AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just purchased a Sony KDL-40V2500. Will pick it up next week.

The TV has a built in QAM tuner that I am planning on using with my Comcast "Enhanced" cable after I upgrade from "Basic".

If I use an optical cable from the optical-out on the TV to the optical-in on my Marantz SR7001 receiver, will I get Dolby Digital 5.1 from the unencrypted digital/HD stations the QAM tuner decodes (if the station is sending DD5.1)?

Are there any other sound formats besides Mono, Stereo & DD5.1 in the digital/HD broadcast TV world?

Would I be better off getting an external QAM tuner with HDMI-out to run to my receiver's HDMI-in for audio?

·
Registered
94 Posts
dont bother with "enhanced" the signal is on the wire already. if you are only interested with broadcast HD signals. the only reason for a change in subscription is if you want espn1/2, inhd, mtvhd, discvhd, golfhd, tnthd, tbshd.

when you plug the cable (from wall) into your tv all you have to do is a channel scan. the tv should pick up the available analog channels and then also the unemcrypted digital ones.

as far as the sound output just use the the optical out on your tv to one of the optical inputs on you a/v receiver. when a show is broadcasting in DD the you should see it indicated on your receiver.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBBY DIGITAL /forum/post/0

dont bother with "enhanced" the signal is on the wire already. if you are only interested with broadcast HD signals. the only reason for a change in subscription is if you want espn1/2, inhd, mtvhd, discvhd, golfhd, tnthd, tbshd.

when you plug the cable (from wall) into your tv all you have to do is a channel scan. the tv should pick up the available analog channels and then also the unemcrypted digital ones.

as far as the sound output just use the the optical out on your tv to one of the optical inputs on you a/v receiver. when a show is broadcasting in DD the you should see it indicated on your receiver.

So I will get the same QAM stations with "Basic" that I would with "Enhanced"?

The next level up from "Enhanced" is "HD" and that means I would have to use Comcast's decoder box (no way) and I thought the "HD" sub would give me the channels you mentioned above. I could care less about sports (gasp!), so the only channel I would care about is DiscvHD (not willing to pay the "HD" premium for one channel).

·
Registered
94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_j_johnson /forum/post/0

So I will get the same QAM stations with "Basic" that I would with "Enhanced"?

The next level up from "Enhanced" is "HD" and that means I would have to use Comcast's decoder box (no way) and I thought the "HD" sub would give me the channels you mentioned above. I could care less about sports (gasp!), so the only channel I would care about is DiscvHD (not willing to pay the "HD" premium for one channel).

"enhanced" (digital) is the same as basic expanded (analog). the only difference is that an atsc tuner is decoding the digital stream be it in the box or your tv. $2 price increase. check comcasts web page for the various packages.

you wouldnt necesarily have to you use comcasts hd box. you could have them send a cable card for your HD television and use the "enhanced box" on your other tv.

as it stands HD networks are passed on via comcast, free of charge.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay...looking at Comcast's website, the following packages are available in my area:

Limited

Basic

Enhanced

HD

So you are saying that "Basic" (which I have now) is analog and uses the NTSC tuner? And if I get "Enhanced", then my TV's ATSC tuner kicks in? And with either package, the QAM tuner will still give me the same unencrypted digital/HD local channels?

Seems to me that the best route to go would be an upgrade to "Enhanced" so my ATSC tuner decodes digital channels and the QAM tuner decodes unencrypted digital/HD local channels.

My new TV does not support cablecard, and I do not believe it would be worth it now anyways for Discovery HD (since I do not care for the sports HD channels).

·
Registered
94 Posts

Quote:

"enhanced" (digital) is the same as basic expanded (analog). the only difference is that an atsc/qam tuner is decoding the digital stream be it in the box or your tv. $2 price increase.

Quote:

I just called Comcast.

Apparently "Enhanced" only means that you pay $1 more per month for an external ATSC/QAM box (plus a few extra features).

Since that is in my new TV, "Basic" is just fine....

now you are gettin it!!

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Quote:

What originally confused me was that I always associated ATSC with OTA HD. I did not know that ATSC also decoded digital via land line (in addition to antenna).

It almost never does. ASTC is just about exclusive to OTA. Many years ago some cable companies did do ASTC (or more accurately 8VSB) over cable - but that has pretty much stopped now. Digital cable today is just QAM. The cable company will not give you an ATSC/QAM box - only QAM. The basic Comcast service has the analog channels plus many digital channels in the clear. Some of those digital are HD. If your TV has a QAM receiver it will work on those unencryted channels.

Ed

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Quote:

. . .the only difference is that an atsc tuner is decoding the digital stream be it in the box or your tv. . . .

At first I thought you just made a typo when you said ATSC. But apparently not - this is incorrect. Digital cable TV uses only QAM.

Ed

·
Registered
172 Posts
Does anybody know if there is a listing of channels from Comcast that are available unencrypted. My Tivo Series 3 has a ton of digital cable channels with no channel information. I'm getting two cable cards for it shortly, however, my new Samsung TV will not be using a cable card (right now) and if I can find out which channels are where, that would be great.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrazz /forum/post/0

Does anybody know if there is a listing of channels from Comcast that are available unencrypted. My Tivo Series 3 has a ton of digital cable channels with no channel information. I'm getting two cable cards for it shortly, however, my new Samsung TV will not be using a cable card (right now) and if I can find out which channels are where, that would be great.

No such list exists. The QAM channel allocations vary from Comcast service area to service area. In general, expect to get at least the local HD stations, probably some digital music, and the PPV your neighbors with a Comcast digital cable box are watching. All you can do is scan for channels and see what the tuner finds.

I would suggest asking the question in the topic for your area, found in the HDTV Locals Forum. You may find others are keeping track of what they are getting in the clear.

·
Registered
233 Posts
What if you get a TV that does not have a QAM tuner? Are there external QAM tuners that you can get? If so do you have any recomendations? I was thinking of the Pioneer 4270 or 5070 but they do not have a QAM and that may be a feature I would like but if I can get an external tuner I would be ok.

·
Registered
233 Posts

Quote:

I would buy the Samsung DTB-H260F. It has HDMI out too.

So basically If I cancel my Comcast digital package ($90) and just get basic or standard (way cheaper
) and get one of these tuners I will pick up any OTA HD channels that Comcast supplys via cable without having to set up an antenna, right? I am new to this and trying to catch on but there is so much info to absorb. The whole "tuners" thing has be perplexed. Let me see if I have this right. If I dont want a cable box from Comcast, my only HD options are setting up an antenna or buying a TV with a QAM tuner (or external like you suggested) and using basic cable. If I just plug the basic cable into a set that doesnt have a QAM I wont get HD? Even though a staion says its broadcasting in HD and I have a HDTV?

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhark /forum/post/0

How about you just make it easier for me and recomend a good one
I did try a search with QAM in the title but the results did not have title only threads

I'm not up on all the latest equipment and so I avoid making specific recommendations. But I see that it's actually difficult to find current products. Seems like the Samsung ...260 is one of the only ones around.

Ed

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.