Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher /forum/post/18176445

Honestly - I was excited after reading your post but the video does not show what you talked about at all.

Then you are not watching closely enough.

The difference is huge to say the least..

·
Registered
157 Posts
I see the difference. Although I have to say it's a bit of an unfair comparison. The Quake is a transducer that is designed to be fixed to your couch to produce the vibrating effects of a subwoofer whereas the SVS is vibrating the couch based on air/sound pressure.

M

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher /forum/post/18176445

Honestly - I was excited after reading your post but the video does not show what you talked about at all.

Honestly, really, you can't see the water ripples in the second clip! You must be joking, right? Or maybe you got bored before the end!

At the end of the scene for the Q10B, when the space ship makes final touch down, the shake is strong enough to actually wobble the video camera image, and that's with cameras image stabilisation on!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvara /forum/post/18176880

I see the difference. Although I have to say it's a bit of an unfair comparison. The Quake is a transducer that is designed to be fixed to your couch to produce the vibrating effects of a subwoofer whereas the SVS is vibrating the couch based on air/sound pressure.

M

Over on my side of the pond people are not familiar with transducers and I have hard time convincing them that the infrasonic kick from them is way more powerful than anything you get from a sub, even a big sub. Unless you actually sit on the sub, then maybe

My main point was to illustrate that transducers operate in a different league and in a different ball game to subs. Neither sub or transducer should viewed as some sort of replacement for the other. When working in tandem the effect is very impressive and highly recommended. IMHO a big sub is essential to get the whole experience as seamless as possible.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rk /forum/post/18177727

Over on my side of the pond people are not familiar with transducers and I have hard time convincing them that the kick from them is way more powerful than anything you get from a sub, even a big sub. Unless you actually sit on the sub, then maybe

My main point was to illustrate that transducers things operate in a different league and in a different game to subs. Neither sub or transducer should viewed as some sort of replacement for the other. When working in tandem the effect is very impressive and highly recommended. A big sub is essential to get the whole experience as seamless as possible.

Well said... I agree!

I added a Buttkicker to my dual sub setup last year and couldn't be happier. It gave me the extra tactile sensation I was after in my basement theater. The level of tactile I now experience in my theater would take a number of subs to recreate. A wall of subs would obviously be the ideal solution, but certainly not the most realistic solution. Imho, if it's just tactile you're after, try out a transducer first. You might be surprized...

m4rk,

I'm curious, how big is the room? And, how far was the PB13 from the seating position?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Roughly its 7x9m with sub about 5m from the sofa. It's not a box shaped room though. The main reason being it's at the top of the house and ceiling slopes down from about 4m in the centre to 0.5m at the edges. You change meters to yards if that helps

IMHO For impact per dollar on your system a transducer has got to be one best ways of improving the HT experience you can buy.

The PB13U is filling the room with bass. I can feel it, my pants flap, the room groans and creeks, doors rattle etc. I am being pummelled. It's plenty of bass for sure but for tactile infrasonic effects its only really skin deep. For shockingly real tactile effect is where a transducer comes in. The two together, sub and transducer, is extremely good.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rk /forum/post/18177481

Honestly, really, you can't see the water ripples in the second clip! You must be joking, right? Or maybe you got bored before the end!

At the end of the scene for the Q10B, when the space ship makes final touch down, the shake is strong enough to actually wobble the video camera image, and that's with cameras image stabilisation on!

All I am saying is you said remote falling off the table ect... not saying it was bad but you built it up like it was going to take the house down thats all.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher /forum/post/18178820

All I am saying is you said remote falling off the table ect... not saying it was bad but you built it up like it was going to take the house down thats all.

Good point. I just re-read my own thread and I see what you mean. I kinda over sold it. Remotes do actually move about if placed carelessly and cushions do move about as they settle into position but I didn't video that. I will snip those words and all is well again

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Cool vid but but really dont know what your trying to say ?I mean if you strap a Ultra to your butt im sure you'll get even more ripples

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor /forum/post/18179041

Cool vid but but really dont know what your trying to say ?I mean if you strap a Ultra to your butt im sure you'll get even more ripples

Not very practical whereas a transducer is and its a serious bit of kit, no joke

·
Registered
4,047 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rk /forum/post/18180884

Not very practical whereas a transducer is and its a serious bit of kit, no joke

Seriously I bet it really does add to the special effects though

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvara /forum/post/18181209

How do you hook the transducer to the amp? Are you splitting the LFE channel then using a cheap amp to drive it?

Yes its a Y split in the sub pre out. One leg goes to the sub as normal and the other to the Quake 10B amp. I am using a not so cheap amp, Earthquakesound XJ-600R but cheaper amps could be used.

Actually, I also have an SVS EQ1 to complicate things a little and my Y splt is taken after SV EQ1 bass management. I am hoping that SVS/Audessey will allow the use of sub B with a flat profile for the transducer and sub A with EQ for the PB13U. Thats not my idea but stevefish69's. The questions are being asked and SVS has responded. Its being discussed here if anyone is interested in transducers and bass management, SVS EQ1, antimode integration.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts