AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a qsc rmx1450 on ebay. I'm really liking it--lots of watts for the price. I use it in a subwoofer application. Anyway, the fan noise occasionally bothers me. I read that there is a "resistor mod" that you can do to quiet the fan. Has anyone done this or written a tutorial on how to do this modification? Is it difficult. I basically have no electronics experience but I'm crafty and have a superior wit.

If anyone has done this mod and wants to tell me in significant detail how to do it (including what type of resistor to use and where to buy it) let me know!!!

Matt

·
Registered
271 Posts
Search the "New Amp is making me grin from ear to ear" thread. There are many, many posts on resistor mods. The process most likely will be the same for the QSC as for the Crown amps discussed.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I bought a used qsc plx 1602 to power a pair of vmps subs. I replaced the fan with a Panaflo (Panasonic) FBA08A24L . Now it is very quiet . I can't remember where I ordered it . They can be hard to find because the qsc amps use a 24volt fan instead of 12 like most amps and computers .

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
You could always be a big-shot and use a 7812, LM338, LT1086, etc. ;)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I poured through that new amp thread with a search of "resistor + mod" and there's lots of talk about it but no "resistor mod for dummies" instructions. I saw someone say they used a 5W 150ohm resistor and thylantar has given me some info via PM. I may try the fan first since that might be a better long term solution. If I find something that works well I'll be sure to do an extensive write-up of how I did it for anyone else that's curious and has a lot of heart, but not a lot of skill.

·
Registered
234 Posts
why not install a better fan?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by J
why not install a better fan?
Thats what I'm researching right now. I think that may be a better idea--less invasive if you will.

digikey has the panaflo 24V fan....

·
Registered
520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawst95
Thanks guys. I poured through that new amp thread with a search of "resistor + mod" and there's lots of talk about it but no "resistor mod for dummies" instructions. I saw someone say they used a 5W 150ohm resistor and thylantar has given me some info via PM. I may try the fan first since that might be a better long term solution. If I find something that works well I'll be sure to do an extensive write-up of how I did it for anyone else that's curious and has a lot of heart, but not a lot of skill.
Yeah, that would be great if you could do a write up. I don't really know how to use a soldering iron. So I'm not sure how I'd do any of those fan mods. A "resistor mod for dummies" would be right up my alley. :cool:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJon
Yeah, that would be great if you could do a write up. I don't really know how to use a soldering iron. So I'm not sure how I'd do any of those fan mods. A "resistor mod for dummies" would be right up my alley. :cool:
What's a soldering iron? Is that for getting the wrinkles out of dress shirts!? Stay on topic, man! :p

·
Registered
520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawst95
What's a soldering iron? Is that for getting the wrinkles out of dress shirts!? Stay on topic, man! :p
Doesn't everyone have one? It's a great, all purpose appliance. You get crisp, clean looking shirts AND crisp, clean electronics connections. I even sprang for the juicer add on.

And if you order now, we'll throw in this set of Ginsu...

OK, focus... focus...

:p

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Quote:
I don't really know how to use a soldering iron.
In that case, you might try the easiest mod of all. Just unplug the fan. Play some loud material and feel the amp's case to see if it gets hot. If it doesn't get above warm to the touch, you're good to go. Many of us don't abuse our amps like a rock band does so we can get away with no fan. The amp has thermal protection so it will shut itself down before it gets hot enough to cause damage.

Of course, I expect QSC Bob to chime in here with why this isn't recommended. :D

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by catapult
In that case, you might try the easiest mod of all. Just unplug the fan. Play some loud material and feel the amp's case to see if it gets hot. If it doesn't get above warm to the touch, you're good to go. Many of us don't abuse our amps like a rock band does so we can get away with no fan. The amp has thermal protection so it will shut itself down before it gets hot enough to cause damage.

Of course, I expect QSC Bob to chime in here with why this isn't recommended. :D
Ill chime in too lol, now i cant say for sure since I dont have this amp but from other pro amps i see that are activly cooled, the heatsink isnt directly attached to the case, ergo the tranisitors/heatsink is going to warm up much higher than the the case of the amp because air its a poor thermal conductor, so while the case maybe warm the amp could be really hot. sorta like a cpu with a poor thermal inteface to the heatsink. heatsink just warm but cpu on its way to death.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
As I recall, the QSCs have the heatsink in full contact with the top and bottom panels with screws connecting them, i.e. good engineering that uses the case as an extension of the heatsink.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, the deed is done, fella's....

I decided to buy the new panaflo fan recommended above. The model number is FBA08A24L and I got it from www.digikey.com for $8.25 + $5 handling (

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.