AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I donwloaded a recording from 5504 (medium quality) and ran it through rtvedit and rtvconvert. When I play the resulting mpg on the computer(19"), I see noticable degradation in quality. Specifically, I see visible lines appear on the video. Also, Nero and VCDEasy did not accept the resulting mpg for SVCD creation. The mpg plays fine in WMP 9 prior to rtvedit/convert. I need to clip few mins before and after the show, any alternatives to rtvedit/convert?

Is this expected? Any tools to avoid degradation?? I did not burn it to see how it looks on my 65" TV.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think you're mixing multiple issues here. From what I understand, rtvedit/convert don't change the video content in a way that would degrade image quality, and I haven't heard of similar problems elsewhere. Could you describe the visible lines more? Are they horizontal, vertical? Thick, thin, at the edge, in the center? etc.

You could try Womble to edit the video; it costs $. There are also graphical utilities that manipulate rtvedit but with a simplified interface.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rtvedit seems to alter the quality for sure. It did change the video content and quality, it tried it on two different 3GB mpgs. Both look fine before edit and have horizontal lines after the edit. The lines appear most prononuced around moving objects on the screen.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The lines you're seeing are due to interlacing (analog tv is interlaced, and your monitor is progressive, so you see lines inbetween). However, you should be seeing these before AND after.

-vasu

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
holy crap... we're still discussing interlacing. =)

What you are seeing is the interlacing and you should (like vasu stated) be seeing this before and after. The only reason I can think not would because the codec that is used for both stream may not be the same. One may apply a decomb stage (combing is what it's called when you see the two different images interleaved like you describe).

Some players have filtering build in, VLC is an example. Generally it's a feature of the player, but I gues the codec could do this (I honestly know no mpeg codec/filters that do this, more a player option). VLC, zoomplayer and I believe powerDVD allow you to turn on bob or weave filters as options.

I'm really curious if gspot reports the same render path for pre and post edits. This would really answer the quesiton of what's going on. If the edited file changes enough a different filter may be chosen to do the decoding, so you may get different results.

Regardless, the interleaving is correct. You won't notice it on an interlaced display (including your PC monitor if you can put it into an interlaced display mode)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for answering.

Couple of follow-up questions:

1. Is there a way to find out which CODEC is being used by the mpeg player? (I do not see any interlacing before edit, only after edit- this happens with two mpeg players that I have tried so far...)

2. Does this mean that if I burn the mpegs on a DVD and if the DVD player has progressive scan connection to the TV that I will see the interlacing on TV as well? What if I use S-Video or composite video??

3. I am able to use converted mpegs for DVD creation, but not for SVCD creation. Any tools to make the mpegs SVCD compliant?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
1) Gspot

2) You NEVER want progressive scan enabled on interlaced source materials. The DVD player can do it, but it's dumb to do so. You introduce a lot of filtering and such. You'll have better results switching the player back to interlaced mode for these DVDs and back to progressive for 24fps movies.

3) tmpgenc there are a few others. But, I don't know which to suggest, I've already given my suggestion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.