AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of plunging into the world of HDTV if I am unable to buy a Dell Inspiron 9300 for school. The only LCD I know of at this range is the Dell 19". I am looking at this because it has 2 Component Inputs.This will be used for both PC monitor and a TV.

Are there any other LCDs I should be looking at, or that anyone has had a good experience with?

My budget would most likely be in the $600 range, give or take $50 or so.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Frys has a 26" Syntax Olevia in your range with no rebates.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, there is no Fry's near me (near Baltimore, MD). So that one may be out of the picture. Have you had any experience with this TV? Stuff like, how many component in's and picture quality and such.

EDIT: Just went to Fry's part of the Outpost.com site and that TV is listed over my budget, so thats most likely a no-go.

[MSRP ONLY]

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmelzer2004
Unfortunately, there is no Fry's near me (near Baltimore, MD). So that one may be out of the picture. Have you had any experience with this TV? Stuff like, how many component in's and picture quality and such.
In this price range pic quality isnt going to be the best in SD. For that matter pic quality on LCD's in SD is not the best on many LCD TV's. I looked at the 32" Syntax in SD and it turned me off from the TV. But that will probably be the same for every TV in this price range.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There are tons of LCD TVs in this price range. The most likely size will be around 20 inches. Just go to any of the major manufacturers (Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, Toshiba, Sharp, or even some of the smaller ones) website and find one of their 20 inch models. Then, search for the best price on Froogle or ResellerRatings or some other comparison shopping site.

There is another option. Dell frequently discounts their PC Widescreen LCD Monitors, so you could buy one of those and also buy a HDTV tuner card. Call Dell's 1800 number and negotiate with them for either their 2005fp or 2405fpw monitor. You can get these for substantially less than they are posted for on their site. Then go buy a hdtv tuner card from amazon, and install it into your desktop pc.

Personally, I'm preparing to buy the 2405fpw for my college dorm room. Because this monitor has DVI, Component, Composite, and S-video input connections, it will also support console gaming (ps2, xbox) and dvd player input. Also, it is 24 inches and widescreen and supports crystal clear 1900x1200 resolution (better than hd).

Dell monitors link: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...ctlisting.aspx

·
Banned
314 Posts
You can get a 27 inch for that price

www.costco.com

Screen Size: 27" TFT LCD

Aspect Ratio: 16:9

Resolution: 1280 x 720

Brightness: 550 cd/m²

Contrast Ratio: 600:1

Response Time: 16ms

Viewing Angle: 170° H/170H° V

Audio:

Built-in speakers: 16 Total watts

Subwoofer: RCA Jack x 1

Surround sound

Mute

Signals:

Video System Compatibility: NTSC, PAL, SECAM

SDTV, HDTV (1080i, 720p, 480p,480i)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately the 24" from dell is the only one to support Component-in =/

Also, have you guys heard anything good about that costco TV?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.