AVS Forum banner

121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Thanks. I'll give it try.

If I didn’t get such a a screaming deal I would of gone with the Titans for sure. For convenience sake I would contact @Erich H from DIYSG and you will be all set with everything you need. If you don’t have them side by side I don’t think you would be able to tell the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
If I didn’t get such a a screaming deal I would of gone with the Titans for sure. For convenience sake I would contact @Erich H from DIYSG and you will be all set with everything you need. If you don’t have them side by side I don’t think you would be able to tell the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I second this to buy the time everything gets purchased and shipped the cost might not have any savings. Plus on my previous comment of me feeling like the high end is better this could 100 percent be my room which is acoustically treated and the 2150s are in a proper baffle wall. Plus I haven't heard both in the same room so it could just be me favoring my speakers. It will be nice to hear both together at the g2g next month.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
756 Posts
If anybody is interested ...

I've got the waveguides, drivers (not the big 15s) and crossovers for (I think for 5??) QSC 2150s.

I would have to look to know for sure what I have. Message me if you are looking for these items.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Hi Guys

Nice project !

I have a quick question :

Have you guys any experience with baffle contra no bafflewall ? Will i gain any thing, or just naah ?

This is my setup:

Nice set up

I am not sure what you mean "baffle contra", please explain a little more.

I am doing something very similar to you having 4 sub cabinets 2 on either side of the centre, I will be building a partial baffle wall over the QSCs and then putting the similar product to Linacoustics on the wall and also on to the sub cabinets. I will also be hanging batt insulation behind the baffle wall.

I have been told if is night and day difference without and with a baffle wall with the QSCs so looking at your setup you need to do something especially with the very hard surface behind your speakers.

Not sure if that helps.

Duane

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
Hi Guys

Nice project !

Have you guys any experience with baffle contra no bafflewall ? Will i gain any thing, or just naah ?

This is my setup:

Nice setup. You will benefit from at least treating that front wall. Especially if it’s actually brick, like it looks. 2 layers of duct liner insulation should help. You want a dead front wall to help with speaker boundary interference and any sound reflections behind the screen. A baffle wall has several benefits. It eliminates speaker boundary interference, because sound from the speaker can only travel foreword, not backwards towards the front wall, where it bounces off and creates cancellations, when that sound returns forward and interacts with sound coming out of that speaker. It also reinforces the low frequencies 6db or so. At least that what I’ve read. Panning sounds between LCR is also improved. This is of course if it’s designed and implemented correctly.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Nice set up

I am doing something very similar to you having 4 sub cabinets 2 on either side of the centre, I will be building a partial baffle wall over the QSCs and then putting the similar product to Linacoustics on the wall and also on to the sub cabinets. I will also be hanging batt insulation behind the baffle wall.

I have been told if is night and day difference without and with a baffle wall with the QSCs so looking at your setup you need to do something especially with the very hard surface behind your speakers.

Not sure if that helps.

Duane

The 30" LF cabinet width will have a baffle step frequency of 152 hz, based on this calculator: http://www.mh-audio.nl/bdl.asp#calc

Between 152 hz and the crossover frequency of 500 hz, sound will be radiated in 180 degrees, below 152 hz, the sound will wrap around the baffle, though the wall is 'acoustically close' at those frequencies, since the cabinet depth is 14.5 inches. The sound will be re-radiated from the wall.

The vertical baffle step frequency of the LF cabinet should be 119 hz, though this will be lowered somewhat by the horn assembly sitting on top of the LF cabinet. The horn assembly is narrower than the LF cabinet, so some sound will wrap around the top of the LF cabinet, and some will continue upwards to the top of the horn.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Hi Guys

Nice project !

This is my setup:

I'm the original owner of the 2150s that hd0823 now owns.

If you're asking the difference in a baffle wall and without a baffle wall here ya go. The 2150 is designed with no baffle step so it's meant to be in a baffle wall. I ran them for a few months testing them out in two channel while the house/theater was built. The bass sucked, just pathetic really. I was disappointed but everything else was insane, imaging and detail were excellent.

Fast forward to the day I slapped them in a baffle wall with no sub. No other speakers in the room. I ran them full range and hooked up to a Marantz 7009 and played a dobly atmos demo through a bluray player. They went from weaklings to outright beasts that shook the entire room during bass scenes and made me wonder if I even needed subs. Midbass .. heck all bass was unreal.

So with the 2150s if you're asking do you need a baffle wall.. absolutely it is a must for them to perform as intended.

This photo was taken the same day.

Also if you wanna better seat to set response put the top sub on the other side of the center.. preferably at the 1/4 and 3/4 spots along the front wall. If you're gonna have dual subs may as well benefit from them.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nice set up

Not sure if that helps.

Duane

Hello

Thanks for the reply

I meant building a wall or not :)

I used to have the wall behind the 2150's covered in a lot of insulation, but i removed it since it was over absorbing the dynamics. Im gonna try putting some molton and some acoustic plates on the brickwall.

Thanks again

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm the original owner of the 2150s that hd0823 now owns.

If you're asking the difference in a baffle wall and without a baffle wall here ya go. The 2150 is designed with no baffle step so it's meant to be in a baffle wall. I ran them for a few months testing them out in two channel while the house/theater was built. The bass sucked, just pathetic really. I was disappointed but everything else was insane, imaging and detail were excellent.

Fast forward to the day I slapped them in a baffle wall with no sub. No other speakers in the room. I ran them full range and hooked up to a Marantz 7009 and played a dobly atmos demo through a bluray player. They went from weaklings to outright beasts that shook the entire room during bass scenes and made me wonder if I even needed subs. Midbass .. heck all bass was unreal.

So with the 2150s if you're asking do you need a baffle wall.. absolutely it is a must for them to perform as intended.

This photo was taken the same day.

Also if you wanna better seat to set response put the top sub on the other side of the center.. preferably at the 1/4 and 3/4 spots along the front wall. If you're gonna have dual subs may as well benefit from them.

Have you tried running both Bi-Amp and passive x-over ?

I am atm using 2 different amps in a Bi-Amp setup, and gonna try doing a passive x-over setup on them.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Have you tried running both Bi-Amp and passive x-over ?

I am atm using 2 different amps in a Bi-Amp setup, and gonna try doing a passive x-over setup on them.
They're so sensitive you'd gain nothing in bi amp. The baffle wall is like adding 6db or more of free butt kicking chest slamming mid bass torture.. all for $100 in materials. They also have a crossover around 500hz so it's below the vocals and probably no audible differences could be heard. The mid and CD are not biampable. only the top section and bass bin.

Of course I don't own them anymore as they now are in Jeremy's awesome room!

121 - 133 of 133 Posts