AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
3,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are like me, the 004 is still running happily in the theater. Only ultimate black levels are compromised when compared to other similar units. In every other area, the 004 excels, thank you very much.

I've been in touch with Wm Phelps, who some time ago developed a method to perform a complete panel calibration on the 004. This was based on a similar solution he developed for the early JVC LCOS projectors. The results of the calibration - just about perfect gamma tracking and no discoloration.

LCOS projectors are notorious for color defects (right now, I have a greenish tint in the upper right area, and reddish tint at the bottom 3rd of the screen).

I'm hoping that he will come out to perform the calibration - it could take 2 days to perform, and the cost will be substantial, but far far less than replacement. From what I understand, the improvement is breathtaking.

I live in the DC area. Is anyone else interested? Let me know.

· Registered
27,743 Posts
Wow... Phelps is still doing this?

His name was everywhere a few years ago and now, no where!

I'm sure PeterS would be interested. He digs his 004 as much as you do!

· Premium Member
3,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG /forum/post/18123999

Wm's name is not no where, he is just low key and doesn't post on the forum very much if at all. He was incolved with the Meridian 4K projecor

Yep, I'm in touch with him via FB.

· Registered
27,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG /forum/post/18123999

Wm's name is not no where, he is just low key and doesn't post on the forum very much if at all. He was incolved with the Meridian 4K projecor

Gotcha... He was 'the man' here years ago in the DILA days. Didn't JVC release a 'Phelps Edition' DILA years back?

Good to know he can tweak the good old 004.

If he could do something with the CR (and 1080P24), that machine would still have major demand.... well only if the bulb prices were more reasonable and there wasn't such a gigantic drop off in brightness after the first 200 hours

I was able to input 1080P24sF (from 24P) with my old Lumagen Radiance and it looked great... Not as great as straight 1080P24 great, but very good indeed.

Great build quality. Nice piece. I sold mine for around $6K and the buyer was thrilled to own it (and it somehow fit in the back seat of his Audi A8 for the ride to Chicago).

· Registered
27,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG /forum/post/18124191

William was the G90 King, he new about service menus on the G90 that even many Sony techs were not aware of.

You're right. I recall that now. I was not a G-90 owner but I do recall that.

· Registered
2,362 Posts
Mike - please keep me updated on this. If you can shoot me a PM with the details. I am always interested in keeping my Qualia up and fit!

· Registered
3,364 Posts
I loved my Qualia, and even returned to one after going to (an excellent) Sharp XV-Z20000. But I will say that once you've gotten used to a projector with significantly better contrast ratios than the Qualia, you realize that there are advancements for which you just can't compensate. I went from the Qualia to the VPL-VW200 (which bettered the Qualia in most, but not all characteristics, chiefly brightness).

Now I'm with a lampless projector, the Runco Q-750i. It's an excellent projector, though the Qualia had a certain panache that probably still stands alone.

Keep in mind that, if you keep the housing to the lamp (when it runs out), you can get a replacement bulb for well under $1000 (contact Ralph Fenton from Atlas. His number is 813 238 6481--at the time, he told me to provide the housing, and he would replace it with the identical bulb for, I think, $750).

I never took him up on it, but I did buy a few Qualia bulbs on eBay, with the owner uncertain as to life in them. I think I paid between $100 and $200 for each of them, but they have value just for the housings.

Other than the contrast/black level issues, the Qualia remains a top performer. But those are not insignificant issues. Keep in mind, too, that the used market for Qualias on eBay is now at an all-time low (and getting lower). That, along with the purchasing the bulbs on a discounted basis, probably keeps the Qualia as a viable option, but bulb-maintenance continues to be a factor in the prudence of owning one.

Still, a wonderful product, and one that all owners should remain proud to have in their set-up.

Thanks,

Nick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.