AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am amazed at how many owners of 503cmxs here post about inconsistent quaility control. Buzz...some do some dont. Pixel burn out some come that way some dont. It seems over 50% of the 503 cmxs arrived with one or more of these annoying problems.

Here's my question. Do Elite owners experience this? How about Hitachi CMP5000 owners? As you guys know I bought the CMP5000 and have NONE of these problems. I just double checked the buzz by putting on a bright scene from the 5th element DVD (the gorgeous red head falling out the window) with the sound muted. Only by sticking my ear next to the rear of the TV could I hear the buzz. From the front 3 inches away I hear nothing.

Since no other CMP5000 owner has posted here, I'm wondering if I just was one of the lucky 1/2? Similarly, I haven't seen any Elite owners post here (as most of them are presumably not too savvy, at least internet savvy enough to have found this forum otherwise they likely would not have shelled out $5000+ extra for an Elite) so I don't know if its a problem for them also. But darn, every time I come to this forum, there are 2 or 3 new posts complaining about buzz or bad pixels on cmx503s.

So am I being a conspiracy under every rock type, or is it possible that Pioneer, knowing that it sells the 503cmx in quantity to those more concerned with cost skimps on quality control and has more tolerance for flaws when shipping the 503cmxs?

I think its highly plausible that Hitachi would have a different quality control standard, or for that matter, Pioneer might be more sensitive to this issue if they want to continue the "subcontract" relationship with Hitachi. I would suspect Hitachi would be on Pioneer's case if they received continuing customer complaints...

But who knows? Its probably more likely that this is a problem with all 3 but there just hasn't been enough posts from Elite/Hitachi owners to get any sampling.

Thoughts?

No doubt I would be very p***ed is I shelled out $6000 plus for a TV setup and by random luck was shipped a unit with these flaws. Face it, someone doesn't spend that kind of dough for a plasma unless they are a perfectionist about the picture quality. If you want size only, you can go cheaper and bigger with projection so I am shocked that Pioneer gets away with this.

·
Registered
202 Posts
We have a very skewed population on this forum. There have been only a handful of Elite and HD owners posting here. And as you point out, no other Hitachi CMP5000 owner has posted here.

As a long-time reader to the forum, I'd estimate that of the Pioneer-based 50" display owners on this forum, 80 to 90 percent own the 503CMX. And that, of course, is because the 503CMX typically enjoys a better discount than other 50" plasmas, especially at the online dealers who sponsor this forum ( not to mention the effects of perfect storms when the coupons align at another unamed online dealer, dude. :rolleyes: )

Also, it's just human nature that folks with bad experiences are MUCH more likely to post, and repost, than folks who had good experiences. Furthermore, a good horror story is much more memorable.

Statistically speaking, the nature of the sample poplutaion on this forum is quite biased, so we must be careful with drawing any conclusions.

I, for one, am a happy 503CMX owner, who has had no trouble. (Knock on wood.)

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
There is no doubt Pioneer knows that the 503s are almost infinitely more likely to be used in industrial/commercial applications than the Elite or the Hitachi.

Whether that actual influences what panels wind up where is another matter. But it's almost equally impossible to believe that being aware of the situation, it doesn't influence what goes where at least a little bit.

That said, the wise man above sixsevans correctly notes a lot about our sample size, our skewed population, etc.

Mark

·
Registered
569 Posts
I recall a poll over 1 year ago where it was clear that the dead pixel rate was similar between the Pro1000HD and 503CMX (I have 1 dead pixel on a 503 purchased Nov 2001 - but there were lots of 1000HD owners with 1 or 2 bad ones). However, there were NO complaints of buzzing for the first 10 months of ANY units shipped as I recall. Buzzing threads on AVS forum were ONLY about a few Panasonic units that needed their capacitors replaced. So this is a relatively new Pioneer phenomenon and probably represents a manufacturing change or a release of "second string" units in anticipation of a new model release. Whatever the reason, it is unacceptable. The recent inclusion of a note in the box stating that units will buzz and this is "normal" behavior is a real slap in the face IMO. Howard

·
Super Moderator
21,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Plasman
The recent inclusion of a note in the box stating that units will buzz and this is "normal" behavior is a real slap in the face IMO. Howard
I think Panasonic handled the buzzing problem much better than Pioneer:

I recall in Oct 01 when reports first surfaced on this forum of buzzing 42 Panasonic plasmas- Panasonic took the initiative to contact owners and offer a fix: they called me even though my Panny did not buzz

Mark

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Thats a good point Mark, I remember that well.

We also don't hear much about Dead/Stuck Pixels on the Panasonic these days as well.

Quality Control, I guess, is in the eyes of the Plasma holder.

You roll the dice and take your chances.

Dave

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I will concur that there appears to be a quality-control issue with Pioneer. But I speculate a lot of it is due to us buying a panel whose primary use is unaffected by the perceived quality issue.

That said, the Panasonics bought are largely in the same boat and they don't buzz annoying and don't come with as many bad pixels -- or so it seems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.