AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting QAM running on my HTPC is the last thing i need to do. I have a WinTV HVR 1800 card and with WinTV7 installed, i can tune into the same QAM channels that my HDTV picks up with it's own tuner. Problem is WInTV7 doesn't integrate into Media Center and it doesn't seem to have a guide. It's fairly basic.

So I read about the released to OEM update, the TV update for Vista MCE. So i've downloaded that, and some playback thing and a rollup update and done a a final windows update to pull down an left overs. This allowed me to scan for QAM channels BUT it doesn't pickup the same ones that my TV and WinTV7 picks up, some are missing and some show a lock beside them that show up as non-encrypted in WinTV7. Other problems i have are that the guide shows as 'data unavailable' for all the QAM channels and if i tune into one, it playes for about 30 seconds then i get an error about some playback software missing or something like that. So this is totally dysfunctional right now.

Then i read about Hauppauge and a beta QAM tuner plug-in for MCE. So i downloaded and followed those instructions but after finding channels it doesn't seem to do squat, it doesn't change anything it seems.

Anyone have any tips on making QAM work in MCE? Or somehow integrating winTV7 into MCE ?

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Vista cant do QAM, and TV pack if you can get it working is supposedly buggy.

i never got it to work in Vista.

get the Win7 RC, it will do QAM no problem and be integrated into MCE.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
To get TV Pack installed properly, you really have to start with a clean slate. There were a bunch of previous windows updates that caused some conflicts with TV Pack. I installed TV Pack 4 or 5 times back when Win7 was leaking weekly betas and it was always rock solid. I still have it running on this machine even though the RC and RTM are available.

Here is the order I use to install the various programs needed for TV Pack:

1.Vista Setup

2.Video Card Drivers

3.TV Pack

4.PlayReady runtime

5.The 2 TV Pack Patches

6.Windows Update

7.TV Tuner card beta driver(if newer than the one Windows Update finds)

8.Haali Splitter & FFDshow tryouts or Shark007 Vista Codec

9.Run initial Media Center setup.

The one thing i was fortunate with was my TV Tuner drivers. I used the Hauppauge 2250 and they did a nice job keeping them updated and TV Pack/ClearQAM ready. I hear that was not exactly the case with some of their older models. Whatever brand you use, if the drivers haven't been updated since September 2008, TV Pack probably isn't a wise choice.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The windows 7 idea is interesting, but i don't want to change OS's to make TV work and then have it break bluray playback and streaming from my MS Home server because everything is beta drivers and unstable. Maybe in a year or so when all the drivers are solid i'd consider it.

I just re-installed vista a week ago to fix a sound problem with powerdvd9 which dind't fix my problem :lol:. My copy is an upgrade so i have to install xp first then a custom install of vista ultimate, it's pretty time consuming. So i'll save this install order for next time i have to do a re-install or have nothing better i want to waste two days doing. For now i guess i'll have to deal with needing to run WinTV7 outside of MCE.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.