Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a question for those who are more adept with the Quadscan scalers.

First of all I have an NEC xg75 crt projector and a Stewart screen with 4x3 aspect ratio.

Curt palme sold and set up the projector for me. He gives excellent service. Curt set up the projector for my 4x3 screen.

I am using S-video from my Sony Dvp-S7000 because the component cables are giving the scaler some problems.

I set up the quadscan to output at triple tv and for 4x3 aspect ratio.

But then I played around for the output setting of my sony 7000 player. One setup I tried outputing 4x3. The second setting I tried outputing 16x9, so I can properly display anamorphic dvd's.

And when I set up the quadscan to input 16x9 and output 4x3, for the stewart screen. The picture seemed stretched. I guess the dvd player is properly releasing the anamorphic dvd. But the people seems to be thinner and taller.

But when I have both the dvd player outputing 4x3 and the quadscan inputing 4x3 and outputing 4x3 the picture looks normal, whether it is a 2.35 or 1.85 or 1.33 aspect ratio. But when I tried setting up the player to output 16x9 and quadscan to input 16x9 with playing anamorphic dvd's the people in the picture seems a little thinner.

Is this what anamorphic dvd's displayed properly should look like?

And is my set up correct? What else should I do to adjust and make the picture look right?

Thanks in advance, Brian

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi All,

Does anyone have any advice in terms of displaying anamorphic dvd's with a 4x3 screen?

Thanks in advance, Brian

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I think you are confused about anamophic disks.

Since you are running a 4:3 screen, unless you are planning to switch resolutions constantly you will not get any benefit from the anamorphic disc.

The idea with a CRT is to squeeze the lines of your 4:3 guns down very short to 16:9 - the anamorphic disc has already been "expanded" to compensate for this - thus the two offset each other and you get a properly stretched image, with 30% more brightness and 30% more resolution.

None of this, however, will work unless you completely refocus your CRT so that you are focused to a 16:9 aspect ratio.

If your projector supports multiple aspect ratios then set one of them up to 16:9 and go through all the convergence, etc. THEN you can set your DVD player to 16:9, your quadscan output to 16:9 and away you go.

Until then, keep DVD set to 4:3, QS output to 4:3 and you'll see things as they should be, though "letterboxed".

Been a couple of years since I owned a CRT, but I think the above should make sense to you.

Good luck.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Actually PAP, Brian is trying to do the right thing with the QS. The video processor should be compensating.

I have a QS, but have a 16x9 screen -- so other than to comment that I believe the QS should support what you are trying to do based on my understanding of the documentation I can't help much.

Have you tried contacting FE directly? Their tech support should be able to field this question.

Roo

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies and your help.

Andrew I have not tried to call them yet.

Do you know what phone number I should call them for tech support?

Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
766 Posts
Hmm, had a second and went digging through the fe site.

The answer is there, but I'll spill the beans for you.

If you have a 4x3 screen (it: 4:3 output) you can't use double/triple/quad as resolutions. These resolutions default to 16x9 output.

So, try SVGA as your resolution, set your output to 4:3 and input to 16x9 and put your DVD player into 16x9 mode.

You'll still have to switch between 16:9 input and 4:3 input depending on the DVD (ie: if it is anamorphic)

Roo

·
Registered
971 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Low
If you have a 4x3 screen (it: 4:3 output) you can't use double/triple/quad as resolutions. These resolutions default to 16x9 output.

So, try SVGA as your resolution, set your output to 4:3 and input to 16x9 and put your DVD player into 16x9 mode.
Andrew is exactly right. The QuadScan works on a source, projector, screen system.

The INPUT specifies the aspect ratio of the source material (16:9 for anamorphic), the OUTPUT specifies the screen type (4:3 for your screen).

Now the tricky bit is the OUT resolution because it IMPLICITLY specifies the aspect ratio of your projector. DBLTB, TRIPLTV and QUADTV specifies that your projector is 16:9. So you want to use VGA, SVGA, XGA or DILA.

And you're definitely correct in telling your DVD to use 16:9 despite your 4:3 screen and projector. This way all lines from the anamorphic image gets delivered to the QuadScan.

BTW you definitely should get your component input on your QuadScan working. It makes a huge difference.

Bryan

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Andrew and Bryan,

Thanks very much for your advice. I will definitely try what you have recommended.

And the component input is not working properly. I might have to send it in for service.

But I am not the original owner. I bought it used about 3 months ago.

Do you guys know if the warrenty is transferable?

Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi guys,

I have a Marquee 8500, Quadscan Pro, DaLite 4:3 screen (80" x 60") and Sony DVP 7700.

I use the 16:9 input from the 7700 (which is set to 16:9) to the Quadscan which outputs to 4:3a at triple tv (720p) to the projector. I then use the Marquee's vertical size adjustment to squeeze the image down to the proper aspect ratio. My image looks great and I believe it is at full resolution. Of course, there are black bars at the top and bottom, but this does not bother me. I have done this using both component and s-video cables.

So I am using triple and quad with the 4:3 output, so I'm unsure what the previous posts mean by saying you cannot use the double, triple, and quad resolutions with the Quadscan.

Another example: from my Sony DirecTV, I use 4:3 input to the Quadscan via s-video cable. I still use the 4:3a output at triple tv. In this case, the image fills the entire screen and the image is not distorted. I cannot see any scan lines until I get within a few feet of the screen.

After reviewing nearly every post on the Quadscan, I thought I had this set up correctly. Am I totally screwed up in my thinking?

Brian,

When you tried the component video inputs, did you try both the "auto setting" and "YUV" settings? A dumb admission on my part is that I did not read the manual carefully so I thought the "Comp" inputs were the component inputs while they are actually the composite inputs! I thought my unit was not working until I reread the manual.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sfoltz
Another example: from my Sony DirecTV, I use 4:3 input to the Quadscan via s-video cable. I still use the 4:3a output at triple tv.
When you specify Triple TV resolution, QuadScan assumes your projector is set to display widescreen. If you then specify output as 4:3a, it places the 4:3 image area on the left of the 16:9 projector area. Something like this:

*****''''

*****''''

*****''''

*****''''

Did you have to shift and size your image to the right to make it centered?

I would suggest this setup:

TRIPLETV

IN=16:9

OUT=16:9b

When watching anamorphic, squeeze the vertical size.

Alternatively, and the "correct" setting for your setup:

XGA or SVGA

IN=4:3 or 16:9 depending on source

OUT=4:3

In this case when you're watching anamorphic you won't be using the full 768 scan lines, BUT the QuadScan WILL use the full input source (anamorphic) resolution, and just add black lines on top and bottom and scale the image area.

Bryan

·
Registered
412 Posts
Thanks Bryan. I will try your suggestion.

Did Brian (bkwong73) get his component inputs to work? I definitely find it superior over the s-video input.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi All,

Thanks for all the great reply's.

Hi sfoltz, I didn't get the component inputs to work. I phoned Focus Enhancement tech support and they think there is something wrong with the unit. But unfortunately I bought this unit used from another forum member. Therefore I am not the original owner. So I am not sure how to get this fixed. Do you know if the warrenty is transferable? Do you guys have any advice on this issue if it is not.

I also tried switching the unit to do SVGA (1024x768) but the picture from my projector looked out of wack. So I think I needed to recalibrate my NEC xg75 to be able to play at that scan rate. But unfortunately Curt Palme set up my projector and I have no idea how to use it. So I guess I have to learn to do that first.

And when I do have it set to 1024x768 I might try putting an HTPC together and use the VGA pass through. I hope the HTPC will give a better, sharper, and brighter picture than my Sony 7000 with the S-Video with the Quadscan.

Thanks and keep your great advice comming.

Sincerely, Brian

·
Registered
980 Posts
Brian,

Sorry about jumping into this thread late. I use a QuadScan with a 4x3 screen. The problem you are having has been alluded in this thread. You can't use any of the 16x9 resolutions with a 4x3 screen and have the aspect control work properly. Therefore, you need to use XGA (1024x768) or DILA (1394x960) or one of the lower 4x3 resolutions like SVGA (800x600) or VGA (640x480). I use XGA for anamorphic DVD's. I then set my DVD player to output 16x9. The input aspect is set to 16x9 and the output aspect is set to 4x3A, 4x3B or 4x3C depending on if you want the picture top, middle or bottom of your 4x3 screen. I use 4x3C, since my screen is a little on the high side.

I'm concerned about the fact you can't use component input. My picture is noticably better on DVD playback with component vs S-Video. You might want to pursue that problem.

In regards to HTPC's, I do get a better picture from my Radeon scaled to [email protected] for DVD playback. I use my projector to do the vertical squeeze in thas case. The picture is enough better that I rarely use my QuadScan for DVD playback anymore. This was not the case with my previous video card (Rage Fury). With that card running at 1024x768, I couldn't tell much difference between the QuadScan and my HTPC.

Chris

·
Registered
412 Posts
Brian,

I do not know if the warranty is valid. I bought mine used, but it was from a dealer. I contacted Focus about an upgrade and was upfront about my unit's status and they still sent me the upgrade.

Now, I know that getting an upgrade and warranty work is not the same, but its worth a try. You might want to e-mail Shaun (FE) at [email protected] . If this does not pan out, you might want to contact Mike Parker at [email protected] . He did the filter modifications to my unit for a very reasonable price. I understand he knows this unit very well.

I wish you luck on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.