AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a new Sharp 70" 733. This unit does not have Quad Pixel Plus. The picture is beautiful and I'm coming off of a Samsung 650 TOC series which was no slouch. The 733's 240 Aquamotion doesn't seem to do anything beyond the built-in 120 Hz. I'm wondering what I'm missing...(if anything)...without the Quad Pixel Plus feature. Is it just more processing to smudge things together on the screen, or is there a positive difference with it's on?

I fooled around with a 732 at Sears before I got the 733 and never got to toggle the feature on and off. I really like the 733 and can't really see how much more this processing would add. Any advice is greatly appreciated....

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
You are not missing anything. No one has detected anything meaningful between any of the 732, 733 and 734 series. Certainly not enough to care about once you have it in your home. Enjoy the new TV.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rogo,

It's kind of what I figured.....

I went back to sears just to cure my curiosity. I must have toggled on/off Quad Pixel Plus for 20 minutes and didn't see the radical difference that Sharp installed in the 732/34/35 demos. In that demo they showed a static picture of houses and roof tops, but you can't manipulate the control....this is a pre-set picture. The side with Quad on was razor sharp while the "off" comparison was a hair softer looking. When indeed the opposite of this is actually true. As I flicked back and forth while a HD signal was feeding into the TV the Quad "on" created the slightly softer look, while with it off sharper...!?!? And if you start fiddling with the noise control settings and sharpness control you can pretty much achieve a level, with the Quad off, that's really hard to separate.

If anything...the Quad Pixel Plus circuit reminds me of a level of noise reduction somewhere between off and low.....

I'm not sure how it acts on 1080P Blu-Ray. I see no need for "higher definition" and "jagged line smoothing" when watching a Blu-Ray disc, and furthermore if you have a really good blu-ray player with mosquito noise and block noise reduction, you can have your picture as smooth as glass....!
Go, go,go....LG BD-390...!!!!

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
The quad pixel plus feature supposedly enables control of the individual colored sub-pixels to create a less jagged (possibly perceived as smoother, more film-like, or just plain softer, depending on your personal priorities) picture.

If you walk around Sears you'll find several tvs in demo mode demonstrating with split screens the various enhancements on/off. Of course all these demos greatly exaggerate the differences--they're just not that obvious in real life.

I've had any number of tvs with various enhancement features like noise reduction and such and found that with good sources they usually make the picture worse. In some cases they seemed to work opposite to what was intended, and in others I couldn't see any difference at all so left them off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Steve.........

What a trade-off... 732= Quad Pixel Plus....no Aquomotion 240. 733= No Quad Pixel Plus.....Add Aquomotion 240.....??? Another marketing triumph....!!! But Sam's Club brought me to my knees for $2,500.with 1 yr. Sharp warranty + 3 more yrs. ext. warranty no cost + 18mos. no interest...I had to do it...

I'm noticing that when using the Aquomotion "Almost 240", fluttering of the LED's causes dimming with HDTV. Although on HDMI feeds, with 240 "on" I cannot notice any dimming effect at all. I put the set through its paces with with the 240 "on" and a 1080P upconvert standard dvd, Transformers 2, desert fight scene (a whole lot of motion) and I must say the set held everything together right on the money...no blur at all...

Getting back to the gimmicks.....My Samsung 650TOC is pretty near unwatchable when using the Highest 120hz motion settings....It gets beyond looking "live". It reminds me of taking videos with my old VHS Camcorder.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
733 = warehouse club pricing + warehouse club warranty boost = win.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So if I am looking at a 733 from BJ's for $100 less than a 734 from BrandsMart I wouldnt see much difference other than the price? I really hope this is the cas because the Qud Pixel Plus is the only difference between the 2 sets! Please help!

·
Registered
188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jserrent /forum/post/20982177

Thanks Steve.........

What a trade-off... 732= Quad Pixel Plus....no Aquomotion 240. 733= No Quad Pixel Plus.....Add Aquomotion 240.....??? Another marketing triumph....!!! But Sam's Club brought me to my knees for $2,500.with 1 yr. Sharp warranty + 3 more yrs. ext. warranty no cost + 18mos. no interest...I had to do it...

I'm noticing that when using the Aquomotion "Almost 240", fluttering of the LED's causes dimming with HDTV. Although on HDMI feeds, with 240 "on" I cannot notice any dimming effect at all. I put the set through its paces with with the 240 "on" and a 1080P upconvert standard dvd, Transformers 2, desert fight scene (a whole lot of motion) and I must say the set held everything together right on the money...no blur at all...

Getting back to the gimmicks.....My Samsung 650TOC is pretty near unwatchable when using the Highest 120hz motion settings....It gets beyond looking "live". It reminds me of taking videos with my old VHS Camcorder.

How did you get the three year extended warranty?

I'm torn between the 632, 732, 733, 734, and 735. Basically ranging in price from 2k to 3k.

632 is not receiving the ravest of reviews, and I don't want motion issues with football games.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsullivan3 /forum/post/21250201

How did you get the three year extended warranty?

I'm torn between the 632, 732, 733, 734, and 735. Basically ranging in price from 2k to 3k.

632 is not receiving the ravest of reviews, and I don't want motion issues with football games.

You buy it along with the TV, it's usually through square trade.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jserrent /forum/post/20982177

Thanks Steve.........

Excellent post. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was wondering the same thing w the 60" Lc-60LE830U vs the 831U. It seem to me that the difference is to be able to keep different big box stores w diffrent model numbers to avoid model comparison shopping. The 831 is a Best Buy exclusive. Hmmm...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts