AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How good of a scaler is the Quadscan elite vs a HTPC. I know a lot of you HTPC owners swear by it, but I would be running a DVD player, Satelite and Cable TV via Svideo thru the Quadscan. I have a HTPC I have not yet hooked up and I'm currently using a DVDO Pro line doubler. I have a BG 1200. I like the ease of the DVDO currently, and don't like the idea of the HTPC not beind as easy to use as my current DVD player. Suggestions? Comments? Opinions? thanks...Steve.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi,

I just upgraded from my BG800 to a BG1200 and I'm still using my RCVDS 800 switcher. The problem is the Color, Tint and Sharpness controls don't work either on the remote, the onboard remote or the RCVDS. Is this switcher not fully compatable with the BG1200 or do I have a problem with a board in the BG1200? I bought it broken and replaced the RGB board that was bad. But some other strange things are some bowed convergence lines in the upper left corner, and in the FOCUS menu, the BLUE focus does not show the text. So you don't know what the actual settings are for each focus area. The focus works in each area, just no text to see the settings. Any ideas on a possible board that is bad? Other than that, the picture is fantastic. Thanks...Steve.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Steve,

The quadscan is a good low end scaler. But you cannot compare it to a HTPC as the pricture quality of the HTPC w/ a Radeon card is vastly superior to the quadscan. We have set up both with G-70's and you can see the difference. But the quadscan in transparent whereas the HTPC does require user interface.

On your bowd lines have you deleted all the memories in the 1200 and done a setup from scratch?? Sometimes this helps clear up the sides and corner issues.

Terry

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Terry, I will try to delete all of the Memory blocks.

What about the missing menu on the BLUE focus grid and the lack of control of COLOR, TINT and SHARPNESS from the remote, Onboard remote and switcher controls. Any idea if I have a bad board and which one it may be? Luckily I have another BG1200 on its way so I can swap boards and locate the problem. I was just wondering if It was an issue with the RCVDS 800 not being fully compatible with the BG1200. Thanks...Steve.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Ah Steve,

You must have one the 1200 parts machine that was in TX and was on ebay this weekend?? They are good guys out there. I bought a few parts machines from them before.

I don't know why your Focus menus. Try reseating all your boards. I have seen things like this from badly seated boards.

If you are using RGB input, you won't have tint, color or sharpness control on the projector. External to the projector, I don't know. Never fooled with a RCVDS switcher. I'm looking for a high end switcher (high bandwidth) if you jnow where there is one.

Did you see what I was talking about in the note of that last shipment I made to you. Strange. Is it running out of memory.

Terry

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Terry,

Yeah, I have a BG1200 and bought that parts machine from TX. I will try to reseat the boards, that makes sense. Also, the fact that I'm not supposed to have tint, color or sharpness on those inputs explains what I thought was an incompatability problem with the RCVDS 800. Other than that, it works fine. As far as higher end switchers, what about the RCVDS 5? To use it on another type projector, you could buy that MOD that guy is selling on ebay. As far as the remote, I haven't had time to play with it. I sold my BG 800 and now don't have that ability on my BG 1200 to test it. I did however just get another BG800 working and will try to play with the remote this weekend on it. Send me a personal message at [email protected]m and I will get your address to ship you another remote back. Also, I will be needing some various boards including a powersupply for a BG800 and was wondering if you had any boards.. Thanks...Steve.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.