AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the Slickdeals thread about the siilicondust dual hdtv tuner, and while doing some more googeling I found that the QAM tuner on my vizio xvt553sv should pick up the unscrambled SD and HD channels from time warner. I currently have basic cable like 21 channels, and cable internet from TWC. However with my 553sv I have been using OTA because I can actually get HD vs the basic cable which looks like crap. Im not interested in upgrading my cable, or paying for dish service.

Should I be able to get more channels from the basic cable with the QAM tuner? I connected the cable back to the 553sv and it didnt pick up any new channels when I ran the auto scan in antenna and cable modes, and for sure nothing in HD.

What other options do I have here?

·
Registered
897 Posts
What you see is what you get applies in your case. The Cable scan will pick up all the NTSC (analog) and clear QAM channels which are on your cable. The information button on your TV remote should display the resolution of the channel you are tuned to. If the resolution is 720 or 1080 the channel should display HD video. If they all show 480 the HD channels are blocked. Without subscribing to the extended or digital service there is no obligation for Time Warner to provide any channels beyond the 21 basic analog SD channels.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
The prevailing opinion is that cable providers are required to provide the local HD channels with a subscription to any level of TV service. However, depending on the filter in use on the line, it may be blocking the frequencies where those channels are carried. The cable provider should provide a filter that does not block the locals, but the challenge is getting the phone support monkeys to understand that.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I'm fairly certain that if you have internet service from the cable company they cannot put a trap on to block the QAM channels. So he should be receiving his locals in clear QAM unless he is in one of the few areas that have been allowed to scramble the local channels and require a box for them.

My guess is he might have an old splitter somewhere in between where his cable comes in and the TV is installed that isn't rated high enough for QAM channels.

Or he might need to check his TV's manual and make sure he is doing the correct search for digital cable channels (I know one of my parents TV has separate searches for analog cable and digital cable).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts