AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm about to pull the trigger on a Quadscan. I was wondering if I should also pick up a Panny RP56 since its getting such great reviews. If I use the Quadscan as a line tripler to my Barco 1208 would I benefit from the Sage chip in the RP56?

I assume that I'd bypass the Sage if I were to use the Quads scaler resolutions but would I be just enhancing the Sage if I used the line trippling mode? I'm kind of lost on which processor gets used in what mode.

Also what would you recommend as a matching DVD player?

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
The QS elite or pro only takes 480i in. It outputs p only. You can use it as a switcher to bypass something other than 480i (like 1080i to 1080i) but thats it. The progressive outputs on a DVD player are irrelevant. The quality of the i out of the DVD player is the only issue. Thus it makes no difference what progressive chip the player has.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was afraid of that. Then what would be a good interlaced out DVD player. After browsing the Shootout results I'm glad I have a Sony 7000 but unfortunately it doesn't have DTS.

Any recomendations for a DTS out interlaced DVD player with no chroma bug and a decent audio portion?

Andy

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Andy. Post this question on the DVD hardware threads site. Do a search on that thread site also. I myself use a Denon DVD3300 because it meets those criterion. There are other good players which meet your criterion.

·
Registered
982 Posts
AndyN,

I also have a QS Pro and a Barco 1208, so I know the great picture you are getting with that combination. I run mine in XGA mode for anamorphic DVD's and D-ILA mode for 4x3 sources on my 4x3 120" screen. Recently, I bought a Princeton Graphics 32" monitor. It's capabilities are somewhat limited, but it can do 1080i. In terms of computer resolutions, it can do 800x600, but not 1024x768. I have been playing around with the QS and the PG monitor and get incredible results. This monitor is only capable of the double, VGA and SVGA modes of the QS. In regards to my best source - component DVD, SVGA, I get a picture as good as HiDef 1080i. It is just stunning! I realize the monitor can't resolve the detail like the Barco can, but I offer this example as proof that the QS is also very good at the lower resolutions and should do the Panny justice.

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.