AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does the Philips Q50 handle interlaced PAL? Can it convert interlaced PAL into progressive NTSC?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought the Q50 in the Netherlands and I'm not happy with it :( .

It sucks when you watch a movie using the interlaced Pal output.

Deep red colors are really terrible to look at.

I have also the random freeze.

I did not try a firmware update, because I'm planning to return the Q50 and get another DVD-player.

I'm not sure which one to choose know.

I don't know how it looks in progressive mode, because progressive TV's are hard to get in Holland. And also very expensive.

And worst of all (if you planned to use your player in progressive mode).

I think the European Q50 is not using the Sage / Faroudja FLI2200 chip!!

I'm not sure about this, but Stacey is working on it.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Just another example of us Europeans being treated as third class HT pundits.

If we really want to get high performance we have to buy our display (i.e. tv sets), video source (i.e. dvd players) and material (i.e. dvd discs) from US.

This is a *major* pain in the arse and I can't for the life of me fathom, why we are not treated better as HT consumers.

Don't the European manufacturers want our money? Are they too lazy to fix things? Is there a global conspiracy with MPAA behind it? :)

It SURELY isn't for the lack of demand that I can assure you.

Ranting,

Halcy

·
Registered
98 Posts
I live in Europe and the Q50's that I saw on retailers do not have progressive scan capabilities.

We are the "Old continent". Too old, I beleive...

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Q50 is also an European model.

Here are a few lines from my manuel:

- DCC (on Pr/Cr Pb/Cb Y Component Video Out only)
- Digital Crystal Clear (DCC) allows you to fine-tune the following parameters in progressive scan component output.

This model do have progressive scan capabilities!

But I'm still thinking, no Sage chip.

In about 5 minutes I'm returning the Q50,

and go look for another DVD-player.

European garbage........

·
Registered
84 Posts
hi,

only yesterday did I buy the Q50 because of "that" note about progressive scan in the manual - only to discover, that it is not,

NOT progressive scan and therefore a completely different dvd-player to the Q50 sold in the US. I returned it to my dealer and am stuck - for now - to my "old" pioneer 737. I have considered buying from hivizone, but with postage it works out at $595, and we have to pay 25,5% tax over here, so it ends up costing $750. and it can't be that good, can it?

kind regards

thomas

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello, our European friends,

The reason the Q50 in Europe doesn't output PAL in progressive mode is because there is no standard for copy protection set for that format. They - whoever they may be - have not yet agreed on how this should be implemented. The player we get in Asia and presumably in the US also doesn't have progressive mode in PAL - we only have that in NTSC mode. Perhaps when they finally agree upon the macrovision format, Philips will have a firmware upgrade to "unlock" the progressive PAL ban.

So it's actually a copyright problem, which doesn't help us feel better about the matter at all. :mad:

·
Registered
97 Posts
After I updated my Q50 with the new patch, it shows huge improvement in interlaced (4:3 & 16:9) and progressive (4:3).

Progressive 16:9 enhanced is always as good as masked by the DCDi chip.

However, I heard that the new patch is not for European model, may be another evidence that the European model is different in chip and components.

You guys should urge Philips to release a patch for European model...

·
Registered
84 Posts
hi there,

the Q50 sold in europe is not progressive scan full stop. I have only got region one dvds and am taking full advantage of the progressive scan on my pioneer 737 and a panasonic plasma tv.

the american Q50 has two sets of component outputs, one for interlaced and one for progressive; in europe, the progressive one is missing and so is the sage chip.

regards

thomas

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wonder if the Australian version of the Q50 has progressive output? In any event it sounds like this player has too many bugs to sought out and will not be investing my hard earned $$$ on this machine.

Now what to turn to????

·
Registered
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thomas sturm
hi there,

the Q50 sold in europe is not progressive scan full stop. I have only got region one dvds and am taking full advantage of the progressive scan on my pioneer 737 and a panasonic plasma tv.

the american Q50 has two sets of component outputs, one for interlaced and one for progressive; in europe, the progressive one is missing and so is the sage chip.

regards

thomas
Does the European Q50 have the DCDi logo on the front?

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I swapped a few e-mails with mediacheckpoint, who in turn pestered Philips Germany, and the definitive answer is that the European Q50 is *NOT* progressive scan. Same model number, different stuff inside.

And a notice to everyone considering buying Q50 from Hivizone: the HK version doesn't do PAL progressive either, only NTSC.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the New Zealand Q50 and it has two component outputs. One for prgressive and one for interlaced.

We are a region 4, PAL country.

·
Registered
215 Posts
SpankMe:

Can your Q50 do 576p or only 480p? How much does this player cost in NZ?

Regards,

Patrick J.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Hey Darth,

I'm also living in the Netherlands (Amsterdam), what part of Holland are you in?

I am considering the following DVD Players.

The Philips Q50 from Hivizone.

The Hiteker HI-7701 www.hiteker.nl

the CineULTRA (expensive Malata N996) from Germany.

Any thoughts on these?

A'dam Guy

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was ordering a Q50, but after i've read all those threads, I cancelled my order. I really wanted the DCDi with the FAROUDJA 2200 chip. In Europe there is NO progressive output available on the Q50.

Now my question: If I buy a unit in US or Asia or elsewhere, can I use PAL DVD (region 2) in this unit (after the known region hack)?

The prograssive output will be NTSC I guess...Is there a way to hack this too, with a firmware update?

THX

Xavier:confused:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.