AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a denon 4311ci that I'll be running 5.1 and an additional 2ch zone.


I'll have 2 unused channels I can assign as biamp to the KEF Q900s. I understand how bipamping works but I've read where some people say its worth it and others say its not.


I will not be adding an amps any time soon. The room is fairly large.


I have

Q900 fronts

Q600 center

Infinity rs4(will be replaced with q300) surrounds

Infinity sub(will be replaced with fv15hp)


In my setup do you think I should do it? I personally can't see any reason why I shouldn't, but there are many people out there that know more on this subject than me.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvwpwr  /t/1470118/q900-bipamped-with-a-denon-4311#post_23249427



I'll have 2 unused channels I can assign as biamp to the KEF Q900s. I understand how bipamping works but I've read where some people say its worth it and others say its not.

.
Bi-amping is when you have an electronic crossover that splits the high and low frequencies, sending them to separate amplifiers, which each feed the woofer and tweeter directly and independently, with no passive crossover. The result is lowered distortion and it can be a significant improvement.

So-called 'passive bi-amping' does not use an electronic crossover, so both amps receive the same signal and both send the same signal to the speaker, where passive crossovers are still employed. It does nothing. IMO no engineer worth his salt would recommend it, and its only value is as a marketing tool.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer181  /t/1470118/q900-bipamped-with-a-denon-4311#post_23823994


So you are saying that if your speakers have a cross over you can effectively bi-amp/bi-wire your speakers properly and they should have an overall improvement?

Speakers have a cross over. The issue is that most AVR have passive bi-mapping, which doesn't do anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts
So if I am running a pioneer SC67 and KEF Q900 which have the electric switch, because I have an AVR and not a dedicated amp, its going to do nothing?.... damn I am really trying to get the best out of these speakers!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer181  /t/1470118/q900-bipamped-with-a-denon-4311#post_23824031


So if I am running a pioneer SC67 and KEF Q900 which have the electric switch, because I have an AVR and not a dedicated amp, its going to do nothing?.... damn I am really trying to get the best out of these speakers!!!

Pretty much. You will need and external amplifier with double or triple the power of your current AVR
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer181  /t/1470118/q900-bipamped-with-a-denon-4311#post_23823994


So you are saying that if your speakers have a cross over you can effectively bi-amp/bi-wire your speakers properly and they should have an overall improvement?
If your speakers have a crossover you cannot bi-amp, and there will be no improvement whatsoever. If you do not have an electronic crossover you cannot bi-amp, and there will be no improvement whatsoever.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvwpwr  /t/1470118/q900-bipamped-with-a-denon-4311#post_23249427


I understand how bipamping works but I've read where some people say its worth it and others say its not.

Theoretically, from an engineering perspective, even passive bi-amp helps.


But in reality, it doesn't really help at all.



So I would not mess with that.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy  /t/1470118/q900-bipamped-with-a-denon-4311#post_23825874


Theoretically, from an engineering perspective, even passive bi-amp helps.
From an engineering perspective there's no difference. The voltage swing is identical, so there's no increase in volume. Current delivery is limited by the capacity of the power supply, and that's unaltered. THD, S/N, IMD, all those factors that are improved with true active bi-amping are not improved upon with passive bi-amping. It's a sales tool, and nothing more.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1470118/q900-bipamped-with-a-denon-4311#post_23826339


From an engineering perspective there's no difference. The voltage swing is identical, so there's no increase in volume. Current delivery is limited by the capacity of the power supply, and that's unaltered. THD, S/N, IMD, all those factors that are improved with true active bi-amping are not improved upon with passive bi-amping. It's a sales tool, and nothing more.

I assume you graduated with an electrical engineering degree from an accredited university and have a Professional Engineer license?


But you must realize that you are not the ONLY engineer in this world with an opinion?


There are other real professional electrical engineers out there in the world who share that perspective.


I don't believe in passive bi-amp at all, so it's not my perspective. I am not even an engineer, so I was just relaying their sentiments.


From some Professional Electrical Engineers' perspective (those who have graduated with honors from universities, those who also think they are pretty smart), passive bi-amp THEORETICALLY has merits.


But realistically, it offers no benefits, which is where I stand.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy  /t/1470118/q900-bipamped-with-a-denon-4311#post_23827201


I assume you graduated with an electrical engineering degree from an accredited university and have a Professional Engineer license?
EEs don't necessarily know more than the average layman with respect to sound reproduction gear, depending on what courses they took. My Masters is in Acoustical Engineering, which specializes in it.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top