AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 17427 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
I would also like to add that the delivery company did a very good job and was much better than most including the 2 times I had people move the toshiba!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Generally Sony TVs have inputs labeled "TV" (for the coax) and then Video 1-7. You can usually re-label the video inputs to "Skip" which skips them when pressing the "TV/Video" button (who would want to cycle through all the inputs all the time?). I don't believe you can Skip the "TV" input.

If you have a programmable remote, all the Video inputs also have discrete IR codes.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks Scott. Thats what I thought. I was trying to find a way to skip the TV input as I don't use that. I think JB or someone already uploaded some codes to the Harmony database.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I think I read somewhere that Sony is comming out with a 56" version of this set. Anyone have any info on that?

·
Registered
383 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by JimP
The whitest white is 255, 255,255 and the blackest black is 3,3,3. In a scene that's probably around 50% APL, that's incredible.

I don't think it would be safe to say this from the 006 picture that was taken by a digital camera...errr...was it taken by a digital camera or exported to a HD-recorder/computer? Because if the picture was taken via a digital camera, the blacks and whites (along with the colors) will already be biased by the camera's mechanics.

I'm very interested in comparing the black levels of this 006 with Sony's other GWIV LCD RPTVs. Can any of you 006 owners please perhaps run a black level/contrast test and post results/screenshots?

·
Registered
514 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by slimoli
ColorTV,

Can you record HD programs from cable/satellite using the JVC DVHS/Sony Firewire or just HD OTA using the Sony tuner? Does the firewire output the HD signal even if you are using an external tuner?

Many thanks and congrats for such a wonderful machine.

Sergio

Comcast is due here any minute to install HD cable and an HD DVR. Their Motorola box has a Firewire port on it which I have been told will allow HD recording to DVHS. I plan to use the Motorola DVR to timeshift then archive to DVHS if necessary. The Motorola HD DVR only records 10 hours of HD on its 120 gig hard drive, so I won't be banking anything on it long term. I want to find out if I can put a larger hard drive in the box or find someone to do it for me. Of course Comcast only leases the DVR so it's not mine to keep - just as good!

·
Registered
514 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Squawks
I don't think it would be safe to say this from the 006 picture that was taken by a digital camera...errr...was it taken by a digital camera or exported to a HD-recorder/computer? Because if the picture was taken via a digital camera, the blacks and whites (along with the colors) will already be biased by the camera's mechanics.

I'm very interested in comparing the black levels of this 006 with Sony's other GWIV LCD RPTVs. Can any of you 006 owners please perhaps run a black level/contrast test and post results/screenshots?

Squawks,

There is no comparison between the blacks of the 006 vs LCD RPTV's. SXRD blacks are vastly superior, but still not as good as CRT. Still, no current RPTV can match the blacks of SXRD.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I doubt the PIP feature on the 006 will allow 2 high-def sources to be displayed at once. I checked the manual for their 34" current XBR model (KD34xbr960) and it allows one digital and one analog picture, with the digital on the left side only.

My 006 arrives Friday a.m. also.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I read someplace on the web that buyers of the 006 will receive a personal thank you letter from their cierge and special invitaions to Sony events. Any input from 006 owners on this?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by colortv
Squawks,

There is no comparison between the blacks of the 006 vs LCD RPTV's. SXRD blacks are vastly superior, but still not as good as CRT. Still, no current RPTV can match the blacks of SXRD.

Thank you for making that distinction!!

So many times people refer to CRT and I assume since we are in a RPTV forum that they are referring to RP-CRT!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by kaduku
I read someplace on the web that buyers of the 006 will receive a personal thank you letter from their cierge and special invitaions to Sony events. Any input from 006 owners on this?

I was wondering if SONY would be wanting feedback from you early adopters.

If so, please please please, even though you may be extremely happy with your purchase, also let them know any shortcomings you can!

This set seems like a giant leap, but let's get them to push the envelope!

(ie: removable protective screen, 1080p input, etc.)

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Are you saying that SXRD technology gives better blacks than current top of the line RPTV CRTS, including the ones with 9 inch guns?

If true, I wasn't aware we had crossed into that stage yet. Wow.

Quote:
Squawks,

·
Registered
882 Posts

Quote:
The forthcoming Harmony 880 remote looks very cool - it's the one I am likely go go with. I just spoke to Logitech - it should be available in April. Meanwhile, I'm stuck with remote clutter and excessive button pushing - yuk!

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=9933

Thanks Colortv on the info on the Harmony 880. It does look cool and I want one too. I thought I could deal with so many remotes, but it is getting ridiculous. Also I didn't know programming this thing is so darn easy.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Has anyone hooked their set up to Time Warner Cable's HD feed yet? I'm curious to hear a report on the PQ. DirectTV hasn't received good reviews, so im hoping the cableco's signals run better with this set. Thanks

·
Registered
733 Posts
Colortv , Kaduku, et al.

Check this link out for the Home Theater Master mx-700 and mx-800. I have the 800 (available now) and it is a great universal remote. The Harmony also is very good, but the HTM is considered more powerful (more features, etc. and it comes - the 800 version - with RF capabilities).

http://www.remotecentral.com/mx700/index13.htm

The bulb has a rated life of 2000 to 2500 hours. The set keeps track of the number of hours in the user menu. A Replacement is $300 and is not covered by the 3-year Qualia warranty, HOWEVER, I was told that if you purchase the set now, there is some sort of special program in effect that will cover the first bulb. It is a Sony part, and I don't know if you can purchase it, or a generic version, from anyone else. I was told by the Sony cierge that you can't get it elsewhere.

·
Registered
882 Posts
nhey,

Thanks also for the additional info. It's always good to know whats out there and to compare them with eachother.

Glad to hear that your unit will be delivered on Friday. My set is just across the bay (less than 35 miles), but they still have called me on a delivery date. I feel like renting a U-Haul and picking it up myself.

·
Registered
882 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by nhey
Colortv , Kaduku, et al.

The bulb has a rated life of 2000 to 2500 hours. The set keeps track of the number of hours in the user menu. A Replacement is $300 and is not covered by the 3-year Qualia warranty, HOWEVER, I was told that if you purchase the set now, there is some sort of special program in effect that will cover the first bulb. It is a Sony part, and I don't know if you can purchase it, or a generic version, from anyone else. I was told by the Sony cierge that you can't get it elsewhere.

I talked to my cierge in LV. He did confirm to me that they will provide a replacment bulb for the 006 within the 3 year warranty period. He said that this is not part of the warranty and is a special promotion for the new owners. He did not know how long the promotion was for. He also said that the bulb should burn out within the 3 years under normal use based on his experience on the 004. I would just call and say that the bulb burnt out, even if it didn't before the 3 year anniversary. C'mon now, thats 300 bucks.

·
Registered
383 Posts
ColorTV, I'm sorry - I should have been more specific in my questions. I was more particularly interested in the SXRD's ability to avoid "black crush"...which is pretty prevalent among LCD RPTV's. I've managed to calibrate my set to avoid nearly all black crush but I still feel like there's room for improvement in my 55XS. Just wondering how much better the XSRD is faring in this issue.

21 - 40 of 17427 Posts