1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have just started to put together my first HTPC

I've just taken delivery of an Asus TUSL2-C and a PIII 1.0

(Thanks to everyone here for the advice :) )

I was craving stability and quiet above all else. I can't wait to see it in action. I've only ever seen one other and that was Kryton (by forum member JeffY)

I am just choosing the last few components and was wondering if there are any quality alternatives to the Airboard IR Keyboard.

They don't seem to be available here in the UK and I am looking to build earlier than a US delivery would take to come through :(

If there isn't I may just have to put up with the wait though.

I could always build with an old keyboard and fit the Airboard later.

The remote I am using is the Marantz RC2000MkII

Thanks guys - I know I haven't posted much but I've been reading for going on 100 hours :0

Alex

·
Registered
165 Posts
Actually Manchester is probably the best place to buy an Airboard that I ever found! I got mine from www.planetmicro.co.uk on 0161 205 3555. They list it as an Arrowana wireless keyboard for £24. For some reason they list it on the PS2 keyboard page not the wireless one, don't know why.

Hope you have fun with your new HTPC, you can always drop me a line if you need help.

Oh yea, and Sound on sound in town sell m-audio sound cards at good prices!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I'll try to save you some time from searching through the forum here. There is quite a bit of information on this. The bottom line is that you have to evaluate your needs. Some only want basic command controls. Some want gaming ability. Some want htpc control along with effective www browsing ability.

As I see it there really are only a few products out there that come close to filling our needs as htpc enthusiasts. As you have already mentioned the airboard is an excellent choice. The line of sight is very good with this product but not perfect. For those of us with equipment behind us the intel wireless packages are very good since they are rf. The gamepad is of course always nice for gaming ability. If the keyboard itself came with mouse control this product would really be a no-brainer. Personally, I have gone a bit of a different route. When the powerbuy came around to get the philips receivers and ir keyboards I jumped on it and got the receiver (I kick myself everyday for not getting the keyboard too...if anyone out there has one for sale please let me know). The receiver with the Philips Pronto remote allows me to control ALL my equipment including my htpc in one little remote control. By using the mouse moude on my pronto it emulates a touchpad and I can control my mouse. The only thing that isn't easy is typing in long web site addresses but since I don't do this very often via my htpc it isn't that big of a deal. However, as mentioned above I still wish I had the keyboard that came along with it.

Anyway, I think that sums up a few good options. The intel and airboard package are both very good. You really can't go wrong with either. Keep in mind the intel package does eat up batteries though.

Good luck!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, thanks danny

I've just looked up Arrowana and it does indeed seem to be the Airboard in diguise.

Good find

I shall get myself down there one lunchtime.

I'm assuming you can lengthen the reciever cable to any length - I will need about 3.5 meters. Is this easy? It just looks like bellwire type stuff.

Cheers

Alex

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I rang Planet Micro

They've sold out and have not ordered any more

I rang the supplier who has aslo sold out - they gave me a number for a shop in Birmingham who bought the last lot. It just rings and rings!

I'm having trouble finding any Pioneer DVD drives in stock also!

It's just not my day :(

Any other ideas?

Alex

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.