AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz  /t/1465660/quad-tc-lms-18-ultra-build/30#post_23230738

Should be here tomorrow. I think I'm gonna go to bed early tonight, so that they get here 8 hours faster... just like Christmas. LOL

Hah, you sound like me. I keep telling myself it should be in soon, but it always takes a bit longer, ugh!

I've been waiting for my receiver back from warranty for a couple weeks now and it's killing me..

·
Registered
11,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Here's a picture. These 5 arrived safely.

Now I just have to assemble these two and break in the woofers with some freeair sinewaves. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
11,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
All 4 VC's work. Brought it up to 3/4 excursion and everything checks out on those two subs.

I should have one of the boxes up and running within the next few hours.

Man those cones are stiff, in freeair they are just as stiff as my 2 yr old LMS in a sealed box!

Gonna take forever to break them in!

·
Registered
11,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Here's a vid of the freeair break-in process (20hz).

Just running one coil, 2-ohms on iTech 8000 power.

·
Registered
11,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Got 2 LMS's going now. Dual 1-ohm 10hz.

I haven't added polyfill to the new sub yet and I haven't counter sunk the cone yet, I'll be doing that tomorrow; but it's up and running at least.

·
Registered
325 Posts
What kind of video camera is that? That's the best audio I've heard so far of an LMS at speed from a hand held camera.

It even picked up the 10Hz.

·
Registered
11,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
It's a Sanyo FH1A, the only thing I don't like about it is its inability to focus. Other than that I have no complaints about the camera.

Those are some huge a$$ boxes Nightlord.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINEARX  /t/1465660/quad-tc-lms-18-ultra-build/30#post_23234950

Love that milk carton stand for the center channel speaker.

It's not for milk cartons, it's for soda bottles.

Don't think he'll keep it once all the acoustic treatments are in place... he just had the front wall down to build a new with concrete blocks, which resulted in that he could turn the power amps down by 50% or more.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz  /t/1465660/quad-tc-lms-18-ultra-build/30#post_23234955

Those are some huge a$$ boxes Nightlord.

Note: it's not my setup.

Yes, they're big. Don't know what Q he aimed for. He needs a friend over every time they have to go up or down.

Edit: Have quick-read the build thread. They are 240 liters in inner volume. 3 feet 4 inches high. ( So they're twice as big as mine, but I have twice as many. But 8 NHT1259 doesn't equal 4 LMS... )

·
Registered
1,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic  /t/1465660/quad-tc-lms-18-ultra-build/30#post_23234990

What does counter sink the cones mean Bass? Not going to draw my own conclusions.
I'm guessing he means to add another front baffle. Or in my case 2.

Like:

So that driver is mounted flush mounted, or in my case "sunk" in.

Reactions: Kev Greenhalgh

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
So you were 33% of my displacement before the broken driver. How far have you caught up or have you passed me now that have the extreme xmax times three added now? 140bd+ n room is fun man. Bet your getting close if not there.

I don't know why when you post about running

·
Registered
4,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51  /t/1465660/quad-tc-lms-18-ultra-build/30#post_23235011

I'm guessing he means to add another front baffle. Or in my case 2.

Like:

So that driver is mounted flush mounted, or in my case "sunk" in.

That's what I was leaning towards in my thoughts but wasn't sure. It def looks better and protects the driver a tad more. I use triple baffles on mine and the thought of adding more kept me from doing it. Linacoustic added enough that they look flush lol.

·
Registered
11,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord  /t/1465660/quad-tc-lms-18-ultra-build/30#post_23235009

Note: it's not my setup.

Yes, they're big. Don't know what Q he aimed for. He needs a friend over every time they have to go up or down.

Edit: Have quick-read the build thread. They are 240 liters in inner volume. 3 feet 4 inches high. ( So they're twice as big as mine, but I have twice as many. But 8 NHT1259 doesn't equal 4 LMS... )

240ltr is only ~8.5cubes, but those boxes are at least 11cubes in size by my math. My boxes are 5.75cubes.

·
Registered
11,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic  /t/1465660/quad-tc-lms-18-ultra-build/30#post_23235022

Just seeing you run these low loads really brings back good memories. I know you like the amps but is there anything you wish they did better? I haven't looked into many sub amps for HT but yours are the only high power ones I know that are stable that low that I've looked at.

I wish they wouldn't start rolling off 10hz and have a DSP below 20hz; they also get very hot and are loud (note: it gets very hot even with dual 8-ohm or idling).

and I wish they had double the peak-power and long-term power, just because...

41 - 60 of 131 Posts