AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking out the quadraphonicquad.com forums just now and saw that Rhino will be offering the first Chicago album (CTA) in quad as an audio dts DVD - unfortunately it doesn't appear to be DVD-Audio, but this is better than no release at all. Here is a link to the Rhino page:

http://www.rhino.com/shop/product/ch...d-quadraphonic

Very cool, I hope this is start of future official quad releases!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Everyone...if you are at all interested in popular music surround...please support this release. At the big risk of getting ahead of myself, I'm convinced Rhino is testing the market on this one. Their Rhino Handmade initiative sounds like the perfect place to put out (at least) retired or never-released Quad mixes.

The link Sherbona posted has samples of the front and back channels individually of all tracks! To hear a sample of each channel individually, go here: http://rhino.com/article/what-quad

I am so excited about this!

3/23/2010

Josh

·
Registered
373 Posts
YES. If you are a surround sound fan, and even like a tiny bit of the first Chicago album, please show your support and buy this disc. It will show WB that there is a market out there for surround titles. If they get a good response on this new release, maybe they will not only do more, but maybe they'll re-offer the DVD-A titles that are commanding such huge bucks on eBay.

This is the most shocking surround music development I've heard in YEARS!

Those who may scoff at the $30 selling price, remember this is a Rhino Handmade release of a DOUBLE LP, it's an original 4.0 quad release and it's available to everyone. No eBay bidding, no running around searching and paying rip-off prices. You can even get free shipping by joining their mailing list, waiting for the welcome email which will offer free shipping on your first order, then ordering the disc.

Think about it, go for it. Show your support for an amazing release.

This is just plain STUNNING!!!!!

·
Registered
213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblio98 /forum/post/18238584

Those who may scoff at the $30 selling price, remember this is a Rhino Handmade release of a DOUBLE LP, it's an original 4.0 quad release and it's available to everyone. No eBay bidding, no running around searching and paying rip-off prices.

You are absolutely correct. Many of us have realized that if we were ever to see mainstream releases again, we had to admit that this was a niche market that required niche/boutique/audiophile prices in order for the labels to have any hope of making a profit. I see no problem with Rhino's pricing...just look at how much audiophile vinyl goes for. CTA is a classic album that, like the rest of Chicago's catalog, is made for surround sound.

Now where's that Chicago X DVD-A surround mix that never saw the light of day Rhino!?

Beginnings!?...I hope so!

Josh

·
Registered
16,945 Posts
the whole world is watching

·
Registered
632 Posts
You guys are a bad influence. Put in an order and to get free shipping also picked up CDs from Jan & Dean and Manassas. Look forward to checking it out, although I'd likely have preferred a DVD-A or SACD release, but better to have something in Quad than nothing at all...

·
Registered
577 Posts
Placed my order today, as well. Yeah, $30 + shipping is a bit steep, but as Oblio98 pointed out, it's a double disk. Plus, make no mistake, this is one of the best (if not the best) Chicago releases.

Here's to more quad releases!!!

South California Purples here we come!

·
Registered
10,263 Posts
This is a must have!!

I'm in for the order. CTA was the 1st and next to II, the best. In my college days, Southern CA Purples & I'm a Man were played quite frequently

·
Registered
70 Posts
Tell me I'm not dreaming. I was just thinking the other night how great it would be to hear "Introduction" in surround, and now here it is!

AR

·
Registered
10,263 Posts
I placed my pre-order.

I hope this gets a lot of orders from us surround music fans & quaddies! We need to show our support for these classic quad titles. Just like the King Crimson releases, etc. the more business we provide, hopefully the more incentive they will have to dig in the vault & give us more.

I'd love to see titles like all the SQ Santana's, Pink Floyd WYWH, QS Steely Dans, CD4 Jefferson Airplane's put out. That was the promise of SACD/DVD-A which mostly went un-realized.

Classics like Genesis, Moody Blues, Doors show that's there's still interest for multichannel rock, not just jazz & classical on SACD.

·
Registered
12,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieheels /forum/post/18244437

Just placed my order. The other Rhino Chicago surround mixes are truly astounding. Hope this one lives up to that standard.

Completely different animal. Chicago II and V were remixed to contemporary 5.1 standards, whereas this one is the original Quad mix--with a distinctly different use of the channels. Discrete music pushes the need for matching speakers all around, but these Quad mixes take that to yet another level with entire vocal and horn tracks only in the rear.

Quad wanted 4 identical speakers in 4 corners. Our systems have migrated to a different paradigm, sometimes very different if dipoles are involved. I'll be curious to see how folks react to these mixes on different systems. I agree it would have been nice to include a hi rez 2-ch mix as well.

Oh, I'm ordering the disc--big time!

·
Registered
981 Posts
I was just asking myself why I didn't own even the standard cd of this album. Was just about to start looking for it but I'm ordering the quad mix instead.

I don't know much about Quad from the early '70's. How many albums were mixed that way? Any good quad websites to browse around in?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene c353 /forum/post/18252825

I was just asking myself why I didn't own even the standard cd of this album. Was just about to start looking for it but I'm ordering the quad mix instead.

I don't know much about Quad from the early '70's. How many albums were mixed that way? Any good quad websites to browse around in?

Great question. I recommend the quadraphonicquad.com site as a good place to start:

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/content.php

Once you go to the above link, you'll see "Quadraphonic Web Links" on the right which includes a link called "Quadraphonic Discography" (and some other good links). Also I recommend clicking on "Quadraphonics" on the left and then scrolling down to "Beginner's Guide to Quad".

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
this is so sweet...

Silly question, will this handmade release be exclusive to the Rhino site? I see no indication of that, but I also don't see any links from the usual suspects...

·
Registered
30,891 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler /forum/post/18251587

these Quad mixes take that to yet another level with entire vocal and horn tracks only in the rear

One good thing is that the Rhino site lets you preview the front and back channels of the quad mix for each song. On some of the songs, the surrounds are as active as the fronts. Will have to configure my pre-pro so that the surround channels come out of my back speakers rather than the side speakers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It is great that Rhino is releasing this album. Hopefully there will be many more. However, the only shipping option to Canada (and I am assuming everywhere else outside the US) is UPS and the price is over $20. That brings the total price to $50+. Rhino should provide more shipping options otherwise these kind of releases are too steep in price. Too bad.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Last I looked, amazon didn't have it listed yet, but I would assume that other stores will carry it. I don't believe it's exclusive to Rhino. So I would check with amazon.ca closer to ship date.

·
Registered
10,263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani /forum/post/18254438

...Will have to configure my pre-pro so that the surround channels come out of my back speakers rather than the side speakers.

Yes you will

We old quadraphiles are already there

For example, I have 2 pairs of surrounds, one near the sides at ~100 deg. and one toward the rear corners. My receiver allows you to to switch between them depending on movies or multichannel music. And I do not use the rear backs (PLIIx's 6&7) for quad reproduction but if yours are not too close together you should do great.

·
Registered
30,891 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 /forum/post/18256068

My receiver allows you to to switch between them depending on movies or multichannel music.

Not as convenient as your receiver, but my pre-pro allows me to turn off the side speakers or rear speakers (both pairs get the same content when no processing is turned on). So the "back channels", as Rhino calls them, come from behind me instead of the sides. Since my backs are spread out, it sounds pretty good. Not like sitting in the middle of a giant X where the four speakers are all exactly 90 degrees apart, but I can still hear stereo separation behind me.
Quote:
I do not use the rear backs (PLIIx's 6&7) for quad reproduction but if yours are not too close together you should do great.

I've tried using surround processing (LOGIC7 and PLIIx), with the hopes that four surrounds would give greater envelopment. But on the few quad mixes that I've tried, there is so little correlated/common information in the two surround channels that hardly any surround-back information gets extracted, rendering the rear speakers almost useless. The DSOTM quad mix has a few moments where sounds go to the back speakers and move along the back wall. But things like that are more rare than common. One thing that is useful about L7 processing is that it will extract a centre channel, even from multi-channel sources.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts