Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Got mine from HIVIZONE, and everything is working alright.

Its PAL and NTSC progressive.

What i did notice though is the very poor quality of the component output.

1st, i get rolling diagonal lines, sometimes they go up , sometimes down.

They are only visible if you get within 2 meters of the screen.

2nd, there is a yellow hue/blue to the outline of all objects on screen.

These two major flaws are not present when using s-video output.

BUT using s-video output, i loose approximately 5 cm of the image left and right side PAL, and top and lower edge NTSC.

Is that normal, image visible area s-video vs component ?

Concerning the 2 major flaws, i am not sure what to do, maybe send an email to HIVIZONE ?

I read that people had problems with rolling bars on the denon pal progressive as well. Maybe the same kind of problem ?

Help appreciated.

Anders

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes I noticed the rolling lines problem on mine, received recently from HIVIZONE, but only on the non-progressive component output (which I never use).

The progressive output (use this most) does not have any of these problems on NTSC and PAL. No problems on S-Video either. But I've noticed quite bad chroma bug on the progressive output. I'll do some more testing.

But I'm extremely happy with this player, great picture (used with Sharp Z9000E), no lockups and great MP3 support.

·
Registered
819 Posts
UKdude,

have you upgraded your firmware? According to Secrets of Home theater and Hifi, the most recent update eliminated the chroma bug on Q50. Do a search on this forum for Q50 and firmware, if you haven't already.

I'd really appreciate if you could report your chroma bug results after the firmware update.

cheers,

Halcy

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi

Well, since i ordered mine from hivizone 1 week ago, it has the latest firmware, 4.15I .

Strange that you have the rolling lines on non progressive output component and I have them on the progressive output.

If that is the chroma bug, then it is completely unacceptable.

If what you say is true, that the yellow / blue outline on some object is the chroma bug, how come it is NOT there on s-video.

Do any one of you have any explanation to the visible image size, component vs s-video ?

The rolling lines, are also completely unacceptable.

Should i order another player and hope for the best ?

Regards Anders

·
Registered
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Halcy
UKdude,

have you upgraded your firmware? According to Secrets of Home theater and Hifi, the most recent update eliminated the chroma bug on Q50. Do a search on this forum for Q50 and firmware, if you haven't already.

I'd really appreciate if you could report your chroma bug results after the firmware update.

cheers,

Halcy
But I have the 4.15i and I only got the player a few weeks ago. This is the latest firware isn't it? I don't want to mess around with the firmware when it is currently working well, i.e. progressive PAL/region free. I'll look more into the chroma bug issue, perhaps it is my projector.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just a note on the chroma bug. The red titles at the beginning of the recent LEGEND UE are quite bad, isn't this the chroma bug?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

Do you have the 2001 dvd, if you do, check the title headline 2001 .

White letters with slight yellow to left side inside the letters(white area).

Anders

·
Registered
819 Posts
Gronbek and UKdude,

yes, you have the latest (working) firmware. No need to upgrade.

I don't think the rolling lines you describe is caused by chroma bug. Hard to say without seeing if myself, of course. There's a good description (with images) of what chroma bug is at this address:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...ug-4-2001.html

UKDude,

funny you should ask about Legend. The titles have a nasty "ghosting" behind them in the opening titles sequence, don't they? I saw this too, but on another player. I don't think it's caused by chroma bug either, I think it's on the the movie itself (or at least on the dvd transfer).

cheers,

Halcy

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi

During 2 hours film watching yesterday night, the lines were gone completely !

So, either it is something inside the DVD player that needs to get "burned" in or there is some external interference occuring.

Anyone have any explanation to the visible image area compared between s-video, component interlaced and component progressive modes.

For example, in the 2001 space movie menu screen, running in component progressive pal, i can see the whole rear end of the space ship.

Running in the other 2 modes, s-video and component interlaced, the half part of the rear end of the space ship is cut of, not visible !!

Also the image is squeezed vertically, but the visible image area remains the same.

Is the 3:2 pulldown ?

Anders

·
Registered
132 Posts
Halcy,

Yes the ghosting around the red letters is there, but that isn't the problem, it is the "hatching" or "blocky" look whereas it should be smooth which indicates the Chroma bug according to the the other reports I've seen.

I'll check with a chroma-bug free player tonight and compare.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Done more checks and it looks like the chroma bug to me with progressive. The chroma-bug free player had none of the blocky hatching in the reds on Legend UE. This shows up best on the copyright WARNING right at the beginning and of course the films opening titles.

People said that the chroma-bug was almost eliminated bug is this true? Have they tested on a large screen, i.e. mine is 100". I may try reflashing the 4.15i firmware.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.