AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just bought a pair of Quad 22L's for my Ht. I never had a chance to listen to the quads but i came across a good deal, and the reviews seem to be great. My questions are:

What do you guys think of the Quad 22L's?

How do you think they will work for HT?

What would be a good center?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have heard from people with personal expirence that the l-center is not up to par when it comes to perforance. I am actually pretty set against it. Does anyone else have any recomendations?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Congrats on landing a good deal. I auditioned them over a year ago, and TBH was underwhelmed. I had the dealer bring em out to A/B them against BW 7xx series, because 1) I knew the 22Ls were on TAS' best of '06 list 2) I wanted to see if more money did get more performance in this one case. Well, the BWs blew em away on detail alone, IMO. I hardly got to play more than a disc or two of the 6+ I was carrying around during auditions.

One issue w/ the 22Ls are the much lower tweeter height than typical. Due to the more modest size of the tower. OTOH, they have attractive finishes.

So, my opinion is that they are pleasant to listen to, but may be a bit masked in detail for me. But I don't really know why Im sharing, or why you are asking NOW, since YOU bought them already, and only YOUR opinion matters. IF you said you got them for $500, then I can't or shouldn't be comparing them to multi thousand $ speakers anyways. HF and please enjoy.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicyj /forum/post/14226360

I have heard from people with personal expirence that the l-center is not up to par when it comes to perforance. I am actually pretty set against it. Does anyone else have any recomendations?

The L-Centre is the ONLY speaker that is timbre matched to your mains. If you are dead set against using it as a center, than maybe it's best to look around for another set of HT speakers.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostenmeat /forum/post/14226573

IF you said you got them for $500, then I can't or shouldn't be comparing them to multi thousand $ speakers anyways.

I hope you mean each? Where would you expect to find a pair of 22L's for $500?

Also, there's been some talk of some Wharfdale center's closely matching the Quad L line.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwien /forum/post/14226689

The L-Centre is the ONLY speaker that is timbre matched to your mains. If you are dead set against using it as a center, than maybe it's best to look around for another set of HT speakers.

I agree with Iwien - I have been using Quad 22Ls for HT for over a year, including the L-Centre. They are a perfect match - I think it would be a mistake not to use the L-Centre.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinnv /forum/post/14230053

I agree with Iwien - I have been using Quad 22Ls for HT for over a year, including the L-Centre. They are a perfect match - I think it would be a mistake not to use the L-Centre.

Yup. Getting a "better center" that is not timbre matched is counter-productive. When the audio is panned from left to center to right, you want all three speakers to sound the same. If, by getting a "better center" does not allow this to happen, than a "better" center will make your total system sound worse. Hope that makes sense.

Again, if you are dead set against using the matching center, than I would suggest getting other mains whose matching center you DO like.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I read in a recent audio mag that Quads are very hard to match and set for HT. This is coming from the distributor themselves. Anyway, did you get the L2 or the original L series?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts