AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I would say the DSP on these processors is probably powerful in very knowledgeable hands, as opposed to DIRAC in the DataSat, which can automate much of the correction process. Moreover, I believe the mixed phase correction DIRAC provides is better than what even a pro can do with this unit.

That said, I'd be curious if the, I'd guess typically larger, arenas where this unit would be deployed have much need for corrections like DIRAC. Large room acoustics may be more easily controlled with more classical DSP measures; though, that's not to say they couldn't benefit from something like DIRAC, but maybe not as much as a smaller HT room?

Anyway, I think how many filters you can deploy to these units varies depending on which you get (i.e. on its DSP's capabilities) and I didn't see anything listed for this particular unit regarding that. Admittedly, I didn't look very hard, since it wouldn't be something I'd purchase.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oops, my mistake; when I saw "Trinnov" I mistakenly took it as reference to the Altitude and its oft-lauded Atmos capabilities.
I think one of the main draws to the trinnov altitude is the remapping capabilities for 3d audio, which the QSC unit has, so the comparison is legit. The QSC just can't decode the audio, which is a relatively basic function.

·
Innocent Bystander
3,210 Posts
I think one of the main draws to the trinnov altitude is the remapping capabilities for 3d audio, which the QSC unit has, so the comparison is legit. The QSC just can't decode the audio, which is a relatively basic function.
I suspect we're confusing "remapping" with "rendering". Unless the QSC unit acoustically measures each speaker to determine it's location in 3D space and then "remaps" speaker-pair response to simulate some in-between, standard speaker location, it's not remapping per se.

Rendering objects using pre-defined, actual speaker locations is what Atmos/DTS:X decoders/associated firmware do.

AFAIK, only Trinnov performs remapping. If QSC is truly remapping, can you provide a link to more info?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I suspect we're confusing "remapping" with "mapping". Unless the QSC unit acoustically measures each speaker to determine it's location in 3D space and then "remaps" speaker-pair response to simulate some in-between, standard speaker location, it's not remapping per se.

"Mapping" objects to pre-defined, actual speaker locations is what Atmos/DTS:X decoders/associated firmware do.

AFAIK, only Trinnov performs remapping. If QSC is truly remapping, can you provide a link to more info?
It does say something about being a renderer. But I think that was in relation to DTS:X -- which is odd, since that's not out yet. But, I'd agree for Dolby, that the job of the mapper (in DTS parlance would that be the renderer?) is to determine where to direct the object's sound within the speaker grid. Once that's done, I don't see how this unit could do any better without having any notion of the original object's data.

·
Innocent Bystander
3,210 Posts
It does say something about being a renderer. But I think that was in relation to DTS:X -- which is odd, since that's not out yet. But, I'd agree for Dolby, that the job of the mapper (in DTS parlance would that be the renderer?) is to determine where to direct the object's sound within the speaker grid. Once that's done, I don't see how this unit could do any better without having any notion of the original object's data.
If render is the term being commonly used, substitute that term for mapping in my comments above.

Atmos, Auro and presumably DTS:X utilize fixed (within some tolerance) speaker locations for rendering. If your speakers aren't within those tolerances due to WAF or other logistical reasons, objects won't be where they're supposed to be at any given moment. In such a case, Trinnov's proprietary remapping feature measures and determines where your speakers actually are during setup, then in use "remaps" them to locations defined by the standard being used - Atmos/Auro/DTS:X/ITU/etc. - so that objects are always rendered to the proper location. If QSC can perform this same trick, it's news to me.

http://www.trinnov.com/technologies/loudspeaker-room-optimization/remapping/

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You may be right, it might not be able to do that. But, it's basically a computer, so it might be possible with some ingenuity and manual tuning.

The designer software is freely available on the QSC website, if someone wants to take a look at it. Maybe that will give clues.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm definitely not trying to build the capability from the ground up. I'm hoping the capability is already there for someone else to implement. They do hint at it in their press releases.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My second post has a link where they mention it. The language isn't totally clear, but if it's used in theaters with many speakers, it must have some capability to remap, render, or whatever you want to call it. Doesn't it?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Q-Sys can not decode audio channels.
The Q-Sys can be most useful as a speaker processor.
Beyond the usual filters you have FIR filters with up to 1024 coefficients.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts