-R in then just wait until CD door opened. You will see some kind of counting on LCD display during the update.

Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 165 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.