AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Here is the progress I got done yesterday, all three boxes and 2 front baffles, the third one and all the ports will be done today. Because I went with flares ports they are 3” wider so there is not much room between the 15” woofer and port, hopefully it will look ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Here is the progress I got done yesterday, all three boxes and 2 front baffles, the third one and all the ports will be done today. Because I went with flares ports they are 3” wider so there is not much room between the 15” woofer and port, hopefully it will look ok.

Looking great man cant wait till you get these done

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,718 Posts

How ya gonna brace those bad boys? You don’t want any resonance in the panels. And are you lining them with denim insulation?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
As per bracing I spoke to Mike and still a little unsure where I should put them. He said up the side walls and where the drivers will be, just using stick bracing. As per insulation I was going with mattress topper, any benefits to using denim?

·
Premium Member
5,644 Posts
I would run a brace down both side walls and top and bottom if window braces can’t be used. Your going to want to kill any resonance in that box. Knock on the box and see where it sounds hollow. Running a brace like I’m saying above should help strengthen it up. You can add even more to if need be. Thats were I would start though.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
What is in the oem models? I would definitely go with the denim. The topper won't absorb enough, imo

No one seems to know that answer and for some reason Jeremy won’t take his apart lol to find out for me.
(Seriously Jeremy don’t do it)

I’m going to pick up some tomorrow night

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Here is what I have finished so far and I have cut the bracing for all the boxes.

Front baffle is just dry fit so I can put all the braces in first, well I think that’s the way to do it

·
Registered
3,493 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #70

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
The ports are big enough to look inside. Flashlight and maybe one of those telescoping mirrors. If you really wanted to know what the oem setup is.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
Quick little update, I went with mattress topper that I have 1”1/4 thick, denim is not easy to get here and most of it is to thick so I opted for this after speaking to @rlhaudio which was one of the original QSC clone builders. He said the QSC only puts in 1/2” duct board and he said he noticed a big difference between mattress topper and polyfil. I would also like to that him for giving me the crossover schematics, without those I would of bypassed the passive/bi-amp switch.
I have one box almost ready to test, just waiting for my soldering iron which I have never done before so should be fun. After I hook up the XO I’ll test it out then finish the other two if everything works as planned.

Some stick bracing where the weakest points are around the woofer.

Port is a precision flared port instead of just a straight pvc or abs tube, I was told these will perform better, I have nothing to compare it to so I am guess it’s true lol.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Got all the boxes all braced and lined, the first one always takes the longest the next two I flew through.

So soldering I hear it’s really easy well let me tell you I suck at it for sure but I got my first crossover soldered to the passive bi-amp switch. So I decided to try one speaker out and yes I use the little Lepai 20w amp and all I can say it WOW!!!! I’ve never heard a speaker so crystal clear before at such low volume levels. Can’t wait to hook this up to my Emotiva XPA-11 with 300w going into them

I also realized I do not have any of the hardware (bolts) to hook the mids and tweeter to the waveguide. I will try contacting QSC to see if I can get them from them.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Got all the boxes all braced and lined, the first one always takes the longest the next two I flew through.

So soldering I hear it’s really easy well let me tell you I suck at it for sure but I got my first crossover soldered to the passive bi-amp switch. So I decided to try one speaker out and yes I use the little Lepai 20w amp and all I can say it WOW!!!! I’ve never heard a speaker so crystal clear before at such low volume levels. Can’t wait to hook this up to my Emotiva XPA-11 with 300w going into them

I also realized I do not have any of the hardware (bolts) to hook the mids and tweeter to the waveguide. I will try contacting QSC to see if I can get them from them.

Here are the part numbers you need including mounting screws.

WP-002157-00 Terminal Plate (SC-2150) 7 $55.40 $387.80
SP-000084-GP 15" Woofer (SC-2150) 6 $109.50 $657.00
CH-000574-GP HF/MF Mounting Plate (HPR-153i) 6 $1.45 $8.70
CH-000865-00 Left Horn Bracket 3 $8.65 $25.95 If your building 3 identical speakers buy 3 left horn plates. They will mount vertically to the WG
CH-000866-00 Right Horn Bracket 3 $8.65 $25.95 If your building 3 identical speakers buy 3 right horn plates. They will mount vertically to the WG
CH-000865-00 Horn Bracket Base 3 $15.55 $46.65 Buy 3 Horn bracket bases. they mount horizonal allowing you to rotate the
waveguide at different toed in or toed out angles
Also allows angle up or down .5 .10 .15, etc degrees each waveguide.
Allows for proper speaker setup in your room. Alot easier and more precise than building
out of wood.

PL-000066-GP Mid Driver Gasket 7 $1.45 $10.15 mid gasket if you need it
SC-000088-GP Mid Driver Screws 12 $1.45 $17.40 matching screws to mount mid driver
SC-000094-GP Compression Driver Screws 14 $1.45 $20.30 matching screws to mount compression driver.

Any Questions Link to right horn bracket https://parts.qsc.com/search?q=CH-000866-00 3 total for 3 speakers
***********Link to left horn bracket. https://parts.qsc.com/search?q=CH-000865-00 3 total for 3 speakers.
************Link to horn bracket base https://parts.qsc.com/search?q=CH-000865-00 1 for each speaker

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Reactions: Jk7.2 and Mahuzz13
61 - 80 of 133 Posts