Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello--

As I continue through the planning phase of my HT, I am now turning my attention to the lighting. Thanks to this forum and the Lutron website, I've been able to find out a great deal about the Spacer system, but I'm having a hard time finding a good in-depth source of info about the Grafik Eye. Here is what I want to do for lighting: Three dimmable zones (front of room, rear of room, sconces), as well as a fixed on/off switch for the equipment closet. The front and rear lights (recessed) would also need to be controllable from a 2nd location. From what I can tell, the entry-level Grafik Eye 2000 would cover me, but I can't figure out what other parts I would need (if any). I don't need all of the features of the GE3000, since I wouldn't have that many zones, scenes, etc. Can the Grafik eye be set up so that the lights can be controlled from a second location which housed regular dimmer switches? Based on what I've priced for the Spacer system, it would cost about $450 for the master control module, dimmer modules, accessory switches, and remote scene controller. How would the pricing be for the Grafik Eye 2000, and would it have everything that I would need? I've tried to find out as much as I can before posting this, but I just can't seem to find the info that will help me decide once and for all between these two options. Any real-world insight between the two systems would be appreciated. If you have either of these applications, please give me an idea of how you have yours set up, what the cost was, etc.

Thanks,

jj

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
LOBBY & THEATER LIGHTING

The lighting was recently upgraded to complete the original plan. The Lobby and Theater each have a Lutron Grafik Eye 3106 lighting controller. In the Lobby five zones are controlled, 3 fluorescent zones (Marquee sign, Marquee step lighting and the backlit poster frames) and 2 incandescent zones (door lights and poster spot lights). The theater has six zones of lighting, screen front, side / rear perimeter, front of mid-center, rear of mid-center, gear lighting and floor step lighting. Additional control panels are located at the top of the basement stairway and at the Theater entrance from the bar. The lighting communications is multi-directional. The keypad at the top of the stairs can access scenes set on both controllers. With a single button press up to 11 zones of lighting can be activated to preset levels. The lobby controller and the theater lighting controllers can be set to individual scenes. The theater controller can cause changes to occur in the lobby. The Theater lighting controller is also controller by IR from our Niles Intellicontrol with a remote high power emitter beaming across the room. By choice the Lobby controller does not effect the theater controller. The bar entry keypad is set to only control the Theater lighting scenes. Presently 11 zones can be set up to 16 different preset scenes. Now I just have to experiment with lighting scenes and make final choices. The Lutron system works very reliably with no glitches or lockups, once setup the operation is flawless.

One point of note the Lutron can NOT directly control fluorescent lighting. I could have purchased the Lutron fluorescent interface which would have allowed fluorescent dimming with the proper fluorescent fixtures. The interfaces were $150 each and I would have needed three. Since I was not going to use dimmed fluorescent lighting I decided on a less expensive option using 110vac coil relays driven by the Grafik Eye to interface/control/switch the fluorescent fixtures. The relays with bases were $18 each, total cost with an enclosure was about $70 vs. $450 for the three interfaces. To use the Grafik Eye with the relays use must set the Grafik Eye so that each relay is a non-dimmed zoned* they will be on or off only.

*This is a simple programming step on the Grafik Eye.

2)GE 3106 about $620 ea

2)4 scene wall keypads about $125 ea

Ya it was a lot of money but I did it in pieces and we really like the smooth coordinated feel the lighting has. I have a lot of lighting changing in two seperate rooms and with seperate controls this would have been ridiculous. With the Grafik Eye's it cool!

Jim Mc

"The Stargate"

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...&sp=1&vt=vpall

·
Registered
457 Posts
I looked at both Grafik-Eye and Spacer systems also. I decided on a 3104 and a remote NTGRX-4S scene control.

The main reason I went with the Grafik-Eye, is that it allowed me to install the main unit (4-gang box) back near the equipment closet, and put the simpler scene controller at the actual Theatre entrance. This way, I don't have to worry about curious hands accidentally changing my scene settings:) Although you can override a particular scene light settings locally, by pressing an up(bright) or down(dim) button, this affects ALL lights evenly, so you really cannot control individual lights from the scene controller.

The main unit communicates with the accessories using an RS-485 network, so the wiring between units is all low voltage, CL2 wiring. Although Lutron sells a separate IR receiver unit, I just used an emitter from my Xantech repeater system.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
I just finished my lighting last night. I went with the Lightroler Compose system. I got this from Worthington Distributors. Well it works great, took about 10 minutes to program, I have 5 zones, 2 master control panels, and IR control with a pronto or their remote(have not tried yet) all for under $500. I have a master keypad at the door and one in my equipment area. I mounted all the dimmers in the equipment area as well. The master keypad allows for 5 scenes ( they have 8 scene controllers as well) and lets you control dim level and dim rate. So far I really like this system. It allows you to mount dimmers in different locations, and gives the installer lots of flexibility. I really like this system.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I am currently researching lighting systems... I heard with Lutron, you need someone to install it for you since they don't sell to "noncertified" installers. Does anyone know what I should expect to pay for a Lutron lighting system? Right now I am checking out the X10 systems and they seem pretty cool! Especially the web based control...

I want a lightsystem to A) Control the wall scones B) The Star Ceiling C) Back Recessed Lighting (3) D) Front Recessed down lighting pointed to screen)... I would want 4 presets.

Preset 1. PRESHOW - 3 can lights at 25%, Ceiling off, Front recessed cans pointed at screen at 25%, Scones at 25%.

Preset 2. MOVIETIME - 3 can lights OFF, Ceiling on, Front Can lights OFF, Scones at 5-10%.

Preset 3. FINALE - 3 can lights in the back at 50%, Ceiling on, front recessed cans OFF, scones at 50%, Lights to the stairs/lobby on.

Preset 4. CEILING - ON

With X10 and custom keypads you can do this at a fairly reasonable price. What would the benefits be for using a Lutron system?

Thanks,

Danny

·
Premium Member
8,712 Posts
Lutron Grafik Eye's are available at electrical supply houses and many custom home theater installers...or designers (like moi). They can be installed DIY or by an electrician. Lutron's HomeWorks and HomeWorks Interactive can only be sold through trained dealers. These are rather sophisticated whole house lighting systems. RadioRA can also be installed and set up by the homeowner and are available in many locations.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
mavromatis, I got my Lutron 3104 from Dennis, for under $700, when the local lighting store quoted me at $1100 for the exact same model number. They told me that was their cost!? I don't know why the difference, since I actually do trust the owner of this store I went to, he is one of my neighbors. I got it and installed it with no problems. It worked first shot, the most difficult part was figuring out the rats nest that our builder left in the box. Since they had to hook up four switches and I only needed one set of wires going in, this install was much easier than what the builder had to go through.

As long as the lighing that you are using is standard incandecent, you won't have any problems with the standard unit. If you choose to have any flourescent or low voltage or anything special like that (I don't know what your fiber optic controller uses) you have to buy some additional modules.

Here is mine, as installed:
http://www.vonhofs.com/theater/sm_9-...rafik_Eye1.jpg
http://www.vonhofs.com/theater/sm_9-...rafik_Eye2.jpg

·
Registered
552 Posts
I use the spacer system and it works very well for my needs. if you are only controlling the lighting in one room the spacer system will work.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The grafik eye 2104 can be had for about $350.

Very similar to the 3104 except its missing the adjustable fade time and you can't link to other GEs.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I just installed a Lutron GE 3104 and except for the wiring inside the box everything went OK. I suggest that anyone doing this installation do a search for Mr. Erskine's instructions on how to do this using two boxes. It really works and it simplifies matters A LOT.

I considered the Spacer system, but for about the same price I could get the GE. The GE is a bit more flexible than the Spacer.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I second the idea of using the Lightolier Compose system. IR is built into the controller. It will cost you a lot less than the Grafix Eye and provide the same functionality. We have done a few installs with this product and have had no reports of switches or scene controllers not operating all the time, every time.

Terry

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Well what I needed to do,

4 high hats

1 set of rope lighting(for riser)

2 spot lights for the screen.

I wanted to control everything with one remote,at different times:)

I went with the spacer and some lamp dimmers,all for about 200.00,I tried to keep cost down so I decided to keep it simple,

tommy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.