AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep reading about QAM cards and other stuff when browsing thru 2nd hand D* HD receivers. What is QAM, and do I need to worry about that if I'm interested in viewing OTA HDTV signals and Discovery HD and that's pretty much it? Also, in these second hand receivers I notice that there's no cards in most of them. Does that mean I have to buy that in addition to the receiver? Is such a thing purchasable and will D* activate that as a secondary receiver on my account?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I too am intrested in what QAM is...

But with regards to your second question regarding the Access Cards.

Yes and No.....

Yes you need one, and you will have to get it from DirecTV.

Yes and No part: You may or may not have to pay for it. Depends on the CSR you get and your situation (if you are already a customer ect...). But in worst case the Access Card is approx $25, but there is a good chance you can get it out shelling out the money.

This happens often and is not out of the ordinary to pickup recievers (not just HDTV recievers) 2nd/3rd/4th/5th hand... and the access cards 99% need to be replace or don't exist in the first place.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.