AVS Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
With that being said is the Nvidia capable of multiple streams areound the home? What are the best options to ensure the whole family can enjoy content without lag or considerable buffering
You keep wanting the best, but then you cut down your budget.

Build a decent unRAID server (i5+ or Ryzen 5+) and get Shields for each device. Run Plex Server as a Docker on the unRAID server and direct play to each client Shield. That's pretty good and expandable. If that cost is too high then drop down each client on the secondary TVs. That'll make the server work harder. Drop the QNAP idea.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Do u have any info/advice on components to build one? 1500 total budget. 6 Bay would be fine for now
This is not a bad start http://www.microcenter.com/product/5000409/Intel_Core_i7-8700K,_ASUS_Prime_Z370-A,_CPU-Motherboard_Bundle with one of these http://www.microcenter.com/product/444818/ONE_ATX_Mid-Tower_Computer_Case_-_Black

If you expand your bays later to a server style case the only thing you won't re-use is the case, so I would recommend skimping on the case until you get a feel for how many drives you'll end up with and the aesthetics you are going for with the case. I don't like the look of the norco, but it's hard to beat for it's utilitarian style and cable management

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
With that being said is the Nvidia capable of multiple streams areound the home? What are the best options to ensure the whole family can enjoy content without lag or considerable buffering
NVIDIA worked with Plex to tap into the Maxwell GPU for HW transcoding using NVENC. 2 simultaneous transcodes is the hard max on desktop GPUs using NVENC, but I don't know if the shield can keep up with that much disk i/o for the buffer. Haven't heard anyone stress testing it under plex

The unraid route is the best. You can throw several other useful VMs onto unraid as well, you won't regret the ~20-25W difference in power consumption at idle for a second

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
What would u build exactly. Component wise .. I'm ready to order something . Itchy fingers. I like the idea of my own build I just lack the necessary computer knowledge to feel 100 % confident

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
What would u build exactly. Component wise .. I'm ready to order something . Itchy fingers. I like the idea of my own build I just lack the necessary computer knowledge to feel 100 % confident
Every aspect of a build has areas where you can gold plate or skimp by

I would get an i7, but you could save about $100 if you went with an i5

A lot of people like this case https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-11-123-173 but a cheaper antec desktop case will give you more headroom for your CPU cooler and allow you more flexibility on motherboard sizes

Ultra speed RAM is not going to make a significant difference on your server performance. Gamers and 'enthusiasts' like to max out this spec for giggles. 16GB is more than sufficient, but people may still scoff at that idea

A fast, reliable m.2 drive will be very worthwhile, but the super high end max iops version will be a premium that won't yield you tons of real world difference. As long as you can far surpass the flop speed of your CPU during a Plex transcode that extra capacity in the m.2 drive will not go to very much use, unless you start dabbling in other things on your server, etc.

For every recommendation given there will be reasonable point of view to disagree with or agree with it. What ends up becoming a fixed requirement is exact knowledge of how you will use your server

When it comes to budget, the i7/mobo combo I linked plus the case costs roughly what you were looking to spend on the qnap. I personally think it's (i7) a lot better investment than the qnap, but many get along just fine with the qnap stuff all day. I've not ran into issues with my plex server, but if I did the CPU would be one of the last things I checked. We've done 3x transcodes at a time with ease

A fairly decent spec i7 server is going to run you about $1000 before storage drives, unraid license, etc
A budget spec i5 could run about $700 if you lower your RAM, swap M.2 for SATA, and factor in the lower CPU cost

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Here are the few unRAID setups I went through....

Server 1:
HP MicroServer N36L
AMD Athlon II NEO N36L 1.3 GHz
4 bays though you could have up to 6 drives in it
8 gigs of memory
This started to get a little to slow for things I was interested in doing with the server so I sold the server with no drives and moved onto.....

Server 2:
Operating System - Unraid 6.1.6
CPU - AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T @ 3200
CPU Fan - XIGMATEK Dark Knight II SD1283 Night Hawk Edition CPU Cooler
RAM - 8192 MB (max. installable capacity 16 GB)
Motherboard - Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. - GA-MA785GMT-UD2H
Graphics - onboard
Storage
Parity Drive Western Digital WD30EZRX
Disk 1 Western Digital WD30EZRX
Disk 2 Western Digital WD30EZRX
Disk 3 Western Digital WD20EARX
Disk 4 Western Digital WD30EZRX
Cache Drive (Holds Dockers) Intel SSD 180gb
Boot Device Sandisk Ultra Fit 16gb
Unassigned Drive (Holds VMs) Intel SSD 180gb
Optical Drives - blu ray burner

Server 3: Current server
Changed out cpu, cpu fan, ram, motherboard kept the rest.

CPU - Intel Xeon E5-2658 V3 ES QEYF 2.0Ghz 12Core 30M Equivalent to QEYP
CPU Fan - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer i32
RAM - Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)
Motherboard - ASRock X99 Extreme3 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Dockers I run-

Handbrake Convert mkv,mpf4 files
Logitech Media Server Music Server
Makemkv Rip Movies,etc
PlexMediaServer Stream to devices

VMs
Win8_DVD -Server running MCEBuddy, MediaCenter Master

21 - 28 of 28 Posts