AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Samsung QLED 2020 Fald Displays - Local Dimming bug

Hey guys, I`ve already reported this issue in the Samsung community forum but I want to inform and discuss with as many people as possible and get feedback for the 4k models as I have the Q800T.

I do not know if this happens with the Q80T/Q90T - if someone have it please test the case below and report:

Steps to reproduce:

Background:
Picture mode: Movie / Standard / Natural (for me Movie mode)
Contrast enchancer: OFF
Local Dimming: High
Brightness: 27
Source: doesn't matter - Netflix, HBO, PC, Console

1) Pick a scene, or several scenes from a movie ( 1 mixed with some dark and bright details and 1 purely dark scene).

2.1) If you are on the mixed scene when you start increasing the Brigtness from 27 > 50 - observe the following things:
a) Highlights will get brighter as expected.
b) Dark colors like - brown, dark green, red, dark grey will beocme darker and the details will be CRUSHED.

2.2) If you are on the dark scene when you start increasing the Brightness from 27>50 - observe the following things:
a) Small highlits in the dark will get DARKER !?!?!?!??.
b) Possible black crush and loss of details.

Here is the thread in the samsung community forum:
https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/q800t-q900t-local-dimming-on-high-is-crushing-dark-colors-if/m-p/1848727#M44184

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Hey guys, I`ve already reported this issue in the Samsung community forum but I want to inform and discuss with as many people as possible and get feedback for the 4k models as I have the Q800T.

I do not know if this happens with the Q80T/Q90T - if someone have it please test the case below and report:

Steps to reproduce:

Background:
Picture mode: Movie / Standard / Natural (for me Movie mode)
Contrast enchancer: OFF
Local Dimming: High
Brightness: 27
Source: doesn't matter - Netflix, HBO, PC, Console

1) Pick a scene, or several scenes from a movie ( 1 mixed with some dark and bright details and 1 purely dark scene).

2.1) If you are on the mixed scene when you start increasing the Brigtness from 27 > 50 - observe the following things:
a) Highlights will get brighter as expected.
b) Dark colors like - brown, dark green, red, dark grey will beocme darker and the details will be CRUSHED.

2.2) If you are on the dark scene when you start increasing the Brightness from 27>50 - observe the following things:
a) Small highlits in the dark will get DARKER !?!?!?!??.
b) Possible black crush and loss of details.

Here is the thread in the samsung community forum:
https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/q800t-q900t-local-dimming-on-high-is-crushing-dark-colors-if/m-p/1848727#M44184
Not a bug, this is part of Samsung algorithm to reduce blooming and other local dimming artifacts. Its been known for the past few years. Samsung sacrifices detail for the perceived improvement of blooming. If you want a true to source display, Samsung is not it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a bug, this is part of Samsung algorithm to reduce blooming and other local dimming artifacts. Its been known for the past few years. Samsung sacrifices detail for the perceived improvement of blooming. If you want a true to source display, Samsung is not it.

2.2) is 100% bug, there is no logic the small highlights in dark scenes to get Darker as you increase the brightness

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Logic is very simple. To avoid blooming.
And again there is no logic to DECREASE brightness while you are INCREASING IT, in the worse case it should of stayed the same and not dim down the highlights, so like I said it doesn't have any logic it just works like a blind kitten in the dark.

·
Registered
483 Posts
And again there is no logic to DECREASE brightness while you are INCREASING IT,
Just take it for granted - that's exactly how Samsung local dimming works. More brightness - more light leakage and blooming. You have to play with brightness curve to reduce blooming if you are limited in number of local dimming zones

1 - 6 of 6 Posts