AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone verify that if I'm mostly streaming 1:1 MKV blu-ray rips that there's really no difference which player I use? I'm planning to use a 27" imac I have in the same room. I thought I needed to with something like Jriver and it's madvr setup for the ultimate quality, but from what I'm reading there's really no quality difference if I'm all I'm playing are straight blu-ray sources. It would certainly be simpler if I didn't need to go the bootcamp route and just used Kodi or Plex. If it's worth the effort, I'd gladly do it... I might anyway so that I can bitstream DTS-HD which apparently I can't do in OS 10.9

·
Registered
761 Posts
Can someone verify that if I'm mostly streaming 1:1 MKV blu-ray rips that there's really no difference which player I use? I'm planning to use a 27" imac I have in the same room. I thought I needed to with something like Jriver and it's madvr setup for the ultimate quality, but from what I'm reading there's really no quality difference if I'm all I'm playing are straight blu-ray sources. It would certainly be simpler if I didn't need to go the bootcamp route and just used Kodi or Plex. If it's worth the effort, I'd gladly do it... I might anyway so that I can bitstream DTS-HD which apparently I can't do in OS 10.9
For video quality a 1:1 mkv rip of a BD can be achieved without a bunch of fancy tweaking. Madvr is mostly for upscaling and the cleaning up of images. Depending on the quality of display you are using, you could still manage some small benefit from madvr, but you would be looking at the sort of filter selections that are highly intensive, and require a fairly powerful dedicated GPU.

If all you are ripping is BDs, then yes, you can easily get away with just using Kodi, Media Browser, or Plex (or some combination).

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you watching it on an iMac then I assume through some PC speakers? Why are you worrying about quality?
That's the part where I said "in the same room." Anyway, will be using my dedicated home theater setup. The iMac just happens to be in the room making it a convenient way to make a HTPC hub.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For video quality a 1:1 mkv rip of a BD can be achieved without a bunch of fancy tweaking. Madvr is mostly for upscaling and the cleaning up of images. Depending on the quality of display you are using, you could still manage some small benefit from madvr, but you would be looking at the sort of filter selections that are highly intensive, and require a fairly powerful dedicated GPU.

If all you are ripping is BDs, then yes, you can easily get away with just using Kodi, Media Browser, or Plex (or some combination).
Perfect. Thank you. That's exactly what I needed. I still may do it for the bit streaming... I've had weird experiences converting to PCM where some times the bass boost wasn't applied properly and things of that nature. And unless someone knows differently 10.9 doesn't support HD codecs for bit streaming audio.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts