AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a pair of bookshelves. The QUAD 11L is one of them.

Have y'all heard this speaker and, if so, what are your opinions? How do they compare to say KEF, B&W, and other British makes?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does this lack of response mean NO ONE has heard these speakers? :confused:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking of getting these for my bedroom, which is quite small. Also, the speakers will be placed almost against the wall (probably 3"- 4" from it). One review I read said that the 12L should NOT be placed that close to the back wall and that, in such an instance, the 11L is a better performer.

Any truth to that? Should I go for the 12L even in a small room almost placing against a wall?

·
Registered
300 Posts
You could try using the idea Dynaudio and B&W use to mention just two Companies, whereby they supply and use foam plugs (bungs) for the rear reflex ports. This will help reshape your bass response when the speakers are in such close proximity to a wall. If Quad do not supply these foam plugs, many other speaker Manufacturers do in their Parts & Service Depts. It may also be wise to try and audition the speakers in your own home first, before signing on the dotted line. :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandarf
For the ghetto speaker listeners, a pair of old dirty socks can also do the job of port plugs :)
LOL, or a pair of my Mother-in-Law's old Bloomers at a pinch. :D :D :eek:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
good ideas!

If the room is indeed that tiny, I'd go with the 11L's. Me personally, I'd go with the 12L's and try the foam plug idea. That way, they're more adaptable if you ever move them to a larger room.

Ran

ps- I went with 12L ACTIVES, which beat the poop out of the 12L consumer version. You have to appreciate flat response speakers in order to enjoy them though.

·
Registered
257 Posts
so i would opt for the 12L. I am thinking of the 22L among other speakers right now. have you listened to any. there are some on audiogon. at good prices.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, the 12L generally gets better reviews mostly because their bass performance is better. However, some say that the clarity of vocals and most instruments is better on the 11L PRECISELY because it is slightly lacking in the bass department.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have listened to the 11L's . I liked them a lot and they are attractively priced.

That said I like Spendors even more and bought them instead despite the higher price. If the port on the back of the quads is problematic for placing next to a wall , spendor makes several different non-ported models.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
A couple of years ago when looking for small speakers I listened to many "audiophile" types including some Quads. I ending up getting some KRK ST-6s at Guitar Center for $200 the pair.

IMO the KRKs sound at least as good as any of the audiophile small speakers I heard and are much cheaper. I think buying any small speakers more expensive than the KRKs is probably a waste of money.

The only Quads I'd consider are old ESL 57s or ESL 63s.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.